Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Magma and Polaris feats that make them Omega candidates

Many believe Polaris and magma should be added to the omega roster but since I do not know much about their feats and strength I wanted to ask if anyone does. I will kindly like to hear of them.

Spectacular Member

Lorna can't be an Omega unless she can surpass Magneto based on Hickman's definition of the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
    Lorna can't be an Omega unless she can surpass Magneto based on Hickman's definition of the term.
    First in canon Polaris >= Magneto.

And second. That is not really true, the condition is that someone outside the mutants does not surpass said mutant in question in his power category, for example they gave it with Forge and Reeed Richards who surpasses him in technology only human.

Which brings me a very interesting debate about storm and Thor which has already proven in canon to be superior to storm several times, even fighting against each other, this according to the Hickman rules should rule out Storm how does Omega not?

But nowhere does it say that there can be several Omega mutants in the same category of power, for example those that distort reality there are 4 of them and in telepathy there are two and it should be 4 with Rachel and Xavier.

There may be more than one Omega in the same category of power, see the example of Jean and Kid Omega and I don't think anyone believes that kid Omega and jean are equally strong, or Franklin Richards and the others alters reality that there are some quite weak relative to the Franklin level.

Anyway, I do not see that there is any impediment for Polaris (like other characters) and magma to be declared Omega in the not too distant future.
    Hickman simply did what he wanted, for example arbitrarily removing Rachel from an Omega list that was precisely born with her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post

And second. That is not really true, the condition is that someone outside the mutants does not surpass said mutant in question in his power category, for example they gave it with Forge and Reeed Richards who surpasses him in technology only human.

Which brings me a very interesting debate about storm and Thor which has already proven in canon to be superior to storm several times, even fighting against each other, this according to the Hickman rules should rule out Storm how does Omega not?

But nowhere does it say that there can be several Omega mutants in the same category of power, for example those that distort reality there are 4 of them and in telepathy there are two and it should be 4 with Rachel and Xavier.

There may be more than one Omega in the same category of power, see the example of Jean and Kid Omega and I don't think anyone believes that kid Omega and jean are equally strong, or Franklin Richards and the others alters reality that there are some quite weak relative to the Franklin level.

Anyway, I do not see that there is any impediment for Polaris (like other characters) and magma to be declared Omega in the not too distant future.
    Hickman simply did what he wanted, for example arbitrarily removing Rachel from an Omega list that was precisely born with her.
    To be honest I am with you on the Thor part he has been shown doing crazy weather feats he can literally control cosmic weather on a whim and even create temporal storms. So even we as storm fans were a bit jaded when we saw this happy because well they always said she had nigh unlimited potential but still never demonstrated with exception of the galactic core, trion dimension and some others. But most of the time lightning lass. But now they are pushing that she is stronger so we might see why very soon and I am excited.

But there is a likely hood that Thor is not really a weather manipulator but a weather manifestor hence why his control over weather has no concequence if we state that then it makes sense because even on the list we have power manipulation and power manifestation both are very different, so Thor can conjure all kinds of weather even conceptual ones but really can't control it but storm can control all forms of weather and by all forms they mean all forms even nanobot storms and has stated that she can make storms of locust, tornadoes of fire and make it rain frogs added to manipulation and healing rifts in reality.
    Last edited by dirtynun; 08-06-2021 at 01:59 AM.

BANNED

To be honest I am with you on the Thor part he has been shown doing crazy weather feats he can literally control cosmic weather on a whim and even create temporal storms. So even we as storm fans were a bit jaded when we saw this happy because well they always said she had nigh unlimited potential but still never demonstrated with exception of the galactic core, trion dimension and some others. But most of the time lightning lass. But now they are pushing that she is stronger so we might see why very soon and I am excited.

BANNED

But I want magma and Polaris feats that put them on the omega scale because each of these omegas at least have some cosmic feats under their belts.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Magma could (and should) be an Omega mutant. I mean she can create and erupt feckin' volcano's
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Hasn't Lorna been regularly mentioned in the past as having higher potential than Magneto's ?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    But I want magma and Polaris feats that put them on the omega scale because each of these omegas at least have some cosmic feats under their belts.
    Amara survived falling into a volcano and manipulated it with complete freedom in the first issues of New mutants she was seen creating Magma anywhere there is land, even in cities.
    I know that maybe it is more amazing how a manipulator of reality But few are, and if we left, I insist neither Iceman nor Hope should be Omega.

And being honest most of the time Magna looks much more powerful than Boby for example.

Amara does not need extremely great feats of power, she only needs that in her type of power there is no other non-mutant being that surpasses in her power, and I do not know in Marvel another being that surpasses magma, Terrax perhaps although he specializes more in other things .

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Hasn't Lorna been regularly mentioned in the past as having higher potential than Magneto's ?
    In canon it has already been said Lorna is equal to or even has greater potential than her father, so it is ridiculous that he is on the list and she is not, it shows that Hickman did not do the task well.
    but I'm sure she will be included in the list eventually.

Another point there are several times that Magneto has suffered from power losses or severe limitations.
    that goes totally against what an Omega is, limiting that.

As I said in the other thread, my issue with Lorna not being considered Omega, at the same time Magneto is considered Omega, isn't a matter of "teh awsum feetz." It's a matter of how the current definition Marvel has combined with what past comics have outright said about Lorna compared to Magneto mean she should be Omega if Marvel was following their own rules. And that Marvel choosing to ignore their own past work here is ensuring certain stories can't be told that not only should be, but actually were being told 20 years ago.

To put it another way, you can have a psychic character that has never done a single thing with their powers in the comics. No actual visible signs of what they can do and how they do it. But if Marvel's written stories where they outright say multiple times "Hey, this mutant could rival Jean Grey in telepathy" and then later had Jean say "This mutant's powers are comparable to mine, and maybe exceed them," then with the current definition, I expect them to be listed as an Omega telepath because Jean is. Actual displays of such are irrelevant.

And, frankly, digging into the weeds of feats like this is akin to reducing an argument to semantics over what the words you're using mean. It's arguing the "semantics" of what each individual person considers "impressive enough" uses of their powers. One person can say "Yeah I think lifting an entire ocean is Omega level." Another will say "No, I think being able to manipulate down to the tiniest of atoms is more Omega." As if it's not possible for both to count, and both be equally impressive in their own ways.

Long story short, what "feats" they've done isn't relevant if you have Marvel outright saying multiple times in past comics that a character who should be Omega fits all the same markers that allowed another character to become Omega.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-06-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Extraordinary Member

With Magma her greatest feat was holding an entire planet together through sheer force of will while Warlock's father Magus was attempting to tear it apart in New Mutants 50. Imagine if Frieza was right about Namek exploding in 5 minutes but it was still able to last for the entirety of his 2-hour fight with Goku because there was someone actively keeping it from exploding. Her power is easily on a planetary scale.

Magma is omega

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

No it's both conditions -- someone outside can't surpass, and no other mutant of the same power type can surpass.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    No it's both conditions -- someone outside can't surpass, and no other mutant of the same power type can surpass.
    There's no stipulation that there can be only one mutant for each category. Jean Grey and Quentin Quire are both listed as Omega telepaths. Which, again with what I said above, means Lorna and Magneto should both be listed as Omega if Magneto is.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)