Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-MEN #2 Reviews/Spoilers Thread

Wow. I loved this issue. Everything clicked and felt effortless. The Jean moments with Synch and Polaris were sublime. The special focus on Sunfire was also fantastic. I'm just taking it all in, so I'll write more later. Honestly, though, I think this issue was better than the first.

Last edited by Mercury; 08-04-2021 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Added picture.

(It's after 9AM eastern so I think it's safe now)

Outstanding. This book excites me so much.

I already love the dynamic between Jean and Ev and how he will of course be respectful of Laura’s wishes. Scott asking for his opinion in the field and the acknowledgment of his time in the Vault, *chef’s kiss*

Duggan does a great job with teamwork and that’s what I want for my X-Men.

Lorna is hilarious and her and Jean’s combined powers creating that MRI moment was genius.

Sunfire got to shine and I love his change of heart, wanting to be of noble service. Gorgeous panel of him just before he went flamethrower.

My absolute favorite part was watching the humans fight with our mutants. It was a beautiful moment and the barbecue page touched me.

Such joy I feel seeing this and I know many fans live for these moments.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

This was a solid and very enjoyable issue.

The character moments were fun and if anything too brief for me - I always want more of them! We got the funny Gambit and Rogue exchange from the preview, Jean and Synch having a very meaningful exchange, and some funny anecdotes from the Rogue and Polaris exchange referencing back to Rogue's Uncanny Avengers time and just how boring the Avengers are. LOL We got a glimpse into why Sunfire wanted to be on the team.

I also just really loved seeing these human and mutant interactions that were bridge building rather than antagonistic. Got a Gerry Duggan look alike too for good measure!

Now mostly it's very much an action comic and I don't dislike that generally, especially considering how much standing around some of these characters had been getting over the last year. And Larraz makes all the action amazing and grandiose of course.

But I'm still starving for more character moments and I feel like those will be doled out very slowly between mostly a lot more action packed sequences going forward if going off the Uncanny Avengers run. We do keep seeing the emphasis on teamwork and combining powers, so that is staying with the Krakoa mission statement.

I'm certain we'll keep getting more insight on each character as the storyline progresses and it's probably what I really care about more than any particular villain plot or fight scene if I'm being honest. Show me their rooms! Give me more interpersonal drama! LOL More soap in this opera please. But so far it's enough to keep me on board.

That Dr. Stasis is one cold and grim character! Brrrr.

Lorna's Avengers dig had me actually laughing while I was waiting to get my haircut this morn. LOL!

Dr. Stasis is an absolute sicko.

Comic Watch gives this issue a rave, awarding it a score of 9.6/10:

https://comic-watch.com/comic-book-r...y-annihilation

Comic Book Dispatch is more tempered with their enthusiasm, giving the book a score of 8.4/10, though they do assert, "I recommend hopping on board now while you still can. X-MEN has all the inner workings of what will make this a rock-solid series for the next year, if not longer."

https://comicbookdispatch.com/x-men-2-review-2/

In other news, X-Men made Entertainment Weekly's "Best New Books" list, published yesterday:

https://ew.com/books/the-best-comics-of-july-2021/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    (It's after 9AM eastern so I think it's safe now)

Outstanding. This book excites me so much.

I already love the dynamic between Jean and Ev and how he will of course be respectful of Laura’s wishes. Scott asking for his opinion in the field and the acknowledgment of his time in the Vault, *chef’s kiss*

Duggan does a great job with teamwork and that’s what I want for my X-Men.

Lorna is hilarious and her and Jean’s combined powers creating that MRI moment was genius.

Sunfire got to shine and I love his change of heart, wanting to be of noble service. Gorgeous panel of him just before he went flamethrower.

My absolute favorite part was watching the humans fight with our mutants. It was a beautiful moment and the barbecue page touched me.

Such joy I feel seeing this and I know many fans live for these moments.
    That's why we're siblings, Sibling.
    This was beyond all that is exquisite and beauty-full! LOVELOVELOVE!

Edit: the Krakoa Villains thread is due for an update.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-04-2021 at 06:42 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That's why we're siblings, Sibling.
    This was beyond all that is exquisite and beauty-full! LOVELOVELOVE!

Edit: the Krakoa Villains thread is due for an update.
    Agreed, Sibling. Absolutely loved it.
    I'm happy to hear it's getting good reviews, Mercury. It's an exciting time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Lorna's Avengers dig had me actually laughing while I was waiting to get my haircut this morn. LOL!

Dr. Stasis is an absolute sicko.
    I was cackling at lorna' "hairer than beast." Lol will give more of my thoughts later but 11/10 from me on this one. beautiful artwork, great dialogue, and humans covering cyclops and inviting them to the cookout. Jean's "they want serve too." It's been such a long time since reading x-books just felt this relaxing and fun. So far Hellions is my book of the weak though. That book is just hilariously written. I would love to see a hulu show based on this Hellions run.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Here's my review:

The issue starts with Gambit having an impromptu game with some mischievous characters like Black Cat and Rhino. The Thing is also there. However, Rogue breaks up the game as the X-Men can’t be seen canoodling with known criminals now that they are loved by the public.

In Gameworld, new villain Cordyceps Jones is looking for another wager against Earth. Since they’re all failing at destroying Earth, the bet’s getting bigger. A new challenger named Kri Yu of the Numari steps forward with the “waves of annihilation”.

We then see of the Numari soldiers who just landed in Kansas. Humans see the crash and when they arrive to help, the soldier is out in the open drinking a red vase filled with liquid and proceeds to turn into some demon/bug monster wave.

EV and Jean are meditating in the air and talking about the responsibility of their powers. EV says he has lots to learn from Jean, and she reminds him, the team has a lot to learn from him due to his time in the vault.

When they hear about the threat in Kansas, the team heads off, while EV wishes he could share his time in the vault with Laura but can’t unless she seeks him out first.

Poalris and Jean team up to take down some of the bug monsters by trapping and squashing them. Rogue lifts a giant log, and with Scott’s blast breaking it up into spears, they take down a bunch of the bugs. Cyclops then gets Sunfire and Polaris to form a shield and protect the town. Jean then gets the idea to talk to one of the bug monsters with Polaris joining her and Sync uses Polaris’s power to protect the city with a shield. Sync can’t get to close though as he might need to help Sunfire as well. Rogue and Laura fight side by side while Rogue recalls her time with the Avengers.

Jean has gone into the bug monster wave with Polaris in the shield, and Jean is trying to see if she can connect with some of the human minds the wave has consumed to try and get hints and how to stop the monster. Polaris is creeped out being inside this monster/wave/bug guts.

Sunfire is struggling to keep the wave from breaking the shield and into the city, while some humans join in trying to help. Finally, Jean and Polaris use their powers to create an MRI and access a dead mind. Sunfire finally really lets go and torches the wave outside the city/shield with the power of a star.

The town cheers the X-Men on, specially Sunfire, who gets a splash page explaining his journey and how it has led him to being a man of service. The town cooks a barbecue to celebrate the team.

Meanwhile, a Dr. Stasis is hanging out with an old fashioned family, right before they all die from being poisoned. Bornan (a tiger looking character) comes in to clean up the dead bodies, as Dr. Stasis says he loves autopsies. Dr. Stasis is working for ORCHIS and has a report on the death of Cyclops on their ship. How they’ve determined it wasn’t a clone, so how is he still alive? Time travel? They want the truth exposed!
    Last edited by RamaBird; 08-04-2021 at 07:03 AM.

This issue was excellent. And I’m definitely getting High Evolutionary vibes from Dr. Stasis… only creepier.

Diamond’s shipment has been delayed to Philly so there are no Marvel books in Philly comic book shops. I am so fucking mad right now!
    Mutant and Proud!

Loved it! This book seems relevant and consequential even though it's creating new plots outside of the main ones that Hickman has been tackling. We got a ton of great character moments, and the only character that I feel is lacking atm is Laura, but once we explore why she wanted to join the team I'm sure that'll change.

The only part of the issue that struck me as awful and far-fetched was when they praised Kansas City BBQ. Being from Memphis, it’s not even close! Memphis BBQ > KC BBQ. Fact!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Diamond’s shipment has been delayed to Philly so there are no Marvel books in Philly comic book shops. I am so fucking mad right now!
    Oh no! If it seems like it's going to be a long delay maybe pick it up on comiXology to tide you over.