Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default IMagine DC Launches A New What If? Style Series...What Would You Wanna See?

So, DC has explored alternate histories before obviously with Elseworlds and, more recently, Tales From the Dark Multiverse, which was quite obviously a rip-off of Marvel's classic What If? series formula.

But they haven't necessarily done it the SAME way that Marvel has (with the exception of the latter). Elseworlds has explored alternate versions of classic DC characters, yes, but many have just been RADICALLY different. Red Son Superman is essentially a different character from the main DCU Superman.

However, many of the What If? (and the Tales from the Dark Multiverse) stories branch off from the main canon at a SPECIFIC point and explore what would happen if that ONE event turned out differently.

For example, What If Gwen Stacy had lived? What If Karen Page had lived? What If Hulk had won World War Hulk? Those have all been What Ifs? The Tales of the Dark Multiverse also asked: What If Jean Paul Valley hadn't been defeated in Knightfall? and other such questions. BUT, those stories sort of took a decidedly DARK turn.

So, What If DC just decided to take a neutral stance with the concept? As in, don't aim to make the outcomes darker or worse from the mainstream continuity. I mean, they CAN be, but for the most part, just aim to make them different not worse.

So...what big or small events from DC's past should be revisited?

For example:

- What If Supergirl hadn't Died in Crisis on Infinite Earths?
    - What If Barry Allen had Gone to Jail for Murdering Reverse Flash?
    - What If Catwoman Hadn't Given her Daughter Helena Up for Adoption?

What are some ideas you all have?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-04-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Astonishing Member

What if Judas Contract never happened?

What if COIE’s never happened…

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Wally would be even worse off with Barry never dying.

What if…Blue Beetle had lived?

If Max hadn’t killed Ted Kord, how might Infinite Crisis have ended up etc. etc.

We already had a "What If . . . ?" line of books from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    Wally would be even worse off with Barry never dying.
    No I don’t think so… He could have developed more as an original character, rather than then take the place of a long established one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    What if…Blue Beetle had lived?

If Max hadn’t killed Ted Kord, how might Infinite Crisis have ended up etc. etc.
    This was actually the premise of Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis. Ted Kord survives and actually kills Max instead and then proceeds to f**k up everyone's sh*t.

No I don’t think so… He could have developed more as an original character, rather than then take the place of a long established one.
    I wouldn't say that Wally's development wasn't organic or original. He absolutely earned his place as the Flash. But, having said that, let's not make this into a Wally v. Barry debate, guys.

The whole idea of Wally taking the Flash mantle was DC stating this was a new age. Jay was Golden Age, Barry was Silver Age, and Wally as the Flash marks a new beginning. This was arguably the biggest result of Crisis overall.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I'ma gonna go wit dis.

COIE badly hurt a growing Earth franchise and started the Legion on a steady decline downward. And then there was Hawkman's mess. I would probably go with "What if the Earths never blended together in COIE?" to allow for stuff like Charlton and Fawcett spinoff books.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

DC continuity would be a lot more stable.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

What if Kara had come to Earth with Kal?
    Assassinate Putin!

Boisterously Confused

What If Highfather decided New Genesis must conquer Earth to keep The Anti-Life Equation from Darkseid's hands?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    What if Judas Contract never happened?
    What if *someone else* was the traitor.

The story goes all the way up to the Judas Contract (with some changes, as necessary), but we find out instead that somebody else

A) Slade has Silas Stone under his thumb and tech implanted in Cyborg that allows him to record and transmit video to Slade, and also allows Slade to take control of Cyborg when the time comes and turn him into a weapon against his teammates.

B) Slade fell into the cult of Trigon at some point in his globe-hopping assassin-for-hire days, and has a talisman that unleashes Raven's evil side and together they are to usher in a new age of Trigon over the blood and bodies of the Titans. (This would require the Judas Contract happen before any other 'Trigon shows up' storyline.)

C) There *is* no Vega, no Tamaran, etc. and 'Starfire' is just a metahuman who has been given a cosmetic surgical mod to appear alien, and some deep psychological programming to turn her into Slade's accomplice when he speaks the command word. (This would require that the Judas Contract happen before any sort of deep space adventures that might reveal the made-up alien fakery.)

Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post

So...what big or small events from DC's past should be revisited?
    Not sure if this one’s been suggested yet.

What If…Raven had joined The Justice League?

She originally went to them for help w. Trigon, but left after Zatanna detected evil in her.
    If she’d stayed though…