Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RealEyesRealizeRealLies77 View Post
    I do understand why there are feelings of the X-MEN being regressive and just naively going back to protecting the humans that fear & hate them again as I first felt that upon hearing the modus operandi of the team.I then had to consider that they had to put the super heroics on hold while they formed & developed their nation.Now that they've developed their nation ,created resurrection proto-calls to bring back millions of mutants, established a global trade agreement in lieu of state acknowledgement, terraformed a dead planet & populated it with millions of warrior mutants that was becoming an issue, & have sealed their position in the galactic scene as Regents of Sol system, they can turn their attention back to continuing to be heroic & protecting humans now that they don't have to worry about being exterminated every other week & can begin to thrive while cementing their standing as a proud mutant nation.That being said, if Duggan churns out 6+ issues or a reoccurring theme of just that then I'm going to get bored very quick & complaints of regression will be valid.I want to see them being proactive on the Orchis front as well & taking the business straight to that Gameworld once they discover it's them sending the monsters.I also wouldn't mind more moments with the public also.After witnessing anyone battle a behemoth like that while protecting your lives,who wouldn't come out & be welcoming & grateful.They even participated & helped kill some.That's the America I know,we may not like each other but let some aliens come invading we will kill with each other!
    With Jean having seen Gameworld and Cordy in her mind now, that beautiful ship from issue #3 is making me think they're about to take the fight straight to his crusty ass. Ending the "alien invasion of the month" situation and maybe taking some of the gambling loot with them.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    ...This was a minor thing but I appreciated how Duggan depicted the Kansans with dignity and respect. Modern comics have trained me to expect that when Middle Americans or rural folks appear on the page, they'll be speaking in hick accents and/or shouting racist stuff (in the case of an X-men comic, "mutie" or something like that). It was nice to see Duggan avoid that trope.
    Good observation.

Also, the X-Men seem to be mindful of how they can be hated and feared by humans and seem to be doing outreach to try to better their reputation. That's why Seneca Gardens is open to the public (I think Cyke was greeting a tourist in issue 1) and is also a museum of sorts that highlights mutant achievements. That's why Rogue didn't want criminals to hang out in the Treehouse. That's why the X-men stayed for the barbecue in this issue; you change hearts and minds (hopefully) a little bit at a time.
    This is all so true. I especially love your last point about changing hearts and minds a little at a time. And even if they do become more popular among humans, there will always be a swathe of them that fear, dislike, and even hate mutants, just as there is still racism today.

Let me also add that even if the X-men were just a superhero team -- which they won't be -- they'd still be way more interesting than the Avengers.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Quite frankly, I’m sort of more than okay with this. I’m ecstatic. To be clear, though, I feel Duggan is tipping his hat to the very best of the Classic X-Men iterations.
    Yeah, that's a good thing. Your write up a few pages back was great, I love the good old-fashioned superhero stuff. I was hardly optimistic this far into the current era, and it's still early-going, but so far so good.

For the Rogue and Wolverine fans who feel shorted this issue, I am sure those who were central in this issue will take a backseat to Rogue, Wolverine, and Cyclops in future issues. Maybe even the next one. I mean, look at the cover for issue #3...

Let's hope the cover to issue No 4 is taking a creative license.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    and they way she’s being written by Duggan is 100% Wolverine.
    No, it's 100% Logan. Just because she's wearing the same suit doesn't mean she has to behave or talk like him. This is the exact thing that fans were afraid of happening when they first saw her in it in the post-Secret Wars teaser image. It's why many fans hated her characterization under Hopeless when he literally had her say "Something something bub" to convey that she's Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I'm hardly an expert on Laura, but I am an introvert, and I don't quip with strangers. I agree with your general statement here, but I can't make any claims on characterization.
    Laura's sense of humor is historically dry and deadpan, and often trending somewhat dark. So absolutely a hallmark of an introvert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    No, it's 100% Logan. Just because she's wearing the same suit doesn't mean she has to behave or talk like him. This is the exact thing that fans were afraid of happening when they first saw her in it in the post-Secret Wars teaser image. It's why many fans hated her characterization under Hopeless when he literally had her say "Something something bub" to convey that she's Wolverine.
    Just because she's wearing the suit doesn't mean she can't talk and act like him either. Like I said, it's not the first time and it won't be the last time she rips off a cool one liner. It's not a problem for me but I'm also not going to sit here and tell you how to enjoy your comics. Let me ask you this so maybe I can see your perspective better. Considering all her panel time in issue #2 tell me how you would have written that scene, or like to see it written differently. What I'm curious about is changes in dialogue, or complete deletion of dialogue, do you think she would've disobeyed Cyclops/Jeans orders? What do you think Laura should've done differently so to speak.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Loved the dialogue between Synch and Jean. Both giving moderate respect towards each other. At the same time it is kind of weird even though its earned. For some reason I am still taken aback that Synch is even talking to Jean more or less on the same team. He is supposed to be a C-lister. Thank you new Marvel for recently taking chances on characters that would otherwise be in Limbo!

The Red Dragon

I feel like Larraz’s art does most of the heavy lifting. Hopefully they break the alien of the week theme(2 issues and it feels kinda of inconsequential) and have villains that are more personal or have more character than mindless creatures and swarms.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I feel like Larraz’s art does most of the heavy lifting. Hopefully they break the alien of the week theme(2 issues and it feels kinda of inconsequential) and have villains that are more personal or have more character than mindless creatures and swarms.
    Well next issue will have the High Evolutinary so I think Duggan has got this lol

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    Loved the dialogue between Synch and Jean. Both giving moderate respect towards each other. At the same time it is kind of weird even though its earned. For some reason I am still taken aback that Synch is even talking to Jean more or less on the same team. He is supposed to be a C-lister. Thank you new Marvel for recently taking chances on characters that would otherwise be in Limbo!
    Hmmm, that's just an odd statement to make. In what way is Everett not "worthy" enough to speak to Jean. Going by your suggestion different mutants would never be able to be used and established in a meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Hmmm, that's just an odd statement to make. In what way is Everett not "worthy" enough to speak to Jean. Going by your suggestion different mutants would never be able to be used and established in a meaningful way.
    I don't think that's what they meant, I think they meant that it was pleasantly surprising to see a traditionally minor character on a flagship team.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I don't think that's what they meant, I think they meant that it was pleasantly surprising to see a traditionally minor character on a flagship team.
    I hope it is, I feel a good thing is happening with the team.

For the Rogue and Wolverine fans who feel shorted this issue, I am sure those who were central in this issue will take a backseat to Rogue, Wolverine, and Cyclops in future issues. Maybe even the next one. I mean, look at the cover for issue #3...

I hope that the next issue will refer to the previous altercations between Rogue and the High Evolutionary (see Uncanny Avengers vol 2)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I hope that the next issue will refer to the previous altercations between Rogue and the High Evolutionary (see Uncanny Avengers vol 2)
    Didn't Duggan write that? Considering they just named drop the Unity Squad which to be honest hasn't been mentioned in an X-book for years in this last issue I'm sure we'll get a call back to when Rogue last fought the HE.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Didn't Duggan write that? Considering they just named drop the Unity Squad which to be honest hasn't been mentioned in an X-book for years in this last issue I'm sure we'll get a call back to when Rogue last fought the HE.
    It was Remender
    Duggan wrote the first twenty-three issues of the third volume
    Last edited by rhaenylis; 08-06-2021 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    It was Remender
    Duggan wrote the first twenty-three issues of the third volume
    I preferred the Duggan UA run to the Remender one. The issue where Cable beats Steve Rogers’ ass until Rogue steps in and stops him was a personal fave.