Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Yah, Waller was turned into a moustache-twirler for sure. I'm surprised she wasn't filmed tying someone up to an actual train track and laughing manaically, it would have fit right in with her persona in these movies. But I was also disappointed with the Thinker, he was just kind of there and treated the same way with no subtlety at all to him. Polka Dot Man's mom, same way. Just a fat joke.

Ronan in the first GotG movie similarly disappointed me big time. He was made into a literal sledgehammer, basically. The actual comic character is basically a Judge Dredd type but he's pretty complex.

Must just be a Gunn thing. The MCU and DCU both have some complex villains in it, after all. Its not impossible to do that.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 08-24-2021 at 11:38 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

The Polka Dot Man thing wasn't even a fat joke.

Besides, in this modern world I personally don't care much unethical government officials who do what they want and fact little consequences

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah, Waller was turned into a moustache-twirler for sure. I'm surprised she wasn't filmed tying someone up to an actual train track and laughing manaically, it would have fit right in with her persona in these movies. But I was also disappointed with the Thinker, he was just kind of there and treated the same way with no subtlety at all to him. Polka Dot Man's mom, same way. Just a fat joke.

Ronan in the first GotG movie similarly disappointed me big time. He was made into a literal sledgehammer, basically. The actual comic character is basically a Judge Dredd type but he's pretty complex.

Must just be a Gunn thing. The MCU and DCU both have some complex villains in it, after all. Its not impossible to do that.
    Why focus on the cons and not on the stuff those movies excelled at? They were better than another boring Superman or captain Marvel or Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Why focus on the cons and not on the stuff those movies excelled at? They were better than another boring Superman or captain Marvel or Spider-Man
    Who's focusing, I was just responding to another poster. GotG was good, I just didn't like the Ronan portrayal and he's one of my favorite characters.

King Shark was kind of cute. Weasel drowning was funny. The ratcatcher background stuff with her dad was cute and I liked the little waving rat guy. Suicide Squad was better than Superman IV, Superman III, Superman Returns, both Amazing Spider-Man movies, Captain Marvel and Age of Ultron. There ya go, all positive!

BANNED

You know it doesn't make a movie look better to bring up stuff no one else was talking about just to insult it in comparison.

Who's focusing, I was just responding to another poster. GotG was good, I just didn't like the Ronan portrayal and he's one of my favorite characters.

King Shark was kind of cute. Weasel drowning was funny. The ratcatcher background stuff with her dad was cute and I liked the little waving rat guy. Suicide Squad was better than Superman IV, Superman III, Superman Returns, both Amazing Spider-Man movies, Captain Marvel and Age of Ultron. There ya go, all positive!

I liked Captain Marvel, replace CM with Thor: The Dark World and I'm with you!

Sorry for reading you wrong. I usually agree and enjoy your posts. Find out the name of waving rat guy. He and I share a first name

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    You know it doesn't make a movie look better to bring up stuff no one else was talking about just to insult it in comparison.
    Who peed in your cereals? You are right. I could also say TsS was unlike other boring, formulaic, uninspired origin movies the industry churns out and you forget about them 5 minutes after or wish you'd forget them. TsS wasn't perfect but at least it was seemingly done without studio interference and had personality

Sorry for reading you wrong. I usually agree and enjoy your posts. Find out the name of waving rat guy. He and I share a first name
    Sebastian? Nice! I really hope this is not the last we see of him or Ratcatcher 2. Probably an impossible hope.

BANNED

Who peed in your cereals? You are right. I could also say TsS was unlike other boring, formulaic, uninspired origin movies the industry churns out and you forget about them 5 minutes after or wish you'd forget them. TsS wasn't perfect but at least it was seemingly done without studio interference and had personality
    You literally just proved my exact point.

Huge improvement over the first film, but at the same time, I guess Suicide Squad isn't really my thing. If you show me a movie with Mongal and Starro and Ratcatcher (I think I saw him in a Robin comic once), it just makes me want to see other corners of the DC Universe with characters I do like.

And also, maybe it was just after all the bloodshed in the beginning, I was having a hard time accepting the tone of the movie. Weird for Bloodsport and Ratcatcher II to have such a strong bond and to make King Shark sympathetic on top of the carnage. I think I would've liked to see more of a clash between the ideologies of Flagg and Peacemaker before their big face-off at the end.

But again, Gunn was the right choice for director, and this movie had its own look and feel to it.

Gunn sure knows how to have fun with the more ridiculous comic book characters, that's for sure. I wouldn't expect to see a complex villain (especially one with over the top superhero roots) from him.

I think this is the right thread for this idea - I'm starting a rumor that the official subtitle for HBO Max's Peacemaker series is A Beach Full of Dicks. Spread it around please!

Incredible Member

I just watched the movie and didn't like it. A lot of it felt like it was trying too hard, with the animated title cards (Eg. Having the words be made out of fire/smoke in the background of the characters) especially being a case of trying too hard.

I thought the humor/drama involving Bloodsport or Peacemaker were the strongest, as it felt organic to their characters. It helped that their characters developed over the course of the movie.

Ratcatcher did receive some character development, but aside from her, every other character was one-note. Polka Dot Man is essentially just a walking Oedipal complex, King Shark is just a man shark. Harley Quinn is just doing a featured cameo in this movie. It doesn't help that James Gunn keeps on hitting the same button over and over to trigger laughter. The mom bit, the shark-eating bit, etc. is funny the first time, but Gunn keeps reusing the same joke over and over.

To me, this reflects the problem with James Gunn's writing, where his non-focal characters become flat caricatures. GoTG has split writing credits, whereas GoTG2 is credited entirely to Gunn. I didn't have a problem with Ronan, as there were low expectations with Marvel villains.

The Suicide Squad is similar to GoTG2 in that it is an excessive amount of this James Gunn character flattening.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I just watched the movie and didn't like it. A lot of it felt like it was trying too hard, with the animated title cards (Eg. Having the words be made out of fire/smoke in the background of the characters) especially being a case of trying too hard.

I thought the humor/drama involving Bloodsport or Peacemaker were the strongest, as it felt organic to their characters. It helped that their characters developed over the course of the movie.

Ratcatcher did receive some character development, but aside from her, every other character was one-note. Polka Dot Man is essentially just a walking Oedipal complex, King Shark is just a man shark. Harley Quinn is just doing a featured cameo in this movie. It doesn't help that James Gunn keeps on hitting the same button over and over to trigger laughter. The mom bit, the shark-eating bit, etc. is funny the first time, but Gunn keeps reusing the same joke over and over.

To me, this reflects the problem with James Gunn's writing, where his non-focal characters become flat caricatures. GoTG has split writing credits, whereas GoTG2 is credited entirely to Gunn. I didn't have a problem with Ronan, as there were low expectations with Marvel villains.

The Suicide Squad is similar to GoTG2 in that it is an excessive amount of this James Gunn character flattening.
    The first movie felt like a door was closed and nailed shut for DCs coolest team. I will always be happy for what Gunn has done with the franchise.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 10-01-2021 at 01:38 PM.

John Ostrander's Squad and Gail Simone's Secret Six still take the top spot of source material for me!!!
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 10-01-2021 at 01:39 PM.