Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Rogue and Gambit's opening of the issue was one of my favorite moments for her in a while. In two panels she displayed how important this new era is to her and how seriously she's taking her role.

Plus her combo with Scott, her idea, was dope. She called it and he followed through without hesitation.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Duggan’s run continued to hit its target telling a high quality story with X-Men #2.

The cast has been so far evenly handled. Some still need more development and the book needs time to breath and I expect both things to happen soon so it isn’t a real issue. I expect everyone on the same page early on with the theme of serving all, but I also think the story would benefit in time from more then one prospective.

In terms of Lorna his urban mutant princess theme continued to be a winner. It is proving a solid way of including Lorna on team protagonist titles allowing her flexibility and a better adaption of her 60s mutant royalty theme then we have seen in awhile though one I worry future runs may find difficult to adapt.

This was the first time since Austen’s run a writer put in a real effort to have Lorna and Jean interact and the MRI power feat was a cool one. Also, rarely do we see Lorna put up shields in the modern era as runs typically prefer to show Lorna as simply a metal bender with the occasional power blast so it was nice to see Lorna showing even some power versatility for the first time in over a decade.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-04-2021 at 07:08 PM.

I get what people are saying about the sunfire scene feeling out of place when they read it but i didn't feel that way when i did. For me i felt it made sense. It felt like he felt these people who would not welcome him because of who he was in the past were only welcoming him because he saved them in that moment and that wasn't shiro, and he wanted them to understand why he was going to decline because he needed no thanks but Jean reminded him like him saving them, them wanting to feed them wasn't about themselves but rather what they could do for someone else. It hit me in the feels. Felt very old school naruto.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Lorna's shield is beautiful. Imagine seeing it from your window.

This panel pleases me to no end. What are they discussing? They're fully engaged and Scott is helping as Scott would. I love my comics like this and I look forward to more of this.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I get what people are saying about the sunfire scene feeling out of place when they read it but i didn't feel that way when i did. For me i felt it made sense. It felt like he felt these people who would not welcome him because of who he was in the past were only welcoming him because he saved them in that moment and that wasn't shiro, and he wanted them to understand why he was going to decline because he needed no thanks but Jean reminded him like him saving them, them wanting to feed them wasn't about themselves but rather what they could do for someone else. It hit me in the feels. Felt very old school naruto.
    Yeah, it's not terrible, it just seemed like a quick overload. I understood the message, but it seemed a little disconnected from the rest of the story - I would rather have saved it for the next issue, give Sunfire the spotlight and let this be the Jean/Polaris issue.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

This issue was so fun. I love all the little moments in this issue as well as the big action. I loved Jean and Lorna here. And Jean and Synch. And Sunfire. Duggan does well with the characters voices and I love the creative uses of the mutant powers. I do think the monster of the week could get old but I do love the set up with the various villains and the Orchis data page was great. I love seeing the X-men be heroic and doing big things.

Polaris has such a great personality here and it is awesome to witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Lorna's shield is beautiful. Imagine seeing it from your window.

This panel pleases me to no end. What are they discussing? They're fully engaged and Scott is helping as Scott would. I love my comics like this and I look forward to more of this.

I want to go on record that whatever issues I may have now or in the future, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. In fact, I'd rather encourage it, and your comment here is appreciated. Little things like this are good,
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    This issue was so fun. I love all the little moments in this issue as well as the big action. I loved Jean and Lorna here. And Jean and Synch. And Sunfire. Duggan does well with the characters voices and I love the creative uses of the mutant powers. I do think the monster of the week could get old but I do love the set up with the various villains and the Orchis data page was great. I love seeing the X-men be heroic and doing big things.

Polaris has such a great personality here and it is awesome to witness.
    I'd like to see a mix of episodic and serial - one-off adventures to flesh out characters, interspersed between the big issues that tie-in to the larger plot. I like the teases dropped for upcoming threats.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Orchis is really making a big deal out of Cyclops being alive in NY. Why is this resurrection spurring up suspicion when the X-men have been publicly back from the dead for years?

I feel like Wolverine is very out of place, Duggan needs to give her more color on this team, I love her, she is one of my favorite xwomans, but in my opinion she looks more like Logan than Laura. I'm getting frustrated with, I've been waiting until now to find out what she's going to do about Gabby's death.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

This was the X book I wanted when Hickman took over. This was excellent for me. It reminded me a lot of how the X-Men felt in the 80's with Chris Claremont...little life moments (Gambit having buds over for poker, the cook out with the locals) mixed with high stakes super-hero action with lots of personality all over. The little things help make the big things feel big.
    I love everything EXCEPT Jeans costume. She desperately needs a new suit. I had hoped she (along with Rogue) would have gotten updated looks. Rogue should turn her Gala attire into her regular suit and Jean just needs something else! I still haven't gotten a good look at Sunfire's new suit, anyone have a good image of it?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Orchis is really making a big deal out of Cyclops being alive in NY. Why is this resurrection spurring up suspicion when the X-men have been publicly back from the dead for years?
    There have been many cases of heroes back from the dead, but often it were cases the hero was revealed to never have died, no one saw them die, it was a clone, etc. Or the public doesn't know what happened. There, they have full confirmation and the body.

Great issue! I was reading it and getting worried that Sunfire had barely spoken... and then BAM! He gets a moment of characterization all to himself! And one that finally peels away at his "*******" archetype!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Maybe because one of them personally shot his head off with a shotgun at point blank range in front of Karima and yet he is still alive when they have his corpse on a slab and that is not sitting well with them.

Think about it, what is the point of making plans to kill of the mutant species if they found a way to circumvent death.

Frankly i think it was good that it is being touched upon by some of the villains to make their threat level even more credible.

I would think that either this Doctor Stasis or perhaps even Mystique reveal the five's existence and suddenly NIMROD has a clear and present target.

Suddenly we get a race to protect their most valuable resource against the ultimate Sentinel.

Well, i liked them being heroes, the creative use of powers, Rogue sharing something about the time she was an Avenger but some things are still not jelling for me.

Did not much care for the jab Lorna gave to what Steve does to keep them sharp, and that's mostly because of the current state the book is in right now...the recent **** going on with She-Hulk just makes me wish it would end already.

Laura didn't get much time to shine and i just don't like that she is acting like Logan instead of how she is when not using the Wolverine name, for me at least, her being Wolverine is more of a detriment.

Not feeling the whole Synch pining for Laura deal, they just didn't make me care for it when it first came up during the Vault mission and it feels even more off to me now where he has all this knowledge about her and is waiting for her to make this move so he can reveal all of this to her and then what exactly? What would be the pay off here?

One other thing confused me...is Rhino good now? I mean why would they invite him to a poker game?