Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member HomoSuperior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    327

    Default Hellions #14 Review/Spoilers - stuff Tarn cares about

    Book opens with Tarn meeting with the circle on Arakko née Mars; Storm warns Tarn things have changed and the circle backs her up. Except one who seems to have suffered at Tarns hands. Tarn waves them off but not before throwing some shade at Storm: Tarn may be “the uncaring” but he will not suffer thieves. The scene ends with Tarn’s chill Mars patio moment interrupted by word there are thieves in his temple. Hellions to be exact.

    Cut to the Bar Sinister where Locus Vile are beefing with the Hellions, as seen in previews. Nanny, Orphan Maker and Wildchild are having an allergic reaction to the Locis Vile’s presence. We get a data page that explains: dying on Amenth forced them to evolve to survive Amenth. All hell breaks loose and Nanny, Orphan Maker draw blood to the surprise of others. Suddenly, Tarn makes a dramatic appearance and strips Wild Child of his Amenth mutation, leaving Kyle whimpering at Psylocke’s side.

    In the midst of the fray, Sinister presses his nearest BondVillainButton(tm) awakening and unleashing his personal clones on the combatants.

    Tarn senses and unlocks Sinister’s secret: The Hellions now know Sinister killed them just as they returned to Krakoa.

    While they are all distracted Sinister brokers a deal with his Amenth-surviving self: come with me if you want to make Chinera. Then they vanish through a portal.

    The issue ends with Psylocke screaming at the ceiling: ESSEXX!!!!

    Fun issue. It seems Tarn the Uncaring cares about a few things.
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 08-04-2021 at 08:17 AM.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Kingdom X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Another good issue. Also seems like we're getting some movement on the Chimera thread so I'm excited to see what comes next!

  3. #3

    Default

    I loved seeing our Regent Storm sitting on the Great Ring, and the others backing her stance. She belongs in this leadership role and I appreciate how connected the books are.

    Tarn can't say he wasn't warned. He's fun but I'm sad he has the ability to take away the enhanced strength of the ones that died in Amenth. I love evolved Nanny!



    Chimera coming?
    Boop! Krakoa forever!

  4. #4
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Another good issue. Also seems like we're getting some movement on the Chimera thread so I'm excited to see what comes next!
    I wonder if Welles will go so far as to actualy introduce any or leave it as a crisis averted at last minute?

    My take away from Hox/Pox was that the Chimeras are more or less the mutant version of Nimrods. A technological development which endangers humanity (which i always include mutants in when i use the term in context of the Marvel universe) as a whole just by existing, not only because of their direct powers, but the implication of what they make possible, once their creation has been achieved (and worst normalized).

    From the potential and fate of the 4th gen ones, to the fact that their creation would open the path for mutants towards becomming Post-Humans themself, i got the impression that Chimeras shouldn't be allowed to become a thing in 616.

    However it's troubeling to know that Sinister not only allready has a plan for their creation formalized and in motition, but that their creation fascinates him so much that he can use it convince a hatefull clone of himself to burry their grudge and join him again.

    Also it raises the question of just how much he might be aware of Moira X and Life 9 (x2), considering all the secrets he is aware of. Could he be in touch with something from that timeline/dimension?

    Though i also start to wonder if there might allready be "Proto-Chimeras" around? Gen zeros so to speak.

    For example Dark Beast was known to have experimented on Morlocks and directly called one of them "his creation". Considering his knowledge and motivation for said experimentation and creation are from the Age of Apocalypse universe, where Sinister could do horrible experiments to his hearts desire (meaning he could have been way ahead of 616 Sinister) and that Dark Beast's work on the Morlocks was later retconned into being the reason Sinister orchestrated the Morlock Massacre in first place, it raises the possibility that Sinister was afraid his Chimera plans could be compremised or Dark Beast could create inferior versions.

    That of course depends on how much Welles might be willing to dig into obscure informations regarding Dark Beast and Mister Sinister.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I wonder if Welles will go so far as to actualy introduce any or leave it as a crisis averted at last minute?

    My take away from Hox/Pox was that the Chimeras are more or less the mutant version of Nimrods. A technological development which endangers humanity (which i always include mutants in when i use the term in context of the Marvel universe) as a whole just by existing, not only because of their direct powers, but the implication of what they make possible, once their creation has been achieved (and worst normalized).

    From the potential and fate of the 4th gen ones, to the fact that their creation would open the path for mutants towards becomming Post-Humans themself, i got the impression that Chimeras shouldn't be allowed to become a thing in 616.

    However it's troubeling to know that Sinister not only allready has a plan for their creation formalized and in motition, but that their creation fascinates him so much that he can use it convince a hatefull clone of himself to burry their grudge and join him again.

    Also it raises the question of just how much he might be aware of Moira X and Life 9 (x2), considering all the secrets he is aware of. Could he be in touch with something from that timeline/dimension?

    Though i also start to wonder if there might allready be "Proto-Chimeras" around? Gen zeros so to speak.

    For example Dark Beast was known to have experimented on Morlocks and directly called one of them "his creation". Considering his knowledge and motivation for said experimentation and creation are from the Age of Apocalypse universe, where Sinister could do horrible experiments to his hearts desire (meaning he could have been way ahead of 616 Sinister) and that Dark Beast's work on the Morlocks was later retconned into being the reason Sinister orchestrated the Morlock Massacre in first place, it raises the possibility that Sinister was afraid his Chimera plans could be compremised or Dark Beast could create inferior versions.

    That of course depends on how much Welles might be willing to dig into obscure informations regarding Dark Beast and Mister Sinister.
    We shouldn't be surprised that Sinister has been planning something like this for a while. Remember when he created Inhuman Cyclops hybrid creatures after the Terrigen Mists were decimating mutants? And he's had access to mutant genes for decades so he has had plenty of time to think about creating hybrid mutants based on genes.

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Glio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I wonder if Welles will go so far as to actualy introduce any or leave it as a crisis averted at last minute?

    My take away from Hox/Pox was that the Chimeras are more or less the mutant version of Nimrods. A technological development which endangers humanity (which i always include mutants in when i use the term in context of the Marvel universe) as a whole just by existing, not only because of their direct powers, but the implication of what they make possible, once their creation has been achieved (and worst normalized).

    From the potential and fate of the 4th gen ones, to the fact that their creation would open the path for mutants towards becomming Post-Humans themself, i got the impression that Chimeras shouldn't be allowed to become a thing in 616.

    However it's troubeling to know that Sinister not only allready has a plan for their creation formalized and in motition, but that their creation fascinates him so much that he can use it convince a hatefull clone of himself to burry their grudge and join him again.

    Also it raises the question of just how much he might be aware of Moira X and Life 9 (x2), considering all the secrets he is aware of. Could he be in touch with something from that timeline/dimension?

    Though i also start to wonder if there might allready be "Proto-Chimeras" around? Gen zeros so to speak.

    For example Dark Beast was known to have experimented on Morlocks and directly called one of them "his creation". Considering his knowledge and motivation for said experimentation and creation are from the Age of Apocalypse universe, where Sinister could do horrible experiments to his hearts desire (meaning he could have been way ahead of 616 Sinister) and that Dark Beast's work on the Morlocks was later retconned into being the reason Sinister orchestrated the Morlock Massacre in first place, it raises the possibility that Sinister was afraid his Chimera plans could be compremised or Dark Beast could create inferior versions.

    That of course depends on how much Welles might be willing to dig into obscure informations regarding Dark Beast and Mister Sinister.
    This Sinister already mentioned the idea of mixing DNA from different mutants since they had forbidden him to (openly) clone. I think it was in Incoming! or something like that. He wanted to collect the DNA of all the Omegas but he was missing Legion, Mister M and Franklin.

    I guess now he just needs Mister M.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    We shouldn't be surprised that Sinister has been planning something like this for a while. Remember when he created Inhuman Cyclops hybrid creatures after the Terrigen Mists were decimating mutants? And he's had access to mutant genes for decades so he has had plenty of time to think about creating hybrid mutants based on genes.
    That's true.
    But looking back, it seems he was for the longest time obsessed with creating a super being by just combining the Summers and Grey families in a quasi-natural way. Now he suddently has the idea of synergizing multiple mutant power types at a lower scale for a strong combined power expression. That's quite a change of tactics if you ask me.

    While this might still be for the same goal (create an "ultimate mutant" so to speak), it seems that for something he (as far as we could see) never worked or aimed at before, he allready seems very advanced and well versed in how to achieve it. Hence me wondering if someone might have pointed him in the right direction?

    However i admit, i'm merely covering my bases here.

    Also it seems to me that the concept of the chimeras goes beyond just "hybriderization" and is more akin to multithreading in computer processors, combined with (as mentioned above) using synergy between multiple power types at a weaker scale for stronger results than just combining two high scale powers directly.

    For example. Imagine a Chimera which has the same overall powers and abilities as Storm, by combining 4 different powers which in tandem can replicate her single one (again at a weaker scale than their original single X-gene).
    While this might sound like an overly complicated way to a create a mutant like Storm, rather than just cloning her or putting her X-gene into a different person, we would have to consider that the Chimera could still use all 4 weaker powers individualy, plus having the ability to combine them into different ways.

    That's a massive game changer.

    Note. This wasn't against you using the term hybrid. Merely me pondering about what the major difference between hybrid mutants and chimeras is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    This Sinister already mentioned the idea of mixing DNA from different mutants since they had forbidden him to (openly) clone. I think it was in Incoming! or something like that. He wanted to collect the DNA of all the Omegas but he was missing Legion, Mister M and Franklin.

    I guess now he just needs Mister M.
    If i recall right that was when he was allready on Krakoa and recruited to handle their DNA banks. So again, just conviniently after Moira X became a thing and Xavier and co. recruited him.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    3,760

    Default

    Can't wait for Kwannon to get back at Sinister.
    I would say he's going too far but we're way past that

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Kingdom X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Can't wait for Kwannon to get back at Sinister.
    I would say he's going too far but we're way past that
    Unfortunately I think he’s going to take her down with him by informing the team of the secret role she’s been playing for him.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 08-04-2021 at 09:38 AM.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    3,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Unfortunately I think he’s going to take her down with him by informing the team of the secret role she’s been playing for him.
    Oof, Hopefully knowing Zeb the team will understand.
    Greycrow and alex would, maybe even Darkchild and Nanny and Orphanmaker too.

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Also it seems to me that the concept of the chimeras goes beyond just "hybridization" and is more akin to multithreading in computer processors, combined with (as mentioned above) using synergy between multiple power types at a weaker scale for stronger results than just combining two high scale powers directly.

    For example. Imagine a Chimera which has the same overall powers and abilities as Storm, by combining 4 different powers which in tandem can replicate her single one (again at a weaker scale than their original single X-gene).

    While this might sound like an overly complicated way to a create a mutant like Storm, rather than just cloning her or putting her X-gene into a different person, we would have to consider that the Chimera could still use all 4 weaker powers individualy, plus having the ability to combine them into different ways.

    That's a massive game changer.
    So like, Rain Boy (rain/humidity), Wind-Dancer (wind), Oya (temperature) and Stinger (lightning), for instance, to make a cut-rate (very much not Omega) 'Storm?'

    It's a neat idea.

    Similarly, by chimera-ing a pure telepath like Tangerine or Fixx, with a pure telekinetic like Hellion or Link, you could make a bargain-basement 'Jean Grey.'

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    How the heck does Sinister know about No-Gates? To my knowledge only Moira, Xavier, and Magneto should know about it.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    So like, Rain Boy (rain/humidity), Wind-Dancer (wind), Oya (temperature) and Stinger (lightning), for instance, to make a cut-rate (very much not Omega) 'Storm?'

    It's a neat idea.

    Similarly, by chimera-ing a pure telepath like Tangerine or Fixx, with a pure telekinetic like Hellion or Link, you could make a bargain-basement 'Jean Grey.'
    For example, yes.

    Only i wasn't talking about just a "discount" or "bargain bin" versions. Because otherwise Sinister could just clone the original or give their powers to someone else, making the whole process of creating chimeras less usefull than just selecting from the millions of existing mutants and the allread many very powerfull ones among them and replicating them instead like he has done multiple times.

    Of course, there is still the advantage of being able to combine wildly different powers into one purpose designed mass production mutant as seen in Rasputin. But i don't think she was the kind of end goal Sinister has in mind when he created (or now creates) the process, since she is more or less just an advanced footsoldier.

    Something to throw at the Sentinels and their co-dependent unpowered human servants, while he worked on his perfection.

    With which i mean being able to create a mutants of equal level to these high end "single-power" mutants, but with the benefit of also having high individual controll of these "part" powers.

    Like being able to not only do anything Storm can do, but also have enough fine controll of the individual parts to outperform her in these fields. Like being able to take her lightning, reconfigure it and throw it back at her in a way she can't counter it.
    And then also combine these powers into far different results.

    I imagine that is what the 4th gens were like before they commited "suicide" (if that information is even true).

    Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    How the heck does Sinister know about No-Gates? To my knowledge only Moira, Xavier, and Magneto should know about it.
    And that's another reason i can't help but wonder if he got "outside" informations about all of this. Like x2 Sinister having send him a lot of informations over from his universe before what ever Moira's powers do have cut him off.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-04-2021 at 11:07 AM.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    How the heck does Sinister know about No-Gates? To my knowledge only Moira, Xavier, and Magneto should know about it.
    There was a Sinister Secret to the effect that Sinister punked Xavier and knew what's really being going on the whole time.

  15. #15
    Spectacular Member Aeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Is it me or does Tarn look like Gorr?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •