Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I think Nightcrawler killed Wanda while blackout drunk.
    I also believe that Carmen will not leave her friends and family behind, as she believes that everyone needs her.
    My flag is bacon.

Goodbye CotA. No one wanted or read you. May your characters survive their second appearance ever in an event in 10 years.

If any of the haters in this thread actually read CotA, they’d be singing a different tune. I understand the concept of the book isn’t one many wanted, but that bit aside, it’s a well written book.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    If any of the haters in this thread actually read CotA, they’d be singing a different tune. I understand the concept of the book isn’t one many wanted, but that bit aside, it’s a well written book.
    The only points of interest in CotA were the X-Men cameos.
    My flag is bacon.

I like COTA.

But i hate the fact that them arent mutants. thats dumb and sad

Dang, I’d like to see more of Mystique training Carmen.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    So...

The human kids don't get to go too?
    Did they get invited?
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Did they get invited?
    No. Storm invited only Carmen.

While outing her

One unpleasant thought regarding the previous speculation:
    spoilers:
    Could it be that Carmen’s shapeshifting might not revert after death…
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Its is indeed clear some of the heaters did not raad the serious, if you some of the comments.

The series was well written and in 5 issues we have learned quite a lot about these 5 kids.

A shame it will not get a follow up. Hope GIMMICK at least will stick around
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Goodbye CotA. No one wanted or read you. May your characters survive their second appearance ever in an event in 10 years.
    Hmm.
    In ten years someone makes a mini series about failed teenage super heros being in a counceling session, with one of these characters among them, which turns into an adventure when they get sucked into super natural events.
    The series becomes a sleeper hit and the character from the COTA among them suddently gains a reasonable fan base thanks to being written well, differently and having more interesting gear. Suddently becoming elevated to beloved C-lister and make regular appearances in various other works.

Not an accurate prediction, but just thinking of what is still entirely possible here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    No. Storm invited only Carmen.

While outing her

One unpleasant thought regarding the previous speculation:
    spoilers:
    Could it be that Carmen’s shapeshifting might not revert after death…
    end of spoilers
    Heh I get that it was kinda wrong for storm to tell others without her consent it gave me Bobby you are gay from jean.

BANNED

Makes me wonder if Ororo will receive the same length of scorn and outrage behind this from the LGBT community that teen Jean received -- even though teen Jean only told Bobby himself that he was gay...
    Last edited by Micabe; 08-07-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Makes me wonder if Ororo will receive the same length of scorn and outrage behind this from the LGBT community that teen Jean received -- even though teen Jean only told Bobby himself that he was gay...
    She shouldn’t because A) being a mutant is a fake minority and B) she doesn’t know these kids. She wouldn’t have necessarily known that Carmen was hiding that she was a mutant, whereas Jean had to dig into Bobby’s mind knowing that this was a reality that he was uncomfortable with and make him have a conversation about his sexuality that he did not want to have.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    She shouldn’t because A) being a mutant is a fake minority and B) she doesn’t know these kids. She wouldn’t have necessarily known that Carmen was hiding that she was a mutant, whereas Jean had to dig into Bobby’s mind knowing that this was a reality that he was uncomfortable with and make him have a conversation about his sexuality that he did not want to have.
    And then there is the different scope in all of this.

The reveal with Icemen involved one of the very original five X-men, very well known even to a casual audience via cartoons and hollywood movies, who had never shown any real signs of not being straight (including when people could read his actual toughts) over 50 years of on pannel continuity, being being suddently retconned into being purely homosexual, in a "memetic" (awkward) drawn and written manner, in what was at the time one of the core books of the X-men franchise and under a writer who's name catches a lot of attention (one can say what one wants about the quality of Bendis writing, but at the time his name brought attention to things he wrote).

What ever one supports what Iceman got retconned into or not, the way it happend just lends itself to controversy and critical reactions in various forms, from all sides of the spectrum and personal views, who caught attention of it because of who and where it happend.

Compared to that, COTA is an allready failed satelite title, involving brand new characters, with next to no real history, who didn't manage to sustain much attention. So it's not like many would pay attention to something happening in it, which COULD be read as a resembling a situation in which someone gets outed against their will.

And then there is the fact that the main characters are allready on various parts of the sexual spectrum, of different ethnicities and highly supportive of the thing the character in question gets exposed as.

So let's recap. An openly homosexual female character of likely mixed non-white ethnicity, gets exposed without her consent, as also qualifying for a fictional group of people, defined by purely fictional super powers, originating from a fictional and unscientific gene, which have often (and at times overly bluntly) been used as stand ins for various real life minorities and their struggles, most notably people of african heritage in the USA and those on the LGBTQ+ spectrum and which she and her friends (a straight black male, an asexual white male, a bi-sexual white woman, a straight(?) asian male) have also pretended to be part of for months because they are so keen on the idea of having super powers and being part of that specific group of super powered people, because it allows them to play out their super hero fantasies.

How is this situation then supposed to be read without exposing the mutant metaphor as quite ridiculous to apply in such a situation? Before anyone can get outraged over this, they would need to set up a conspiracy wall to pinpoint all the aspects. Which i would assume is too much work.

Compared to that Jean Grey digging into Bobby Drake's mind and outing him as homosexual without his consent (for either the mind reading or exposing), is a much more easier to explain situation.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-07-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    And then there is the different scope in all of this.

The reveal with Icemen involved one of the very original five X-men, very well known even to a casual audience via cartoons and hollywood movies, who had never shown any real signs of not being straight (including when people could read his actual toughts) over 50 years of on pannel continuity, being being suddently retconned into being purely homosexual, in a "memetic" (awkward) drawn and written manner, in what was at the time one of the core books of the X-men franchise and under a writer who's name catches a lot of attention (one can say what one wants about the quality of Bendis writing, but at the time his name brought attention to things he wrote).

What ever one supports what Iceman got retconned into or not, the way it happend just lends itself to controversy and critical reactions in various forms, from all sides of the spectrum and personal views, who caught attention of it because of who and where it happend.

Compared to that, COTA is an allready failed satelite title, involving brand new characters, with next to no real history, who didn't manage to sustain much attention. So it's not like many would pay attention to something happening in it, which COULD be read as a resembling a situation in which someone gets outed against their will.

And then there is the fact that the main characters are allready on various parts of the sexual spectrum, of different ethnicities and highly supportive of the thing the character in question gets exposed as.

So let's recap. An openly homosexual female character of likely mixed non-white ethnicity, gets exposed without her consent, as also qualifying for a fictional group of people, defined by purely fictional super powers, originating from a fictional and unscientific gene, which have often (and at times overly bluntly) been used as stand ins for various real life minorities and their struggles, most notably people of african heritage in the USA and those on the LGBTQ+ spectrum and which she and her friends (a straight black male, an asexual white male, a bi-sexual white woman, a straight(?) asian male) have also pretended to be part of for months because they are so keen on the idea of having super powers and being part of that specific group of super powered people, because it allows them to play out their super hero fantasies.

How is this situation then supposed to be read without exposing the mutant metaphor as quite ridiculous to apply in such a situation? Before anyone can get outraged over this, they would need to set up a conspiracy wall to pinpoint all the aspects. Which i would assume is too much work.

Compared to that Jean Grey digging into Bobby Drake's mind and outing him as homosexual without his consent (for either the mind reading or exposing), is a much more easier to explain situation.
    That's Heavy.