Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It's funny to look back at the pre-release and see many X-men readers being sure these kids had to be chimeras, because the premise given (either fans dressing up as X-men or a new generation of mutants who just happen to have the exact same powers as famous X-men) wasn't particular exciting for them and them being chimeras was the most interesting and involved in Hox/Pox thing they could seemingly think of.
    I think many people came to that conclusion because the first issue was a "Red issue", which is supposed to indicate that it has major implications for the x-line. Clearly that was just a marketing tool to try to get people to buy this book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think many people came to that conclusion because the first issue was a "Red issue", which is supposed to indicate that it has major implications for the x-line. Clearly that was just a marketing tool to try to get people to buy this book.
    That does explain why the guessing for something major was so widespread.

Though we should at least consider the possibility that before the delays, there could have been some major reveal planned to be in the book, but which got removed and used elsewhere. After all COTA was at least considered to tie into Ten at Swords at some point, judging by the early promo image for the event, but with the delay it wasn't even released yet to participate.

However i can't recalll any major reveals or events in other "red issues" which would have looked like it could have happend in COTA #1.

I had forgotten that it was supposed to be a "red" issue! That makes the whole thing even worse!

The series never even tried to address the fact that the powers of some of the A list X men were easily replicated with tech, and in some cases were even better. Jokes on you, Cyclops. I can shoot super accurate beam AND be able to turn it off!

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I had forgotten that it was supposed to be a "red" issue! That makes the whole thing even worse!

The series never even tried to address the fact that the powers of some of the A list X men were easily replicated with tech, and in some cases were even better. Jokes on you, Cyclops. I can shoot super accurate beam AND be able to turn it off!
    But unlike Scott Havok can fk her world up and she can't replicate a "get off my lawn" or smack Dormammu.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Wait Is this book finally getting cancelled?
    Well it doesn't show up in solicits after this issue so...

I wonder if the plot with their other flatscan friend will get resolved or did they do that in #5?

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    If any of the haters in this thread actually read CotA, they’d be singing a different tune. I understand the concept of the book isn’t one many wanted, but that bit aside, it’s a well written book.
    Honestly this title is pretty self-contained so it doesn't harm the other books. I'm probably one of the big Negative Nancys here and I think it's passable; like a 6/10.

People still hung up on the Storm/Carmen thing need to chill.
    "Cable was right!"

I'm pretty sure one of the data pages did a deep dive into the pieces of tech and how they were able to mimic the X-Men's powers.

They definitely need to address the plot with the friend in this last issue.

At the end of the day this book was pretty harmless and I honestly liked the first 2-3 issues, but the combination of the original artist leaving and the realization that this book was very inconsequential kind of killed it for me .

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Replicating mutant powers shouldn't be a problem anyway since it's the MU and things like the Super Adaptoid and the Cosmic Cube exist.

Also Chang was pretty good in the first two issues.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

I didn't see anywhere in the comic where it was even implied their tech was better than the natural powers of the X-men they were cosplaying as, on the contrary, once the tech they used was revealed it became obvious their tech is infact much more limited.

LaserClops used what was basicly a laser projector from a gun, rebuild build into the shape of her visor. Which is not only a whole different power than that of Cyclops (kinetic energy projection), but also depends on the energy source and focusing power of the lenses. Which is obviously far more limited than Scott's powers.

NotCrawler is just using a teleportation device, which are common enough that people like Deadpool could get their hands on it from the black market and small enough to fit into his belt. Also again much more limited compared to how Nightcrawler is essentialy dimension jumping all the time.

WallflowerGuy was using pheromone dispensers, which while admittedly are an effective super power aswell as technology, it's not really close to what psy-powers can do in the Marvel Universe especialy compared to the likes of Emma Frost, Jean or Rachel Grey or the Masterminds.

HoloAngel is using hardlight projectors which could create a levitation effect making him fly. Again not a bad tech or power, but again depending on energy source and artifical generators, compared to mutants who could either produce hardlight constructs with potential greater scope or who's wings are able to heal on their own.
    Though Angel had for a long time suffered from his base power being rather weak compared to many of his fellow original X-men's, which was likely part of why he was given the whole Archangel deal and later things like healing blood.
    However even without the Archangel power he has the clear advantage over Gabe that his body designed for flight, giving him additional endurance and robustness, while Gabe remains merely an atheletic normal human, all the potential damage from crashes or injuries included.

Grenadebit finaly was using what were basicly just card shaped hand grenades. A far cry from Gambit who is capable of charging any object with kinetic energy turning them into bombs, missiles or move them.

(I know it's Cyclop Lass, Daycrawler, Marvelguy, Cherub and Gimick).

Overall it appears their choice of mutants to copy was less based on personal preference and more what they could replicate with their newfound tech.

However where i agree the story went into "Stupid Town - population: The rest of the Marvel Universe." Was that these simple pieces of super tech could fool all these veteran heros into thinking these kids are mutants, rather than normal folks using tech, similar to the dime a dozen villains they have encountered over the years.

Imagine Shocker going around claiming he is a mutant for diplomatic immunity while using his clearly tech based shock gauntlets and everyone falling for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Replicating mutant powers shouldn't be a problem anyway since it's the MU and things like the Super Adaptoid and the Cosmic Cube exist.

Also Chang was pretty good in the first two issues.
    As mentioned above, none of their tech is even that advanced for the marvel universe. Most of it had been copied by purely earth based tech creators, including some doing so in a shed with a bunch of scrap or the workshop of a prison (looking at you again Hermann Schultz!).

Infact some depowered mutants were even doing something similar a few years ago as New Warriors.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-09-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Duplicate post
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I meant more in the sense that they could do similar things with the added bonus of being able to 'turn off', unlike Scott or Warren.

This series was largely inoffensive, despite some weird unfortunate implications. But after that abysmal reveal, it needed to be fantastic to have any kind of impact or staying. It needed to be Ms. Marvel quality, and it was just OK. So throw it on the pile of 'meh' comics.

Astonishing Member

I meant more in the sense that they could do similar things with the added bonus of being able to 'turn off', unlike Scott or Warren.
    It's not like there aren't plenty of mutants allready who have powers equal or greater to those of Scott and Warren who also got the benefit of being able to controll them allright from the moment they manifested or able to hide their physical mutations as part of the deal.

That is after all part of the dice roll, that seems to happen anytime someone's X-gene switches on.

First roll for power type. 1. Means some minor part of your body, 6 means fabric of the universe.
    Second roll for power class. 1 Means it's barely noticable, 6 means you become a living god.
    Third roll for controll. 1. Means you kill yourself with it right as it manifests, 6 means you can controll it like a Bene Gesserit can controll her body.

So the kids aren't overshadowing them with their tech any more than many of their fellow mutants are allready doing or had been doing for ages.

This series was largely inoffensive, despite some weird unfortunate implications. But after that abysmal reveal, it needed to be fantastic to have any kind of impact or staying. It needed to be Ms. Marvel quality, and it was just OK. So throw it on the pile of 'meh' comics.
    As i mentioned before, i think it would have helped the series more if they never tried to play the whole "oh those kids are totaly young mutants, are they not?" thing of and were upfront about what they are and what the story is about.

Though i admit, that alone would have not saved the series.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-10-2021 at 05:46 PM.