• Depends

5 25.00%
  • Maybe

1 5.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diana Prince ID

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    for me Diana Prince is actually a good thing. She can use it to help people she can't do has Wonder Woman.
    I can't really think of anything she couldn't do as Wonder Woman. I'd think that her celebrity would actually be an advantage in any social cause that she decided to champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice Prince View Post
    I can't really think of anything she couldn't do as Wonder Woman. I'd think that her celebrity would actually be an advantage in any social cause that she decided to champion.
    One idea is that she can "hide in plain sight" as Diana Prince.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Interesting facts ... She was actually a high ranked officer for a woman. Being a Lieutenant in the 1940s was actually a sign that she was highly accomplished ... And at the time a secretarial role was a big thing for a woman, and prior to secretary she was a nurse. Today she'd be a CEO if they wished to illustrate civilian accomplishment, but realistically she'd need a job that would give her the ability to vanish to be WW ... Secret Agent is a little over done IMO, but it's also logical.

You're right, back in the 40s, being a nurse and then a secretary was quite an accomplishment for a woman but now a days, people have made comments that they feel those roles diminished Diana Prince's significance. I could see a modern day DP being a Vice President of Human Resources or CEO of a women's shelter.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    You're right, back in the 40s, being a nurse and then a secretary was quite an accomplishment for a woman but now a days, people have made comments that they feel those roles diminished Diana Prince's significance. I could see a modern day DP being a Vice President of Human Resources or CEO of a women's shelter.
    Maybe the pendulum should start swinging in the other direction. Why does she have to have a job that puts her in a prominent position? I figure if the point of a secret ID is to help you maintain a secret, you'd be better off with an ID that lets you blend in and be part of the crowd, not on a pedestal for a lot of people to scrutinize you. She could be one of many volunteers at said shelter, or run a pretzel stand. I guess unglamorous jobs are not looked upon as interesting.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm not sure why being a nurse or a secretary would be viewed as diminishing her significance. That view is kind of condescending to the women (and men!) who fill those roles in modern society. I think a 9-to-5 job like that could help bring back the "everywoman" quality that a lot of people seem to think WW is lacking. I wouldn't mind seeing Diana go to work every day to pay the bills, as it's still kind of unclear how she's affording that apartment. You could also make her a secretary to someone who is in the know of her secret ID (Steve, maybe Darnell) who would look the other way so she wouldn't lose her job when she goes to fight crime.

And if people want to see female characters in more "interesting" jobs, we could always use Myndi Mayer (publicist), Julia Kapatelis (college professor) and Etta (military), among others.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

You both bring up some good counter arguments. I guess I wouldn't mind if Diana was a secretary as long as she's not coming across as sub-servant to Steve or anyone else. A spineless DP is no fun to me.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    That's only how she has been portrayed since COIE ... A clever writer could easily integrate DP as a real person in an attempt to have Diana learn more about humanity. Just like in the original versions, get a job, get an apartment, make some friends. It's not necessary, but they could do it if they chose to ... I just don't want them to do it half@ss
    That's not what a real person is in my book. You make it sound a lot like you want a Diana who suffers from multiple-personality-disorder.

It's a if I were to start wearing fake glasses, use a completely fake name, and started pretending to be not myself, in time living two completely seperate lives. Just for the sake of living two lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That's not what a real person is in my book. You make it sound a lot like you want a Diana who suffers from multiple-personality-disorder.

It's a if I were to start wearing fake glasses, use a completely fake name, and started pretending to be not myself, in time living two completely seperate lives. Just for the sake of living two lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    You both bring up some good counter arguments. I guess I wouldn't mind if Diana was a secretary as long as she's not coming across as sub-servant to Steve or anyone else. A spineless DP is no fun to me.
    I agree with you. Not on the fact she necessary has to work under someone who knows her identity, but on the fact I wouldn't want her to act differentely, to act like someone else so that others can't figure her identity... She is supposed to be always true to herself, so yeah, she can even wear glasses of what else, but I wouldn't absolutely want her to stumble, ecc... to pass as insignificant. She should continue to inspire in her DP just like when Wonder Woman. She should still continue to be a Wonder Woman even if not showing her powers. Her job doesn't really matter. Agent, secretary, nurse...

I'd like her to use her I.D. like in Spirit of the Truth, though... something she uses when she needs it, to walk among people without being recognized as Wonder Woman. Or she could even get a job only temporarly for a specific mission.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Why not let her be an create of her own company as Diana Prince to inspire people?

Diana shouldn't not lie? Only tell the truth. How do guys feel about the movie using it