Default Historical and Biographical Comics

Hi all,

Do you have recommendations for historical comics or biographical ones? I want to get my partner reading.
    I've ordered Maus, Palestine, Persepolis already so it can be modern or ancient (though he particularly likes things like Ancient Rome).

Throwing this in 'Independent' as I'm pretty sure Marvel don't do them!

Thanks

Fleur

Hopefully this counts, since I don't know too many. But my choice would be...

Fortune And Glory: A True Hollywood Comic Book Story

some of my favorites...

March Books One through Three by John Lewis, Nate Powell and friends
    Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang
    Houdini the Handcuff King Jason Lutes
    King by Ho Che Anderson
    Twenty One (Roberto Clemente) by Wilfred Santiago
    Yossel by Joe Kubert
    Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert
    Safe Area Gorazde by Joe Sacco
    Dignifying Science by Jim Ottaviani and friends
    Bone Sharps, Cowboys and Thunder Lizards by Jim Ottaviani and friends (about paleontology)
    Nat Turner by Kyle Baker
    The Fifth Beatle by Vivek Tiwary
    Barefoot Gen by Nakazawa (Hiroshima)
    Cartoon History of the Universe by Larry Gonick
    Cartoon History of the United States by Larry Gonick
    The Age of Bronze by Eric Shanower (Trojan War era)
    Two-Fisted Science by Jim Ottaviani and friends
    Fallout by Ottaviani and friends
    Berlin by Jason Lutes
    Hip Hop Family Tree by Ed Piskor
    The Dreamer by Will Eisner
    Last Days in Vietnam by Will Eisner
    Amiculus by Travis Horseman (set around the time of the fall of Rome)

that should get you started. Best bet, find a subject he likes to read about, then find a GN about that rather than trying to get him to read a GN you (or some one else) like to make sure he at least stats of interested in reading about it.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

That’s a great list, I have read the 5th Beatle and Hip Hop Family Tree. American Splendor by Harvey Pekar might be worth a look? March is terrific Bowie by Mike Allred is terrific too!

Thanks team, I'll get on them. My local library even has some on loan!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

James Ottavani creates LOTS of non-fiction/biographical comics, my favorites including "Naturalist" (naturalist E. O. Wilson) "Astronaut", profiling women of NASA; Jay Hosler did a GREAT book about bees, "Clan Apis," in which a honeybee narrates her life and times... There's a website, mentioned somewhere in CBR, which lists at least one hundred or more titles you might want to check out--. I looked for it, but clearly didn't use the right search terms. If I come across it, I'll mention it here. I see MRP mentions several of Ottavani's books, as well as a lot of really worthy others, too.
    Last edited by matt levin; 08-07-2021 at 05:27 PM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Jim Cornette Presents: Behind the Curtain Real Professional Wrestling Stories

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Ah, Jessica Jones, I have found it, tracked it down:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...yCom3Kmo#gid=0
    a data base of non-fiction comics by title, listing creators, publisher, genre, subject, and description. This last is personal opinion in quick-review form. Hope you enjoy it.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member

Marvel's Civil War mini was great. I think it was published on their Epic line.