Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    Man, I love... LOVEEEEE Lorna's whole outfit and vibe, like I can't get enough of it.

Which takes me to point B, I don't know why Marvel is so in love with Jean's Marvel Girl costume, Krakoans running around looking fabulous like Polaris and Emma and poor Jean is stuck re-using her old costumes for some reason...
    I'd still rather see Lorna wearing her iconic costume or some variant of it (ideally a modernized take, e.g. Kris Anka's concept). But my feelings regarding costumes are heavily outweighed by the many plusses of Lorna on this book to date, and this particular costume fits well as a time capsule for the current setting. I could see it being utilized in visual callbacks and setting reminders for this period in the future, e.g. if someone were to delve into her mind then Lorna wearing this costume would be easy shorthand for "Oh, it happened on Krakoa."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

4/5 I really liked this one. Honestly, I think what I appreciate most is that some of my concerns are being addressed, like how SWORD wasn't dealing with these threats (although an explanation for this was expected), or how Krakoa has left themselves open to the possibility of an attack by having their enemies paint them as a cult. Now, on the latter point, I might agree that there's something to that argument, but I'm glad it's even being addressed in the main book. The teamwork was great, they all looked great in action, and thanks to Jean and Polaris, they now know about Gameworld.

If I had any issues with this one, it was my usual problems with telepathy illustrated by Everett and Jean; Jean's face looked odd in one panel, enough that it stopped me; the sudden focus on Sunfire seemed like it could've been worked a little better; I thought the Jean/Polaris team-up was cool but I don't understand why Jean would need the addition of Polaris' magnetism powers to retrieve memories. These are all small potatoes though, still enjoyed the book overall.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I thought the Jean/Polaris team-up was cool but I don't understand why Jean would need the addition of Polaris' magnetism powers to retrieve memories.
    I think the operative word in those panels was memories from a dead mind, as opposed to a living one, in the same sense of Xavier not sensing a mutant with Cerebro if the mutant is dead. Though I don't know Jean's capabilities or all previously established conventions of psychic powers, so maybe I'm missing something.

I've thought for quite a while that Lorna using her powers in a pseudo-psychic manner had a lot of possibilities, given modern research on the brain and electromagnetic waves. I thought this was a good way of tapping into that potential without taking away from Jean.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Don't really know what Rogue is doing in this book, to be honest. Surprisingly she feels about as underused as in Excalibur if not more. Hopefully the next few issues change my mind. The addition of Synch also seems to reduce her to a boring brick instead of the interesting power absorber we see in a book like Legacy.

I'm supposed to be working but keep reading through threads. I'm nuts. Anywho, here goes.

I thought the Jean/Polaris team-up was cool but I don't understand why Jean would need the addition of Polaris' magnetism powers to retrieve memories. These are all small potatoes though, still enjoyed the book overall.
    Omega_DCD brought up that Jean has been able to read the minds of dead people and animals, most recently in X-Force #4, but also in X-Men: Unlimited #44, so maybe that's what was bothering you, though you may not have pinpointed it. It bothered me too, but Duggan's writing was so spectacular for her this issue, I'm willing to overlook it, especially because she got to work one-on-one with Lorna:

I really wish we'd gotten this series when the relaunch started. It would have made everything more....pleasant? I think? Because having it now makes me doubt their motives and get all cynical about everything. Its like, "Everyone loves us now! (because they don't know about Terra Verde/the murders/the war crimes at the Gala/Brands' ****)". That's really just me though and not a knock on the series.

It was pretty standard superhero fare, which makes it stand out in the current line-up. It runs into the usual problems for team books, where not everyone feels important or really has much to do. That being said, its a very well done team book so far, and it being only issue 2 means there's plenty of time to balance out the cast. If it gets to issue 20 and Rogue still feels superfluous or Sunfire does nothing else, THEN it will be a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Don't really know what Rogue is doing in this book, to be honest. Surprisingly she feels about as underused as in Excalibur if not more. Hopefully the next few issues change my mind. The addition of Synch also seems to reduce her to a boring brick instead of the interesting power absorber we see in a book like Legacy.

I liked the issue ( 7/10) , some of them shone, Rogue wasn't bad but it was used in a very generic way, and Laura just still looks like she's a robot.

Nor do I think at the moment it has been so much, but if it is true Rogue is being underused. In the first issue she did better in just two panels of it she showed all of her ionic powers, super strength, invulnerability, the power to fly and super speed, plus she saved Polaris's life.

That Anna does not use her powers of absorption does not surprise me, with Duggan the truth is that she never used these powers. X_x

Ironically now that she is back in control she should be doing what she did in XMLegacy as she can take powers without limit of distance or storage capacity, and she maintains them for hours or more, and in krakoa she has a buffet of useful powers.

But hey, I Nou in my mind that this year Rogue won't use her mutant powers while the rest of the team does.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I think the operative word in those panels was memories from a dead mind, as opposed to a living one, in the same sense of Xavier not sensing a mutant with Cerebro if the mutant is dead. Though I don't know Jean's capabilities or all previously established conventions of psychic powers, so maybe I'm missing something.

I've thought for quite a while that Lorna using her powers in a pseudo-psychic manner had a lot of possibilities, given modern research on the brain and electromagnetic waves. I thought this was a good way of tapping into that potential without taking away from Jean.
    It was a little thing, like I said, I just couldn't put it together but whatever, it's not a big problem. It wasn't bad by any means, it just stopped me for a second. I figure that as an omega Telepath, Jean should be able to do it.

The teamup itself was good, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I'm supposed to be working but keep reading through threads. I'm nuts. Anywho, here goes.

Omega_DCD brought up that Jean has been able to read the minds of dead people and animals, most recently in X-Force #4, but also in X-Men: Unlimited #44, so maybe that's what was bothering you, though you may not have pinpointed it. It bothered me too, but Duggan's writing was so spectacular for her this issue, I'm willing to overlook it, especially because she got to work one-on-one with Lorna:

Eh, who needs work?

Thanks for this, I thought Jean would be up to the task. I'll just take it that Lorna's help made everything crisp and crystal clear for Jean, made everything 4KUltraHD.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I really wish we'd gotten this series when the relaunch started. It would have made everything more....pleasant? I think? Because having it now makes me doubt their motives and get all cynical about everything. Its like, "Everyone loves us now! (because they don't know about Terra Verde/the murders/the war crimes at the Gala/Brands' ****)". That's really just me though and not a knock on the series.

It was pretty standard superhero fare, which makes it stand out in the current line-up. It runs into the usual problems for team books, where not everyone feels important or really has much to do. That being said, its a very well done team book so far, and it being only issue 2 means there's plenty of time to balance out the cast. If it gets to issue 20 and Rogue still feels superfluous or Sunfire does nothing else, THEN it will be a real problem.
    I agree with you, it's nice to get these comfort food comics. I mean, everything you said here is on point, this book came way too late.

The thing about characters and panel time is that not everyone will get to do something significant in every issue, so yeah, hopefully there's a nice spread of the limelight throughout this books run.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quiet King 2 Regent Ororo RealEyesRealizeRealLies77's Avatar

It appears Duggan is making me eat my doubts about him writing the X-MEN,he is definitely bringing his A game(wish he would bring it to Marauders also).Most notable is the distinct personality Polaris has,the prissy diva is fitting her perfectly.Rogue's reaction to Remy gambling with known criminals was hilarious & Jean's mentoring of Synch was touching.The team dynamics,the multiple uses of mutant synergy and the human reaction & invitation to a BBQ were done flawlessly.I agree with others regarding Sunfire's speech & profession of his reasons for being an X-Man were a lil awkward.A stranger just asks your name and you just go into this whole diatribe?Took me a lil out the story but the only nitpick I have.Besides the bastardization of the innocent green mini skirt but I swear the more people complain the more they'll keep pushing it.Sublime artwork & colors again.This is killing my wallet though as I'm getting 2 copies of these books,one to put away & one to gaze at constantly LOL.
    The Pessimist looks down and hits his head
    The Optimist looks up and loses his footing
    The Realist looks forward and adjusts his path accordingly

Pull List : X-MEN , IMMORTAL X-MEN , NEW MUTANTS , X-MEN RED , WOLVERINE, THOR ,ETERNALS , BLACK PANTHER , EXCELLENCE , KILLADELPHIA , NOCTERRA ,THE NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE , LITTLE MONSTERS , BONEYARD ORCHARD , NIGHTMARE BLOG , SEVEN SONS

Quiet King 2 Regent Ororo RealEyesRealizeRealLies77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Diamond’s shipment has been delayed to Philly so there are no Marvel books in Philly comic book shops. I am so fucking mad right now!
    Sorry to hear bruh.I'm right across the bridge in Camden.If your'e mobile I can ask my dude at the store to hold a copy for you if you prefer not to wait.His store is Secret Origins in Collingswood,Nj.
    The Pessimist looks down and hits his head
    The Optimist looks up and loses his footing
    The Realist looks forward and adjusts his path accordingly

Pull List : X-MEN , IMMORTAL X-MEN , NEW MUTANTS , X-MEN RED , WOLVERINE, THOR ,ETERNALS , BLACK PANTHER , EXCELLENCE , KILLADELPHIA , NOCTERRA ,THE NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE , LITTLE MONSTERS , BONEYARD ORCHARD , NIGHTMARE BLOG , SEVEN SONS

Mighty Member

I agree with you, it's nice to get these comfort food comics. I mean, everything you said here is on point, this book came way too late.

The thing about characters and panel time is that not everyone will get to do something significant in every issue, so yeah, hopefully there's a nice spread of the limelight throughout this books run.
    I disagree. It's right on time actually. When this current era started, we saw Krakoka as salvation. We no longer feel the same way and see the shady aspects of the elites/council. The X-Men seem more heroic because Krakoans became so shady. The team was born out of the council's failures.

It also hasn't been long either. We lost a few months thanks to the pandemic and comic time is also slower than real time, so it really didn't take that long for the team to form considering.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I disagree. It's right on time actually. When this current era started, we saw Krakoka as salvation. We no longer feel the same way and see the shady aspects of the elites/council. The X-Men seem more heroic because Krakoans became so shady. The team was born out of the council's failures.

It also hasn't been long either. We lost a few months thanks to the pandemic and comic time is also slower than real time, so it really didn't take that long for the team to form considering.
    "We" is too broad - I've had these issues almost from the beginning. The pace for these developments has been abysmal for me, even taking real-life problems into account.

Besides, the creative teams set the time, it's taken this long because they wrote it that way.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Did we all forget that Rogue was in a COMA for the entire first arc of Excalibur? I swear some people will never be satisfied.