Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Why does DC lie by saying WW is part of a trinity?

The WW lore has and still gets the shortest end of the stick compared to BM and SM. So why do we still see DC writers and heads insisting that she is an important part of the DCU along with BM and SM? What do they gain by lipservice that is never backed up by actual evidence? I have seen how ''important'' WW lore is in most event. Basically filler. And a glorified whom in some major DC stories like KC. So why is this lie still being fed? And why even comic readers feed this lie, when it is pretty clear she has no place next to BM and SM other than being the most famous hero girl. Why is this lie still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    If you are happy with the way DC treats WW. Good for you. I'm not and it doesn't make me a troll.

Now for everybody that wants to discuss the fake trinity concept. This thread is here.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    If you are happy with the way DC treats WW. Good for you. I'm not and it doesn't make me a troll.

Now for everybody that wants to discuss the fake trinity concept. This thread is here.
    Okay, I'll bite. They lie and say that to boost her credentials and make her seem more important because she never has been as good a seller. No, she isn't treated the same as them (and Superman isn't treated the same as Batman these days), but this was done to give her more clout and make her bigger than she was previously. And she has gotten more exposure/use in comics through it. Also probably helps that she's the most-known heroine to casual fans.

For the record, I dislike the Trinity concept as it is often treated, and think that, in-universe, heroes should mostly treat each other as equals, not those three above the others.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-04-2021 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    The WW lore has and still gets the shortest end of the stick compared to BM and SM. So why do we still see DC writers and heads insisting that she is an important part of the DCU along with BM and SM? What do they gain by lipservice that is never backed up by actual evidence? I have seen how ''important'' WW lore is in most event. Basically filler. And a glorified whom in some major DC stories like KC. So why is this lie still being fed? And why even comic readers feed this lie, when it is pretty clear she has no place next to BM and SM other than being the most famous hero girl. Why is this lie still around?
    You realize that the only meaning behind " the trinity" is that all three characters havevthe longest continuous publishing history, right? Like, literally, that's it.

They are therefore the mostvrecognizable, and or most important. Anything else layed on top of all that is nothing.

It's just about longevity.

You realize that the only meaning behind " the trinity" is that all three characters havevthe longest continuous publishing history, right? Like, literally, that's it.

They are therefore the mostvrecognizable, and or most important. Anything else layed on top of all that is nothing.

It's just about longevity.
    That's not how it's always treated. And, BTW, Dick Grayson is older than her. And Ollie about as old (though, like Dick he never had his own title back then).

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. They lie and say that to boost her credentials and make her seem more important because she never has been as good a seller. No, she isn't treated the same as them (and Superman isn't treated the same as Batman these days), but this was done to give her more clout and make her bigger than she was previously. And she has gotten more exposure/use in comics through it. Also probably helps that she's the most-known heroine to casual fans.

For the record, I dislike the Trinity concept as it is often treated, and think that, in-universe, heroes should mostly treat each other as equals, not those three above the others.
    Hard to sell as much as them when she never got the chance to have the same level of media push and support. Even though first WW run sold well. But they have never put the same effort into her lore as batman and superman. You can't expect hits to happen by miracle. You need to invest in them. Even after having hits like the 70s TV show or her 2017 film. They still never gave her the chance to expand her horizon.

That's not how it's always treated. And, BTW, Dick Grayson is older than her. And Ollie about as old (though, like Dick he never had his own title back then).
    But that's the thing: Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman each headlined a book (Action Comics, Detective Comics, and Sensation Comics) but also each had their own self-titled book as well, and those books were continuously published from the Golden Age into the Silver Age (and beyond). So those three titles survived the Golden Age.
    Dick and Ollie also were around from the Golden Age (as well as Aquaman I believe), but they didn't have their own self-titled book that carried them from the Golden Age and beyond.

It's a loaded, marketing buzzword, full of symbolism that doesn't necessarily get actualized in canon. It says these three have a particularly special place in the hearts of DC fans. But it's also somewhat ambiguous. It's basically just saying these three stand out, but that's like identifying the top 3 presidential candidates. The ambiguity is that the top three can be something like John Adams/Thomas Jefferson/Aaron Burr where all three were significant and seemed to have legitimate chances of winning at some point in the campaigning process. Or on the other end of the spectrum, they could be Joe Biden/DJT/whoever the heck finished third in the 2020 popular vote.

Just remember that regardless if writers buried WW into obscurity in actual stories, her name and likeness carry a lot of value for WB, and in a lot of ways that's more important than whatever gets printed in a comic book.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

They must like drafting on the religious connotations of the word Trinity. I dislike it for that same reason and wish they would have gone with Trio, Triad, or Trifecta. I was just reading an old 70s JLA book and was surprised to see an image of the league assembled and those three were at the center. Wonder Woman is still the gold standard when it comes to female superheroes and archetypes.

Publishing history refers to having maintained a solo book the longest. Dick and Oliver might have been around for longer or as long but neither has consistently held a solo book since their first appearance.

It’s pure marketing b/s. It’s obvious DC only really cares about Batman even though the concept of him standing shoulder to shoulder with Superman and Wonder Woman is downright laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Or on the other end of the spectrum, they could be Joe Biden/DJT/whoever the heck finished third in the 2020 popular vote.
    Are you saying that Wonder Woman is Kanye West?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I was just reading an old 70s JLA book and was surprised to see an image of the league assembled and those three were at the center.
    It's the Super Friends effect, along with her having a tv show and being on the cover of the Ms. #1 magazine

I still haven't figured out what's the first time WW / SM / BM teamed up just the three of them, but I read that it was in the late 60s. If someone figures it out please tell me.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-05-2021 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Are you saying that Wonder Woman is Kanye West?
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It's the Super Friends effect, along with her having a tv show and being on the cover of the Ms. #1 magazine

I still haven't figured out what's the first time WW / SM / BM teamed up just the three of them, but I read that it was in the late 60s. If someone figures it out please tell me.
    I was remember about this artículo
    https://www.cbr.com/when-did-wonder-...-and-superman/

It's so strange that Alan Moore was apparently the first comic book writer to put the three of them together, in the 80s.