Mighty Member

Default BAD comics you can't believe you used to enjoy?

In the early 80's I used to think that Jackie Jokers, Richie Rich's buddy, was soooo funny and I wanted to be like him. I also thought Wonder man was cool because of his red safari suit.

More recently I used to read CROSSED.

What comics have you moved on from?

BANNED

I was in the 12-13 range in the early '90s, so a f##k-ton of them. To start, there was the "bad girl" trend that as a young hormonal teenager I was all aboard for. Some examples of these that I owned at least one or two issues of: Dawn, Razor, Lady Death, Purgatori, Chastity, Shi (I stand by the 3 issue pin-up mini Senryaku, had stories about her upbringing between her Catholic Western mother and traditional Japanese grandfather in text blocks around the pin-ups based around traditional Asian martial arts strategies), Ballistic (f##king gorgeous early Michael Turner art with werewolves/vampires/futuristic tech/and a heavy dose of a cybernetic hot blonde with a tomboy cut), Witchblade, etc. Almost bought an issue of "Lady Rawhide" (someone apparently associated with Zorro?) because of a beautiful Adam Hughes cover.

Then you have a million Image comics with pouches/gritted teeth, more guns than any 12 guys should carry slung on the backs (posed, more-like) of said gritty/pouched-up tough guys/gals. But there were a lot of decent comics in the mix. Savage Dragon, Gen 13 (at least for a little while), some of the Spawn stuff. I also collected all Spider-Man and all X-Men titles at the time (and this was in the days of 8-12 books per franchise, a lot of babysitting to keep up with my pull list), and there were some stinkers.

I will say for whatever the case with Mr. Jones I did enjoy his Wonder Man run with Jeff Johnson art. Solid all-around, made me a fan of the character. I also liked the first "Crossed" series, for what it was. Ennis trying hard to be Ennis, but a good nigh-zombie story.

Incredible Member

Danger Girl - I love J. Scott Campbell's art but man that series was garbage, I even had the giant deluxe absolute size complete series, so glad I gave that one away.

Gen-13 - same thing I was the right age for that kind of book with all the meta and pop culture references but once J. Scott Campbell left the book so did I.

Age Of Apocalypse, Heroes Reborn, Onslaught, Spider-Man 2099, Punisher 2099, the first Venom limited series and all those trashy comics that Marvel was pumping out, basically what I felt was hot and trendy I absorbed that crap.

Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men, because the movies were red hot I naturally followed the trend of buying this junk.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Danger Girl - I love J. Scott Campbell's art but man that series was garbage, I even had the giant deluxe absolute size complete series, so glad I gave that one away.

Gen-13 - same thing I was the right age for that kind of book with all the meta and pop culture references but once J. Scott Campbell left the book so did I.

Age Of Apocalypse, Heroes Reborn, Onslaught, Spider-Man 2099, Punisher 2099, the first Venom limited series and all those trashy comics that Marvel was pumping out, basically what I felt was hot and trendy I absorbed that crap.

Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men, because the movies were red hot I naturally followed the trend of buying this junk.
    Ultimate Spider-Man? How exactly is it bad?

I use to read Frank Cho’s Liberty Meadows. The art was good but the writing not so much.

I say this a lot but Superpro. When I was 12 years old I loved the idea of a superhero with a football theme. But rereading the issues man were they kind of lame. Even Spiderman in issue one couldnt save it!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

None, to be honest.

That's not to say I don't like a lot of comics that *others* now think are bad, because I do. Stuff like all of the "Crossing" era Avengers titles, post-Zero Hour Justice League books, etc. No shame here, though. While they might not hold up to the standards of modern writing/art, I still enjoy them.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I think I just tired out after the first few arcs and realized I didn't care anymore for it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

I use to read Frank Cho’s Liberty Meadows. The art was good but the writing not so much.
    With Spider-Man I am at your side, but Liberty Meadows is funny as hell.

Mighty Member

I remember getting some chuckles out of Jackie Jokers and Richie Rich. Best thing about them was Ernie Colon's art. Sad Sack could be pretty funny, too.

A lot of the post-Claremont X-books I used to love in the '90s were pretty dire in hindsight. Not to mention a lot of early Image stuff like Youngblood and Stryke Force.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    With Spider-Man I am at your side, but Liberty Meadows is funny as hell.
    It's all absolute proof that Frank Cho is divinely inspired & the fact that he triggers the soy-boys is a bonus.

Wolverine Origins, I had a great time with the whole series (50 issues I think, plus a special) back when it came out. I read it from start to finish last year and IT IS HORRIBLE. Some cool moments here and there, but my younger self definitely owes me a lot of money and time
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I was really into some of the 2099 comics back in the day, particularly Doom 2099. These days it seems they get a lot of ridicule. I still go back and read the Warren Ellis issues from time to time. I'm not always a follower of this cancel culture movement.