Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    He's C list. It's really sad that DC quit on the character all that just to place him back with the Junior Justice League, The Nostalgia Crew or the Titans as most people call them. Do people even care about the Titans in 2021?
    I care for Titans, yes. And I don’t care about Justice League.
    Titans are not JL jr. this is a mistake DC is doing for a long time.
    Titans is family, when DC will remember that maybe the franchise could get up.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    You say you're a Cyborg fan. But idk you have a weird way of showing it.
    Maybe cause beeing a Titan for me is a lot more fun and enjoyable than being a Justice League member.
    I know I’m outnumbered about that, but that’s how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I hate that Cyborg was shoehorned into the JLA at the expense of Martian Manhunter.
    And then, he was written as a glorified doorman.
    Even his solo title failed in writing a compelling story on him.
    I see him as a top tier supporting character - NOT a lead.
    That said, he's a favourite Titan.
    Enh, Cyborg was in an equivalent of the Justice League way back in 1985 when they did the Superfriends TV show. But in print he appeared in 1980 as a Teen Titan. Yeah, both of those are team settings with him as a secondary character.

Boisterously Confused

There are a number of reasons Cyborg wasn't the right pick for the JL in my mind, but it did make a lot of sense for other reasons beyond diversity. We live in a really tech intensive world, and DC shouldn't let Batman carry that whole load. Cyborg was that guy.

Personally, I think Mr. Terrific would have been the better answer, but that would have made writers take on Batman's Smartest Guy In The Room thing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There are a number of reasons Cyborg wasn't the right pick for the JL in my mind, but it did make a lot of sense for other reasons beyond diversity. We live in a really tech intensive world, and DC shouldn't let Batman carry that whole load. Cyborg was that guy.

Personally, I think Mr. Terrific would have been the better answer, but that would have made writers take on Batman's Smartest Guy In The Room thing.
    If Cyborg was written to his protentional he would have.

A guy that has a powerful weapon-Mother Box in him and as his 2nd series showed-unlimited access to EVERYTHING via technology. Yeah he would be on the team. So Batman could keep an eye on him as he would be too powerful to be left alone like Firestorm was in McDuffie's run.

The right villain (Luthor) was to get a hold of him and hack into him like everyone else seems to do-there would be trouble.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

A-list: Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman. Truly iconic characters whose popularity is rather constant. in order to reach this level, you have to have at least two of these things...

A. Presence that transcends comics.
    B. A massive franchise behind them.
    C. Are so engrained in the culture at large that their image has great symbolic meaning.
    D. Even some of your spin-off characters are popular characters in their own right.

B-list: Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman
    Characters that can hold their own solo book for long periods of time. They are popular but they are more prone to ebbs and flows than true A-list characters. At their most popular they can sometimes rival A-listers though. A lot of times these characters are more about the suit and the powers than the character in the suit, and replacement characters can and have had long very popular runs.

C-list: Cyborg, Raven Dr. Fate, Powergirl
    Characters that are popular in the context of a team. A lot off times their character really feeds of interactions with other Superheroes and struggles when taken out of a team dynamic. They are like that person that is the life of the party, but surprisingly boring when they are at home by themselves. Their powers are often very specialized and work best in a team. It's not a bad place to be in (Pretty much all of the Xmen are in this class except Wolverine). But can be kind of a sand trap for characters who are trying to be put over for diversities sake.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 08-05-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Don't know, if you make a team with the lead characters of DCs 6 biggest franchies (with hundreds of solo issues, their own "families" and rogues galleries) and than put in a 7th character, who's mainly been a member on various team books (and not even the main focus on those book), that character will always not really fit in.

Incredible Member

I think it's time for the Titans to be broken up. The new Teen titans run with Marv Wolfman and George Perez is my all time favorite with Cyborg Rebirth being second but I kind of feel bad for fans of Cassie, Conner and the Tim Drake era of Titans along with some of the original Titans that came before them like Garth, Lilith, Bumblebee. Cyborg, Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy are now popular enough to start from scratch. I would just revamp them as being members of the Justice League from the very beginning. Or maybe just individual heroes operating own their own. there is a whole genre in video games based on cybernetics such as Cyberpunk 2077. Cyborg can be revamped and franchise to all video games in the DC Universe. It cool be a cool section that could include all genres like Action games, platform games, shooter games, fighting games, action RPG, MMORPG, role-playing games etc.. Each issue of a Cyborg comic could be based on a popular video game. It could be cool and a great way to attract fans from the gaming community. DC and Marvel are leaving money on the table by not going after gamers. Raven, beast Boy and Starfire also have unique powers that would not be redundant if they join the Justice League. In my mind it just makes sense business wise for the Titans to merge with the Justice League finally.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    I think it's time for the Titans to be broken up. The new Teen titans run with Marv Wolfman and George Perez is my all time favorite with Cyborg Rebirth being second but I kind of feel bad for fans of Cassie, Conner and the Tim Drake era of Titans along with some of the original Titans that came before them like Garth, Lilith, Bumblebee. Cyborg, Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy are now popular enough to start from scratch. I would just revamp them as being members of the Justice League from the very beginning. Or maybe just individual heroes operating own their own. there is a whole genre in video games based on cybernetics such as Cyberpunk 2077. Cyborg can be revamped and franchise to all video games in the DC Universe. It cool be a cool section that could include all genres like Action games, platform games, shooter games, fighting games, action RPG, MMORPG, role-playing games etc.. Each issue of a Cyborg comic could be based on a popular video game. It could be cool and a great way to attract fans from the gaming community. DC and Marvel are leaving money on the table by not going after gamers. Raven, beast Boy and Starfire also have unique powers that would not be redundant if they join the Justice League. In my mind it just makes sense business wise for the Titans to merge with the Justice League finally.
    I disagree. Raven, Starfire and yes Cyborg are popular because they are Titans. There is very little evidence that they are popular outside of that framework. In fact both Cyborg and Starfire’s dalliances with independence in the new 52 have kind of been lukewarm to bad at best.

Incredible Member

I disagree. Cyborg's first solo series debuted with 50K copies order. Cyborg Rebirth # 1 one shot had 60K plus. Cyborg Rebirth # 1 ongoing debuted with 50K copies ordered. So there's a consistency there that should not be ignored. DC and some fans want Cyborg and other Black characters to be supporting characters. They want to put Cyborg back into his 'proper' place. They want Black characters to take the place of traditional white characters. DC is kind of looking like a plantation in the old South.

It's time to move on. It's time to move forward. The New Teen titans was 40 years ago.

Niffleheim

Using debut numbers to present a consistency case that Cyborg is a good seller is a weak argument to make.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-06-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Spectacular Member

DC should be trying to elevate the Titans as an adult team that can stand alongside the Justice League as well as Cyborg.

Extraordinary Member

I disagree. Cyborg's first solo series debuted with 50K copies order. Cyborg Rebirth # 1 one shot had 60K plus. Cyborg Rebirth # 1 ongoing debuted with 50K copies ordered.
    Debut numbers are often highly inflated (usually at least by a factor of two), I think DC made the first 3 issues of a new series often returnable, so that retailers don't lose money when they order to many.
    If you really want to judge what a title sells you have to look at issue 3-6.

Incredible Member

Dial H For heroes and the Wonder Twins two somewhat recent 6 issue mini-series was both renewed for an additional 6 issues after some fans online started to praise the 2 mini-series. But at issue # 6 of both Dial H and the Wonder Twins there sales was only around 12,000 copies order but they got renewed any way. And when their series ended with issue #12 the copies ordered was around only 8K. So to me that's insanity. You can't do business like that. and it's also unfair to characters like Vixen, black Lightning who sell at the same level but don't get a second shot. a significant amount of comic book fans are not online. and some people still do not have regular internet service in america. So it's not smart to make actual publishing decisions based on what some fans are saying online. And not their actual consumer base, the ones that go inside the comic book stores every wednesday. They are not catering to the majority of their consumers. They are playing favorites. If DC really want to improve their comic book sales they would put boots to the ground and actually go inside of the comic book stores and ask the people what they want.
    Last edited by abetterday; 08-06-2021 at 07:03 AM.

I disagree. Cyborg's first solo series debuted with 50K copies order. Cyborg Rebirth # 1 one shot had 60K plus. Cyborg Rebirth # 1 ongoing debuted with 50K copies ordered. So there's a consistency there that should not be ignored. DC and some fans want Cyborg and other Black characters to be supporting characters. They want to put Cyborg back into his 'proper' place. They want Black characters to take the place of traditional white characters. DC is kind of looking like a plantation in the old South.

It's time to move on. It's time to move forward. The New Teen titans was 40 years ago.
    Everything said here was correct. But fans can't see past nostalgia.