Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Characters we won't see headline a title again for a very long time...

Never say never in comics; Barry Allen and Bucky Barnes are proof of that. Nonetheless, there are some characters out there that DC has parked in a dark closet that I don't think we're going to be seeing again as headliners of a title or a feature. Who's on that list?

My personal answer is anybody waving a cosmic rod other than Courtney Whitmore. As long as Johns has one ounce of pull at DC, nobody's elbowing his favorite creation off the stage. For now, Starman's done.

Neither her nor the revamped version introduced during 52.

Astonishing Member

Can just drop the name.

I can't see any of the JSA characters headlining a title. Maybe Hawkman, Black Canary, Spectre and maybe Dr Fate but it feels like Wildcat, Hourman, Starman, Sentinel and Jay Garrick Flash will either be supporting characters or in ensemble settings.

Magical characters as well: Traci 13, Raven, Zatanna is getting up there, Dr Occult, Phantom Stranger, Madame Xanadu, etc.

Any of the Bloodlines folks who were given their own books (yeah, some of them are dead right now, but comics). So likely no new Anima, Gunfire, Loose Cannon, Argus (which could be one I'd want to see), or Razorsharp books coming ever. VERY outside chance on Hitman, but I'm guessing they wouldn't do it without Ennis, otherwise where's the real appeal?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Neither her nor the revamped version introduced during 52.
    And that one makes me sad. Maybe it's just 70's Kid Nostalgia, but she was awesome. To me, she belongs in the club Wonder Woman established.

The Warlord.
    No one’s ever really recaptured the magic of this character, not in the long term anyway.

Hawk & Dove.
    These characters have just had scattershot development over the last couple of decades that’s left them in a shitty situation for a solo book, imo.

Hawkman.
    I’m actually of two minds on this, in that his last book (which I liked) was cancelled, but the character’s set to get some good exposure via the upcoming Black Adam movie, so…maybe?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    The Warlord.
    No one’s ever really recaptured the magic of this character, not in the long term anyway.

Hawk & Dove.
    These characters have just had scattershot development over the last couple of decades that’s left them in a shitty situation for a solo book, imo.

Hawkman.
    I’m actually of two minds on this, in that his last book (which I liked) was cancelled, but the character’s set to get some good exposure via the upcoming Black Adam movie, so…maybe?
    Hawk and Dove are complicated. They were created for a specific moment that has passed. Of course, so was Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Hawk and Dove are complicated. They were created for a specific moment that has passed. Of course, so was Captain America.
    Yeah, but Barb and Karl Kessel and Greg Guler did a great job expanding their world/mythology and making them contemporary in the series back in the 90s (actually one of the most underrated 90s DC books, in my opinion) before Armageddon 2001 and then the Liefeld-driven New 52 title screwed all that up. Getting them back to something close to that would go a long way towards making them viable again.

Plus, given the state of the country/world currently, I'd argue Hawk and Dove could be even more relevant than they were in the decade that created them.

Hawk and Dove are complicated. They were created for a specific moment that has passed.
    True. Besides that, when you go back to the old Hawk and Dove, the entire point is neither of them is right. Like their father says - they just spout slogans/ideologies with no examination and no real ability to justify why theirs are right. Of course, he's not without his own narrow-mindedness. But to me, the point was that neither was right, and they needed to learn - to examine what their beliefs were and why, to see nuance, etc. Then we went to the 1980s Hawk and Dove. I enjoyed (the characters more than the plots), but with Don dead, they didn't have the chance to learn from each other (as was explicitly pointed out), and the setup - the two extremes - was lost with Dawn, who didn't occupy the same sort of space. Left Hank in a weird place. And, as said, weird stuff happened from there. I never did like the retcon on the voice that gave them their powers.

Of course, as said, it gets messier later with more retcons for Dawn. A sister added (never read those). Looked at just one issue of the New 52 title and was so very unhappy that they had Hank's dad pull strings to get him into Georgetown again. It's contrary to everything that Irwin Hall was to have him do that. And I know it seems like a minor thing, but if that's wrong (and to me it's wrong), then I just didn't have hope for the title, you know?

Bueno Excelente

#mic drop
    The J-man

I'd say Jonah Hex but I recall he was fairly prominent in Death Metal, though I imagine if he did a get future title, GN, or mini it wouldn't drape itself in Confederate imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Yeah, but Barb and Karl Kessel and Greg Guler did a great job expanding their world/mythology and making them contemporary in the series back in the 90s (actually one of the most underrated 90s DC books, in my opinion) before Armageddon 2001 and then the Liefeld-driven New 52 title screwed all that up. Getting them back to something close to that would go a long way towards making them viable again.

Plus, given the state of the country/world currently, I'd argue Hawk and Dove could be even more relevant than they were in the decade that created them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    True. Besides that, when you go back to the old Hawk and Dove, the entire point is neither of them is right. Like their father says - they just spout slogans/ideologies with no examination and no real ability to justify why theirs are right. Of course, he's not without his own narrow-mindedness. But to me, the point was that neither was right, and they needed to learn - to examine what their beliefs were and why, to see nuance, etc. Then we went to the 1980s Hawk and Dove. I enjoyed (the characters more than the plots), but with Don dead, they didn't have the chance to learn from each other (as was explicitly pointed out), and the setup - the two extremes - was lost with Dawn, who didn't occupy the same sort of space. Left Hank in a weird place. And, as said, weird stuff happened from there. I never did like the retcon on the voice that gave them their powers.

Of course, as said, it gets messier later with more retcons for Dawn. A sister added (never read those). Looked at just one issue of the New 52 title and was so very unhappy that they had Hank's dad pull strings to get him into Georgetown again. It's contrary to everything that Irwin Hall was to have him do that. And I know it seems like a minor thing, but if that's wrong (and to me it's wrong), then I just didn't have hope for the title, you know?

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

And yeah, I can see these characters being relevant today. Part of that would be getting back to something like their excellent 90s series. I mean, it’ll never happen, but I’d be on board if it did.

Orion
    Spectre
    Zatanna
    Hawkgirl
    Firestorm
    Sgt.Rock
    Enemy Ace
    Unknown Soldier

My personal answer is anybody waving a cosmic rod other than Courtney Whitmore. As long as Johns has one ounce of pull at DC, nobody's elbowing his favorite creation off the stage. For now, Starman's done.
    Courtney's never even had her own series since she's taken up the Stargirl mantle. And there was a Starman prominently n the Justice League after she took up the Stargirl mantle, at a time when Johns had much, much more pull than he does now: Mikaal Tomas. They even brought back Will Payton in a large role in Snyder's Justice League in the build up to Death Metal.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans