Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    None of them were cosmic-rod wielding Starmen, however.
    His original comment stated:

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    For now, Starman's done.
    He's not, and there's been two of them since Courtney got the staff.

Cosmic Rod =/= Starman. Not every one of them used it.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    His original comment stated:

He's not, and there's been two of them since Courtney got the staff.

Cosmic Rod =/= Starman. Not every one of them used it.
    Actually, the very first post said:
    . . . My personal answer is anybody waving a cosmic rod other than Courtney Whitmore. As long as Johns has one ounce of pull at DC, nobody's elbowing his favorite creation off the stage. For now, Starman's done.
    And nobody else new has come along since Courtney that uses a cosmic rod, and I'm not aware of any new character created since Courtney that goes by Starman.
    * Mikaal Tomas first appeared back in the mid-1970s.
    * Will Payton first appeared in 1988.
    * And even the most recent Starman I can think of (Danny Blaine​ / Thom Kallor) was really Star Boy of the Legion of Super-Heroes (who first appeared in the early 1960s).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Neither her nor the revamped version introduced during 52.
    Was she limbo'ed because of her name? I thought she was a cool character and definitely wanted to see more of her. Her being wed to Black Adam was cool too and they really emerged as one of DC's power-couples.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Actually, the very first post said:And nobody else new has come along since Courtney that uses a cosmic rod, and I'm not aware of any new character created since Courtney that goes by Starman.
    * Mikaal Tomas first appeared back in the mid-1970s.
    * Will Payton first appeared in 1988.
    * And even the most recent Starman I can think of (Danny Blaine​ / Thom Kallor) was really Star Boy of the Legion of Super-Heroes (who first appeared in the early 1960s).
    So it has to be an entirely new character to count? If so, this entire thread was redundant before it was created.

It doesn't matter when they were created. They were used, as Starman, post-Courtney. She doesn't have a chokehold on the "Star" gimmick.

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Red Tornado (Hasn't been used beyond group shots since, when, his last mini? Short of a Vision style book, doubt folks would turn up for an emotionless android on a monthly basis)
    Red Tornado would totally suit a book in the same vein as The Vision. He already HAS a family, a human wife and adopted daughter, right? Maybe the girl would ask for a sibling, so he BUILDS her one - a character who could be DC's version of Viv Vision?
    Can we define "shortly"?
    Within the next couple of months. i.e. when the Stargirl show is on air. If they don't solicit it by the time season 2 of the TV show ends, then they're idiots. Strike while the iron is hot!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Apparently my man, Ray Palmer. I don't know why DC hates him so much.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

So it has to be an entirely new character to count? If so, this entire thread was redundant before it was created.

It doesn't matter when they were created. They were used, as Starman, post-Courtney. She doesn't have a chokehold on the "Star" gimmick.
    I didn't say they have to be "new" characters (in fact, don't forget I didn't start / create this thread).
    I am pointing out that DC still seems to be going with Coutney as the main Starman-line character and that other characters who have had that name in the past have made appearances recently but are NOT characters who will be in a position to "HEADLINE A TITLE AGAIN" in the foreseeable future. (And since the TITLE of this thread was "CHARACTERS WE WON'T SEE HEADLINE A TITLE AGAIN FOR A VERY LONG TIME...", any of the previous Starmen would probably fit that category at least until Geoff Johns totally leaves DC Comics.)

Rex the Wonder Dog
    Tomahawk
    Uncle Sam
    OMAC
    Tommy Tomorrow
    Space Cabbie
    Arion, Lord of Atlantis
    Hercules
    The Atomic Knights
    Prez
    Brother Power the Geek
    Shade the Changing Man
    The Creeper

I didn't say they have to be "new" characters (in fact, don't forget I didn't start / create this thread).
    I am pointing out that DC still seems to be going with Coutney as the main Starman-line character and that other characters who have had that name in the past have made appearances recently but are NOT characters who will be in a position to "HEADLINE A TITLE AGAIN" in the foreseeable future. (And since the TITLE of this thread was "CHARACTERS WE WON'T SEE HEADLINE A TITLE AGAIN FOR A VERY LONG TIME...", any of the previous Starmen would probably fit that category at least until Geoff Johns totally leaves DC Comics.)
    Peyton and Tomas were both in Justice League, DC's premier team book, one of which was under Snyder, DC's biggest writer at that time. At a time when Courtney wasn't even being used in the comics. She was shelved for quite some time at that point.

At this point if anyone gets a series it would be her, but only because of the TV show considering how both major publishers love synergy. But DC are in no way apprehensive to use other Starman characters or are handcuffed to Courtney as history has proven.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Neither her nor the revamped version introduced during 52.
    I think the character's rights are with Filmation rather than DC. That's the main reason we haven't seen much of her since the 1970s.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Boisterously Confused

Peyton and Tomas were both in Justice League, DC's premier team book, one of which was under Snyder, DC's biggest writer at that time. At a time when Courtney wasn't even being used in the comics. She was shelved for quite some time at that point.

At this point if anyone gets a series it would be her, but only because of the TV show considering how both major publishers love synergy. But DC are in no way apprehensive to use other Starman characters or are handcuffed to Courtney as history has proven.
    First, the Starmen you mention didn't headline those books you mention (headlining a book being in the title of the thread that I started, so you're nitpicking). However, if it will get this popcorn kernel out from between your teeth and gums, I was inspecific. You should be able to see it in the OP, but, as you can't, I referred to the interpretations of Starman linked to Ted Knight's technology.

Candidly (even knowing this will put more popcorn kernels in your dentures), in the context of DC's whole history, the other Starmen you cite are irrelevant.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think the character's rights are with Filmation rather than DC. That's the main reason we haven't seen much of her since the 1970s.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    A shame in any case. She deserves B stature place, at the least.

First, the Starmen you mention didn't headline those books you mention (headlining a book being in the title of the thread that I started, so you're nitpicking).
    Neither has Courtney. The only book she's headlined was when she was the Star Spangled Kid.

You also act as if there have been numerous series headlined by Starman. To my knowledge, there have only been two Starman ongoings, one with Peyton (who didn't use Ted Knight's technology that you are so insistent has to be used to qualify) and the other with Jack.

Candidly (even knowing this will put more popcorn kernels in your dentures), in the context of DC's whole history, the other Starmen you cite are irrelevant.
    Popcorn kernels? Sorry your thread isn't an echo chamber of only people that agree with you.

Also their relevancy is your opinion. If you want to go into DC's "whole history" Peyton had an ongoing for 4 years, and Tomas was an openly gay character at a time when it was far from the norm in DC comics, and only beginning to become more commonplace at the big two publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Apparently my man, Ray Palmer. I don't know why DC hates him so much.
    That's a good point. One of the big JLA satellite characters, and i think he has less runs than characters like the Specter and Deadman?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    That's a good point. One of the big JLA satellite characters, and i think he has less runs than characters like the Specter and Deadman?
    As much love as the rest of the silver age characters get, I'm not sure why Ray constantly gets the shaft.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!