Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I can make a case for it being a good thing, as she moves forward from her traumatic origins towards a more optimistic future. And thus is stepping into the role of being “the Wolverine” in the sense of embracing being a superhero. Thus she’s having some fun for a change.

Doubt you’ll see it the same way but, like I said, I can make a case for that. *shrugs*
    Your jib is expertly cut and well made.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

There is a warm, simple, and familiar quality to this series that both harkens back to the classic standard comic book fare of yore and presents readers with something surprisingly fresh, especially in what casual readers might consider the overly cerebral and dizzyingly convoluted Jonathan Hickman era. Hickman is undeniably brilliant, and his work has been both refreshing and paradigm-shifting, to say the least, but fans sometimes just want to read an old-fashioned X-Men comic book, you know? As the saying goes, everything old is new again.

Gerry Duggan and Pepe Larraz have done a stellar job at bringing to life this new team of mutants, which is composed of characters whose origins and debuts poignantly span nearly every decade of the X-Men's history, from the 1960s (Jean Grey, Cyclops, Polaris), 70s (Sunfire), 80s (Rogue), and 90s (Synch), to the first decade of the current millennium (Laura Kinney, aka Wolverine). Duggan's writing is conservative and uncluttered yet strikingly effective, while Larraz's fluid and vibrant linework, which is emphasized by Marte Gracia's lush strokes of color, shadow, and light, teems with energy and emotion. Both writer and artist seem entirely in sync here and fully committed to underscoring that this is a superhero team, which they accomplish with aplomb while also displaying their fundamental understanding of its individual members.

While the first and only two entries in this latest reboot of X-Men have focused on boundless, explosive action and a triptych of both intriguing and mysterious villains - Cordyceps Jones, Orchis' Doctor Stasis, and newbie Kelvin Heng - these issues have not lacked moments of depth and insight into the central players, their quirks, depths, and strengths. Cyclops and Jean Grey, both X-Men founding members and co-leaders of this new team and, undeniably, the combined heart and soul of the X-Men as a whole, have been given ample room to shine. Duggan expertly renders Cyclops as an assertive yet generous leader and tactician who takes charge but is also willing to allow his teammates to use their initiative and offer tactical suggestions of their own, as he does a few times with Synch throughout both issues. Of course, his characteristic understated wit, charm, and stoicism are also on full display. (More about Jean later.)

As for the female team members, it feels good seeing Rogue headlining an X-Men book again. She is depicted in all of her tough, spunky, powerful, and effervescent glory and is even given a charmingly matronly moment with her husband Gambit or, as she angrily refers to him, "Remy Étienne LeBeau!" Likewise, Polaris makes a more than welcome return as a central character in an X-book, displaying a formidable strength and sly, comical irreverence and nonchalance that instantly make her a fun and captivating team member. Finally, much like her namesake at the start of his comic book career, Laura Kinney, this team's Wolverine, appears as a ruthless-in-battle mystery who is mostly quiet, vague, and brooding, though outward appearances can be deceptive and still waters often run deep. I suspect Duggan is teasing out her development, which he has hinted at in the second issue.

The male teammates are equally alluring, with Synch's versatility, power potential, richness of character, and weary soulfulness spotlighted in both issues and promising to make him a favorite and essential member of the team. Sunfire, whose fiery brilliance is tempered by his, at times, regal bearing, has two standout moments in the second issue as well - one heartfelt and touching, the other quite literally explosive - which indicate that he will be both a fascinating character and dangerous challenger to any foe.

Jean Grey, who has been somewhat of an enigma during Hickman's era, is so far the standout and quiet center of this series, pulsing soothingly and reassuringly like an essential heartbeat. She is plugged in, sometimes literally, to everyone, offering direction, coordination, and emotional support. Her team-up with Polaris and poignant moments with Synch and Sunfire in issue two are the best character-centric moments to date of this still-young series. This is befitting of her as the first female X-Man and co-leader and co-founder of this new team, especially considering that Hickman wrote her as being the first to not only step down from her position on the Quiet Council but to decline the offer to rejoin, disclose the formation of the new team, and publicly announce its elected members.

In Duggan's hands, Jean is graceful and at ease, offering comfort and sage wisdom that is characteristic and revealing of all that she has seen, survived, and transcended in her nearly sixty-year history. From the issues of Cable in which she appeared to Planet Size X-Men #1 and the two entries of this series released thus far, Duggan has written Jean as a confident yet understated expert leader and field operator with glimmers of wit and mischievousness. Under his pen, she's steadfast, assertive, formidably powerful, and assured, but also warm, empathic, measured, and mature. During an exchange between Jean and Synch in issue two, he confesses to her, "Your power is immeasurable, Jean." So true, as is her importance in the X-Men mythos and to this series so far.

As X-Force writer Benjamin Percy recently wrote of her: "And there are those who are as versatile as a cello, able to play melody or harmony, to swing between the brightest and darkest notes." Duggan seems to get this and makes Jean Grey shine.

I have enjoyed the hell out of Hickman's era, but so far, this series has filled me with giddiness and a longing to get lost indefinitely within its pages that I haven't felt about a current comic book in some time. My only gripe is that the issues don't extend to fifty or 100 pages, which, I am sure, is what every comic book fan feels about their favorite comic books. Nevertheless, I am on this ride for the long haul.
    Last edited by Mercury; 08-05-2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Replaced "Hickman" with "Duggan" in a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    After many readings:

10/10 and 100 stars...I actually enjoyed this second issue more than the first.

I saw a YT vid where the guy was saying that this book seems like a regression in comparison to the other titles dealing with Krakoa and Planet Arakki etc. that have greater, far reaching consequences. Enh! I think "throwback" is a better descriptive...and I actually LOVE that it feels and reads like a classic UXM book. So far, the Krakoa Era has been awesome and the mutants have been doling out their own brand of heroics specific to their new situations but with this issue I realised I've truly missed my mutants just being "regular" heroes.
    All of this.

What a beautiful write up, Mercury!

BANNED

I can make a case for it being a good thing, as she moves forward from her traumatic origins towards a more optimistic future. And thus is stepping into the role of being “the Wolverine” in the sense of embracing being a superhero. Thus she’s having some fun for a change.

Doubt you’ll see it the same way but, like I said, I can make a case for that. *shrugs*
    That just gives weight to the fallacy of "Healthy = Quippy Extrovert." Why can't she be a healing and healthy introvert with her own damn personality?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That just gives weight to the fallacy of "Healthy = Quippy Extrovert." Why can't she be a healing and healthy introvert with her own damn personality?
    She can. But Gerry is choosing something different obviously re: how her newfound happiness is manifesting itself. I mean, assuming her personality shift is even intentional on his part.

You have to admit, though, in so far as explanations go mine’s a pretty decent one. In the old days I’d have gotten a “no prize” for it.

Your jib is expertly cut and well made.
    Why thank you, sir.

And, because I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t say it (and I am always true to myself), we definitely need to see OG Cable in this comic interacting with his parents. Too many newbies have forgotten that they have a relationship and believe it to be something new that just started with Kid Cable. Duggan needs to correct this by showing them interacting IMO.

After many readings:

10/10 and 100 stars...I actually enjoyed this second issue more than the first.

I saw a YT vid where the guy was saying that this book seems like a regression in comparison to the other titles dealing with Krakoa and Planet Arakki etc. that have greater, far reaching consequences. Enh! I think "throwback" is a better descriptive...and I actually LOVE that it feels and reads like a classic UXM book. So far, the Krakoa Era has been awesome and the mutants have been doling out their own brand of heroics specific to their new situations but with this issue I realised I've truly missed my mutants just being "regular" heroes.
    This is exactly how I feel. I love the Hickman era but I also love a straightforward superhero book. I'm overjoyed with this book.

Beautifully written review, Mercury.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    What a beautiful write up, Mercury!
    You are too kind, Fokken. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Beautifully written review, Mercury.

I am humbled. Thank you, Jbenito.

Why thank you, sir.

And, because I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t say it (and I am always true to myself), we definitely need to see OG Cable in this comic interacting with his parents. Too many newbies have forgotten that they have a relationship and believe it to be something new that just started with Kid Cable. Duggan needs to correct this by showing them interacting IMO.
    Has it ever been addressed, on panel, WITH Nathan, the circumstances of his actual birth mother?
    Like, I recognize that Scott is his biological father and Jean is like his foster mother but has there been any OG Cable moments where he's been informed and/or discussed Madelyne?

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    There is a warm, simple, and familiar quality to this series that both harkens back to the classic standard comic book fare of yore and presents readers with something surprisingly fresh, especially in what casual readers might consider the overly cerebral and dizzyingly convoluted Jonathan Hickman era. Hickman is undeniably brilliant, and his work has been both refreshing and paradigm-shifting, to say the least, but fans sometimes just want to read an old-fashioned X-Men comic book, you know? As the saying goes, everything old is new again.

Gerry Duggan and Pepe Larraz have done a stellar job at bringing to life this new team of mutants, which is composed of characters whose origins and debuts poignantly span nearly every decade of the X-Men's history, from the 1960s (Jean Grey, Cyclops, Polaris), 70s (Sunfire), 80s (Rogue), and 90s (Synch), to the first decade of the current millennium (Laura Kinney, aka Wolverine). Duggan's writing is conservative and uncluttered yet strikingly effective, while Larraz's fluid and vibrant linework, which is emphasized by Marte Gracia's lush strokes of color, shadow, and light, teems with energy and emotion. Both writer and artist seem entirely in sync here and fully committed to underscoring that this is a superhero team, which they accomplish with aplomb while also displaying their fundamental understanding of its individual members.

While the first and only two entries in this latest reboot of X-Men have focused on boundless, explosive action and a triptych of both intriguing and mysterious villains - Cordyceps Jones, Orchis' Doctor Stasis, and newbie Kelvin Heng - these issues have not lacked moments of depth and insight into the central players, their quirks, depths, and strengths. Cyclops and Jean Grey, both X-Men founding members and co-leaders of this new team and, undeniably, the combined heart and soul of the X-Men as a whole, have been given ample room to shine. Duggan expertly renders Cyclops as an assertive yet generous leader and tactician who takes charge but is also willing to allow his teammates to use their initiative and offer tactical suggestions of their own, as he does a few times with Synch throughout both issues. Of course, his characteristic understated wit, charm, and stoicism are also on full display. (More about Jean later.)

As for the female team members, it feels good seeing Rogue headlining an X-Men book again. She is depicted in all of her tough, spunky, powerful, and effervescent glory and is even given a charmingly matronly moment with her husband Gambit or, as she angrily refers to him, "Remy Étienne LeBeau!" Likewise, Polaris makes a more than welcome return as a central character in an X-book, displaying a formidable strength and sly, comical irreverence and nonchalance that instantly make her a fun and captivating team member. Finally, much like her namesake at the start of his comic book career, Laura Kinney, this team's Wolverine, appears as a ruthless-in-battle mystery who is mostly quiet, vague, and brooding, though outward appearances can be deceptive and still waters often run deep. I suspect Duggan is teasing out her development, which he has hinted at in the second issue.

The male teammates are equally alluring, with Synch's versatility, power potential, richness of character, and weary soulfulness spotlighted in both issues and promising to make him a favorite and essential member of the team. Sunfire, whose fiery brilliance is tempered by his, at times, regal bearing, has two standout moments in the second issue as well - one heartfelt and touching, the other quite literally explosive - which indicate that he will be both a fascinating character and dangerous challenger to any foe.

Jean Grey, who has been somewhat of an enigma during Hickman's era, is so far the standout and quiet center of this series, pulsing soothingly and reassuringly like an essential heartbeat. She is plugged in, sometimes literally, to everyone, offering direction, coordination, and emotional support. Her team-up with Polaris and poignant moments with Synch and Sunfire in issue two are the best character-centric moments to date of this still-young series. This is befitting of her as the first female X-Man and co-leader and co-founder of this new team, especially considering that Hickman wrote her as being the first to not only step down from her position on the Quiet Council but to decline the offer to rejoin, disclose the formation of the new team, and publicly announce its elected members.

In Duggan's hands, Jean is graceful and at ease, offering comfort and sage wisdom that is characteristic and revealing of all that she has seen, survived, and transcended in her nearly sixty-year history. From the issues of Cable in which she appeared to Planet Size X-Men #1 and the two entries of this series released thus far, Duggan has written Jean as a confident yet understated expert leader and field operator with glimmers of wit and mischievousness. Under his pen, she's steadfast, assertive, formidably powerful, and assured, but also warm, empathic, measured, and mature. During an exchange between Jean and Synch in issue two, he confesses to her, "Your power is immeasurable, Jean." So true, as is her importance in the X-Men mythos and to this series so far.

As X-Force writer Benjamin Percy recently wrote of her: "And there are those who are as versatile as a cello, able to play melody or harmony, to swing between the brightest and darkest notes." Duggan seems to get this and makes Jean Grey shine.

I have enjoyed the hell out of Hickman's era, but so far, this series has filled me with giddiness and a longing to get lost indefinitely within its pages that I haven't felt about a current comic book in some time. My only gripe is that the issues don't extend to fifty or 100 pages, which, I am sure, is what every comic book fan feels about their favorite comic books. Nevertheless, I am on this ride for the long haul.
    All of this, expertly and beautiful stated

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Has it ever been addressed, on panel, WITH Nathan, the circumstances of his actual birth mother?
    Like, I recognize that Scott is his biological father and Jean is like his foster mother but has there been any OG Cable moments where he's been informed and/or discussed Madelyne?
    I think there was a story in the 90's in Cable's series where he confronted Maddie on the astral plane but it was so long ago that the details escape me

BANNED

She can. But Gerry is choosing something different obviously re: how her newfound happiness is manifesting itself. I mean, assuming her personality shift is even intentional on his part.

You have to admit, though, in so far as explanations go mine’s a pretty decent one. In the old days I’d have gotten a “no prize” for it.
    It's almost certainly not intentional. At least in regard to implying this is part of her "newfound happiness." He's simply cramming a square character into a round hole. It's incredibly problematic that the default state of mental and emotional health in comics is considered to be that everyone must be an outgoing social butterfly, and if you're not it's a sign of something wrong with you, whether it's because the character is depressed, suffering some other sort of mental or emotional trauma or illness, etc.

People always make a deal about representation with regards to characters like Karma and Forge. It's one of the biggest arguments for keeping them with artificial limbs in spite of it making no logical sense when you have multiple characters who can restore them, (to say nothing of the lack of logic with the resurrection protocols) and suggesting otherwise is shit on as being "ablist." So why the hell shouldn't people want to see a healthy introvert? Where's that representation?

INTROVERTS OF THE WORLD UNITE...As far away from me as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It's almost certainly not intentional. At least in regard to implying this is part of her "newfound happiness." He's simply cramming a square character into a round hole. It's incredibly problematic that the default state of mental and emotional health in comics is considered to be that everyone must be an outgoing social butterfly, and if you're not it's a sign of something wrong with you, whether it's because the character is depressed, suffering some other sort of mental or emotional trauma or illness, etc.

People always make a deal about representation with regards to characters like Karma and Forge. It's one of the biggest arguments for keeping them with artificial limbs in spite of it making no logical sense when you have multiple characters who can restore them, (to say nothing of the lack of logic with the resurrection protocols) and suggesting otherwise is shit on as being "ablist." So why the hell shouldn't people want to see a healthy introvert? Where's that representation?

INTROVERTS OF THE WORLD UNITE...As far away from me as possible.

Where is it written that introverts can't quip? This feels like a lot of projection onto a fictional character.