Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'm wandering were these polls were made, I mean here at this side he didn't made it into the Top50 of the last popularity poll.

I think even in polls for the favorit Teen Titan (for the animated show) he was usally not in the top 3, but that might of course have changed with Teen Titans Go!
    Comic book readers are very analog. The internet only represents a tiny fraction of comic book readers. Not sure if this is true or not but I came across a statistic recently that said that only about 10% of comic book readers use twitter. If that statistic is true then I'm sure this site is only represented by a very very tiny fraction of comic book readers.

I'm wandering were these polls were made, I mean here at this side he didn't made it into the Top50 of the last popularity poll.

I think even in polls for the favorit Teen Titan (for the animated show) he was usally not in the top 3, but that might of course have changed with Teen Titans Go!
    CBR forums is an incredibly tiny niche. Lots of people here complain about Batman, but guess who is the one character whose solo is at the top of the charts and outsells the JL all by himself? This forum is a couple hundred of people at most, not at all representative of the general public.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Justice League Origin being my first Justice League book, he interests me the least for meta reasons. His age difference compared to the others, the fact that I know he's a Titans even when I never read his or Titans story beforehand, and my own disinterest in sci-fi and machines in general.

As a solo hero, I'm as interested in him as other sci-fi or robot characters like RoboCop, American Cyborg, and Terminator, meaning not really. I like the American Cyborgs and Terminators as villains. Cold scary machines. Not so much the protagonist.

That's subjective. Objectively, Cyborg I see hasn't broken the glass ceiling. They tried 3 times with his series, each getting canceled after a short number, so he's not on Wally, Dick, and Harley's level yet. His other team book, Justice League Odyssey, is also sold really low.

I'm not gonna talk about any problems behind the scenes, writing quality, or people's interests that may contribute to low sales. I don't know about all that. All I know is low sales or cancellations.

Snyderverse helps sell them as Justice League to the public, but for people who already dip their toes to comics and cartoons, he's still mainly known as Titans.

Among fandom in general, I'd say he's a B. He's very well known.
    In comics though, he's a C. He hasn't gone long enough with a solo yet.

Like if A is Batman, B is Batgirl, and Cyborg hasn't reached that yet.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm not gonna talk about any problems behind the scenes, writing quality, or people's interests that may contribute to low sales. I don't know about all that. All I know is low sales or cancellations.
    You need to because that all plays a part in everything.

We have had books get DERAILED by editorial way too much including books that sold.
    We have had characters ruined by editorial and they sold books-see Wally West & Cassandra Cain and JSA.
    With Cyborg editors have been hellbent in keeping certain stories lines restricted to him.
    Man versus Machine and Daddy don't love me stories.

Cyborg much like Static before him got stuck with a bad editor (the same one LOL) who had ZERO issues telling writers that they did not know how to write. That is what chased off David Walker and others from DC.
    Writers who have zero issues getting WORK. While that now former editor is screaming he was fired for being black. Folks with 25 years experience shouldn't have issues finding work.

Synderverse trash does not help. That is ONE movie. We saw Cyborg as a Leaguer in 1985-86 and in McDuffie's FINAL DC project-Justice League Doom.

Folks were STILL questioning why was Cyborg on Justice League. Because DC made little to NO effort to sell him as a leaguer in books. Folks see a BODY of work with Cyborg as a Teen Titan.

Folks ask where is that push at that when we look at Marvel-we saw it with Miles, Panther, Cage, Falcon, Carol, Moon Knight, Kate Bishop and others. So the push to move up is there.

Cyborg? He can't be ranked because no one has been given a fair shot to develop him without SOMEONE trying to screw it up.

Ultimate Member

I would suspect outside of comic book stores. What folks do not understand is the comic book store is not the end all for a character. These characters appear in other places that many of us do not see or even know.

You have to understand what OTHER stuff does he appear in that most here would not notice.

Go through Amazon and see how much Cyborg stuff is there. That is NOT counting overseas or Mexico. I remember seeing stuff from the last Fantastic Four movie in Mexico that never made it here. John Stewart has some stuff that was only made in France and never made it here.

Also how much CUSTOM stuff has been made with Cyborg. A kid came to my school in custom John Stewart denim jacket. I have seen custom made Static shoes more than once.
    How many daycares have someone paint Cyborg on the wall? I know a daycare that has Power Rangers SPD painted on it.

What school only exclusive stuff does Cyborg have? Example the WWE offered schools free Black History poster that had Shelton, Ron Simmons, Booker T, The Rock and Mark Henry on it. With Cyborg on a cartoon show-guess what we get that stuff be it posters, book marks or whatever.

Also with him pretty much being the ONLY black DC character to be seen everywhere (before John Stewart on JL)-that is another boost.

So yeah I can believe he would rank 3rd. Because he, Superman & Batman never had a LULL in outside appearances.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I would suspect outside of comic book stores. What folks do not understand is the comic book store is not the end all for a character. These characters appear in other places that many of us do not see or even know.

You have to understand what OTHER stuff does he appear in that most here would not notice.

Go through Amazon and see how much Cyborg stuff is there. That is NOT counting overseas or Mexico. I remember seeing stuff from the last Fantastic Four movie in Mexico that never made it here. John Stewart has some stuff that was only made in France and never made it here.

Also how much CUSTOM stuff has been made with Cyborg. A kid came to my school in custom John Stewart denim jacket. I have seen custom made Static shoes more than once.
    How many daycares have someone paint Cyborg on the wall? I know a daycare that has Power Rangers SPD painted on it.

What school only exclusive stuff does Cyborg have? Example the WWE offered schools free Black History poster that had Shelton, Ron Simmons, Booker T, The Rock and Mark Henry on it. With Cyborg on a cartoon show-guess what we get that stuff be it posters, book marks or whatever.

Also with him pretty much being the ONLY black DC character to be seen everywhere (before John Stewart on JL)-that is another boost.

So yeah I can believe he would rank 3rd. Because he, Superman & Batman never had a LULL in outside appearances.

You beat me to it. All of this ^

If DC performs analysis of subject matter across multiple polls and data sets that poll clearly included data from cartoons , sales of shampoo bottles with DC character tops, licensing to candy brands like Kinder Egg Surprise in Europe , DC miniatures sold in Italy, comic books , toy sales , etc. .

Anyone who think the only Cyborg related data would be what comic readers provide is being a bit...myopic.

Also I'd add that a large percentage of my comic purchases are digital. The comic shop isn't...a critical part of my comic buying experience so It definitely doesn't take into account my views since I'm rarely there.
    Last edited by Customizer; 08-04-2021 at 02:17 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Incredible Member

From a human being who actually worked for DC, wrote a Cyborg series and knows first hand .

Brand. Equity.

If I had more space, I'd break down the comprehensive marketing study that was done years ago, which determined that Cyborg was the third most popular DC character at the time across all demographics and quadrants. Cyborg was a huge franchise waiting to happen.
    3:14 PM · Apr 6, 2021·

Last edited by Customizer; 08-04-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

I heard Cyborg was ranked as the world champion of Stankball. does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    Cyborg has Low A list / High B List potential in visual media but currently is ...C list at best in comics. His comic potential is probably capped at high B list due to DC refusing to make minor changes to the character that would bring in more fans.
    Honestly, his movie treatment was a lot more like his Super-friends incarnation in importance. I mean, in that old cartoon he was a full-time Justice League member. Sure.. he was the "junior" member, but he was an actual member, and not a kid sidekick.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

You need to because that all plays a part in everything.

We have had books get DERAILED by editorial way too much including books that sold.
    We have had characters ruined by editorial and they sold books-see Wally West & Cassandra Cain and JSA.
    With Cyborg editors have been hellbent in keeping certain stories lines restricted to him.
    Man versus Machine and Daddy don't love me stories.

Cyborg much like Static before him got stuck with a bad editor (the same one LOL) who had ZERO issues telling writers that they did not know how to write. That is what chased off David Walker and others from DC.
    Writers who have zero issues getting WORK. While that now former editor is screaming he was fired for being black. Folks with 25 years experience shouldn't have issues finding work.

Synderverse trash does not help. That is ONE movie. We saw Cyborg as a Leaguer in 1985-86 and in McDuffie's FINAL DC project-Justice League Doom.

Folks were STILL questioning why was Cyborg on Justice League. Because DC made little to NO effort to sell him as a leaguer in books. Folks see a BODY of work with Cyborg as a Teen Titan.

Folks ask where is that push at that when we look at Marvel-we saw it with Miles, Panther, Cage, Falcon, Carol, Moon Knight, Kate Bishop and others. So the push to move up is there.

Cyborg? He can't be ranked because no one has been given a fair shot to develop him without SOMEONE trying to screw it up.
    Okay so in other words DC sees Cyborg as C at best, because that's the most effort that they're willing to give to him.

Extraordinary Member

But where outside of comics shops.
    I mean unless they asked a lot's of people, who mainly watch Teen Titans/Teen Titans Go! it seem pretty hard to believe that Cyborg would be the third most popular character.
    Last edited by Aahz; 08-05-2021 at 01:34 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Cyborg is a Titan.
    I’ll never accept him as a JL founder member, it doesen’t fit him.
    Being a Titan is the best in my personal Universe, a little less in the actual DC Universe.
    I think that Victor works better as a niche character than a mainstream.
    Doom Patrol’s Cyborg > Justice League movie’ Cyborg by far.

I love the character but I don’t need him as a solo. I’ve always found boring his solo attempts.
    He works fine in Team (Titans and lately in Doom Patrol serie) but he’s not Justice League material, that’s my opinion.

He's C list. It's really sad that DC quit on the character all that just to place him back with the Junior Justice League, The Nostalgia Crew or the Titans as most people call them. Do people even care about the Titans in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Cyborg is a Titan.
    I’ll never accept him as a JL founder member, it doesen’t fit him.
    Being a Titan is the best in my personal Universe, a little less in the actual DC Universe.
    I think that Victor works better as a niche character than a mainstream.
    Doom Patrol’s Cyborg > Justice League movie’ Cyborg by far.

I love the character but I don’t need him as a solo. I’ve always found boring his solo attempts.
    He works fine in Team (Titans and lately in Doom Patrol serie) but he’s not Justice League material, that’s my opinion.
    You say you're a Cyborg fan. But idk you have a weird way of showing it.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I hate that Cyborg was shoehorned into the JLA at the expense of Martian Manhunter.
    And then, he was written as a glorified doorman.
    Even his solo title failed in writing a compelling story on him.
    I see him as a top tier supporting character - NOT a lead.
    That said, he's a favourite Titan.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.