Default Forgotten heroes/villains you were surprised to see return

For me, there are a few that were just past their use-by date in that they hadn't been used in a while (so were somewhat safely forgotten about), and were heavily tied to a specific era. So I was surprised they were brought back.

KGBeast is the biggest. He wasn't that big a deal the first time (to me, anyway), given the number of rogues Batman has. His origin meant that he had a limited timespan left as a character as time's passage would make it unworkable eventually.

Captain Nazi is both stranger and more understandable, in some ways. So over-the-top, and so meant to be. I haven't actually read the story, but it seems timeslide would eventually push the decedent down a generation (and kill off his brother), there, too, necessitating a reworking.

But maybe they just didn't care about the longevity of particular backstories. Maybe I'm wrong, and people were begging for them be back. I mean, Captain Nazi was part of Freddy's hero origin.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    ...KGBeast is the biggest. He wasn't that big a deal the first time (to me, anyway), given the number of rogues Batman has. His origin meant that he had a limited timespan left as a character as time's passage would make it unworkable eventually...
    KGBeast debuted in 1988. The Soviet Union fell in 1991, and there is no exaggerating how completely that caught the world by surprise. So, while I won't claim he was the most original or well thought out antagonist DC ever cooked up, nobody could have realized his whole schtick was on borrowed time.

In some ways, like The Wrath, he was a prototype for Bane, being Batman's bleak shadow.

Now, in the "never expected to see him again" context, you're absolutely right. It's pretty clear he was intended as a one arc character. Then DC decided Batman doesn't go around killing people, no matter what.

KGBeast debuted in 1988. The Soviet Union fell in 1991, and there is no exaggerating how completely that caught the world by surprise. So, while I won't claim he was the most original or well thought out antagonist DC ever cooked up, nobody could have realized his whole schtick was on borrowed time.
    Oh yes, I knew that. My wording looks like I didn't, but I did. I'm victim of my own last-minute editing (I think). I meant bringing him back didn't make sense because timeslide would make him unworkable, not that him being created didn't make sense because of timeslide.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Oh yes, I knew that. My wording looks like I didn't, but I did. I'm victim of my own last-minute editing (I think). I meant bringing him back didn't make sense because timeslide would make him unworkable, not that him being created didn't make sense because of timeslide.
    Then I'm on Team Tzigone for this one.

Lots of Wonder Woman villains from the Orlando run Queen Atomia: leader of a sub atomic kingdom that wants to conquer the world of the giants using an army of red and blue automatons (positrons and electrons)

Blue Snowman, the transvestite fat iron man thief with snow theme. She has appeared a few times which is shocking even though I have a pitch for her that I think would be really cool.

Devastation a demonic little girl, master of psychological warfare. Only appeared during Eric Luke's run at first (with a few cameos in Young Justice and Justice Society). Then Orlando brought her back 10 years after out of nowhere. Really cool.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-05-2021 at 03:53 AM.

Also Hypnota in Suicide Squad. I don't think she has been anywhere in 70 years, and all of a sudden she's back.

I love that when some of these old, old pre-Crisis versions of characters appear they are in their original costumes, as if the artist referenced the original Who's Who run. I love that Clock King still looks like his old self.

To answer the question I was somewhat surprised to see Brother Power return in Swamp Thing years ago, and the appearance of some guy named Jason who was riding his motorbike through Limbo in search of his lost sister (in an issue of Animal Man) intrigued me so much that I had to look up just who he was. It's great that DC has such a rich tapestry of characters to dust off and make relevant again.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Incredible Member

Surprised Omega Men got a book in 2015 and 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There are dozens of characters whose identities are based on bygone eras. It's easy enough to tweak his backstory to make it fit - or don't and say he's like the Winter Soldier - someone's who's been around that long. Fighting for a dead regime actually makes him potentially more interesting in my mind. (not like every other Batman villain is still based on 30's style gangsters)

The villain I'm surprised by is Javelin's appearance in "The Suicide Squad." I'm sure Polka-Dot Man is up there as well, but there's something especially forgettable about that guy, especially since his yellow javelins don't mean anything to a GL these days. Who's next - The Invisible Destroyer?? (yes, please!!)

Red Lion

Lord Battle

David Zavimbe

an modern reinterpretation of the original Tyroc concept

Bloodwynd

all the Immortals from the Immortal Men
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    and the appearance of some guy named Jason who was riding his motorbike through Limbo in search of his lost sister (in an issue of Animal Man) intrigued me so much that I had to look up just who he was.
    who was he?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I never read Priest's Deathstroke but when I saw pics of my girl Nightshade I couldn't control my excitement. That was the last place I thought she would return, old continuity and all.

Vigilante. The Adrian Chase version to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    who was he?
    An obscure 70's title called 'Jason's Quest'. Was quickly cancelled, I recall reading somewhere.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/