Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default The Suicide Squad *SPOILERS*

First things first, the movie was good and anyone who likes the Suicide Squad comics or animated films won't be disappointed. Simply put Gunn delivered. Also if you like the HBO Max Doom Patrol show, its pretty similar to that too.

The interesting thing for me is that it felt like he was able to bring out his full directorial and writing style with this film. If I were to compare all his cbm I like this one the most and its because I think his personal style and tastes melded better with the characters and their stories but others may feel differently.

The cast was great in their roles, I can't think of a single person who I didn't like.

The writing was very good. You can tell that Gunn likes these characters and comics because he didn't let a single character get too much screen time imo. Because he gave everyone a decent amount of screen time the movie never felt overcrowded and whenever your favorite character showed up it became a highlight. Some of my favorite scenes were Amanda Waller and her team, he depicted them very well and they were hilarious.

All in all good rewatch able film. Is it the best dc film I've seen? No but its a solid film and I look forward to seeing him make more movies.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 08-06-2021 at 11:32 AM.

For me this was a 10/10 film and easily the best DC film I've I've ever seen. As stated in the OP, I found I liked all the characters. And it did that without forgetting they're all still murderous villains (my favorite part was them killing all the rebels and their reaction to it lol)

After 3 live action appearances, they finally nailed Harley Quinn.

Not Deadshot was a VAST improvement on the previous film. His adaptive weapon was cool af!

Gunn did a great job with giving you the feeling anyone might die (I was worried about Sebastian through the entire climax.)

And that goes to show Gunn's strength as a writer. He can actually make you care about freaking Polka Dot Man or Ratcatcher. Who else can do that??

random thoughts:
    -- I know Gunn loved Ostrander's run (fun cameo too!), but that opening beach bloodbath reminded me of the first issue of the Giffen series.
    -- Capaldi was really good here - I'm surprised the Thinker was as prominent as he was. I wish they had an instance of him using some kind of "super thinking" though rather than just being an evil scientist.
    -- When the rats were attacking Starro, I had some flashbacks to the Doom Patrol S1 finale - that was still weirder though.
    -- Milton seemed like the Peter guy from Deadpool 2's X-Force - he's going to be a breakout star! Come to think of it, maybe the beach bloodbath was kinda like X-Force's first mission there...
    -- It was clever to start with Savant so that we'd think he'd at least survive that first battle.
    -- I know a lot of people are comparing King Shark to Groot, but he came across to me more like The Hulk.
    -- We saw at the end those two were being punished by having to watch over Peacemaker, but what about the woman who actually knocked out Waller? I would hope she was fired at least. Unless Waller threw her in prison...? (or shot her in the head, either way...)

I was surprised that Waller didn't have all of them killed.

Incredible Member

I definitely would want to see Idris, Will, and Margot in the next Suicide Squad film directed by Gunn, he really showed how well he can write these characters and deliver.

Side thought, I feel a bit worse for David Ayer because he isn't a bad director but due to the night and day quality differences of the two films his film is going to be known as the bad one and it wasn't even his own doing and will unlikely get the Zack Snyder chance and show his own cut with the success of Gunn's film.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    It looked like that's how she likes to run things in her group. The scenes with her team felt like I was watching the office, it was always funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    It looked like that's how she likes to run things in her group. The scenes with her team felt like I was watching the office, it was always funny.
    I didn't get that vibe at all.

Ultimate Member

They likely all kept silent, and I doubt she'd have cameras in her own command center

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They likely all kept silent, and I doubt she'd have cameras in her own command center
    You doubt she'd be that paranoid/controlling? Really?

And she knew who was in the room and that they would have all been in on it since the Squad wasn't headsploded when she came to. It's not like she'd need actual proof/confessions. She doesn't exactly believe in due process.

Ultimate Member

I liked it overall, but didn't care for the opening slaughter/reasoning behind it.

Armies, being made up of large groups of people, actually can in two places at once. I figured the team would get slaughtered, but thought team 2 was being sent in to rescue them.

Also, if Waller deliberately sent Flag into the line of fire, why'd she bother to send the team to bail him out?

It also would have been nice if another character from the first team survived (Weasel doesn't count). Boomer complaining could have been hilarious.

But still far better than the first one and still pretty enjoyable

Ultimate Member

You doubt she'd be that paranoid/controlling? Really?

And she knew who was in the room and that they would have all been in on it since the Squad wasn't headsploded when she came to. It's not like she'd need actual proof/confessions. She doesn't exactly believe in due process.
    I don't think Waller would leave that kind of evidence and killing her entire staff would be more trouble than it's worth

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I don't think Waller would leave that kind of evidence and killing her entire staff would be more trouble than it's worth
    Maybe that's the in-story reasoning. I just don't see her letting that kind of insubordination go (think how that could compromise future missions if they disagree with her again) and watching over Peacemaker seems kind of lite.

BANNED

Ii haven't seen the movie, nor have any desire to, but I wonder if this discrepancy is explained by this being a comedy and the story essentially going for the laugh?

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Ii haven't seen the movie, nor have any desire to, but I wonder if this discrepancy is explained by this being a comedy and the story essentially going for the laugh?
    It's not played as a joke, so I don't think that's it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Great Movie! It was a lot of fun.

Polka Dot man not surviving is a travesty. Not only did I end up caring about him he was also quite dangerous for a joke character. He could have gotten so much villain cred had he survived. Gotta pour one out for you buddy :'(

Who would have thought Ratcatcher would end up being the heart of the movie? I thought her naivety would annoy me and make her a liability and thankfully that never happened. I want to see more of her.

I'm in favor of Bloodsport replacing Deadshot in the squad. For the film series at least. Likable and his adaptable weapons made him different enough that I didn't feel like he was a discount Lloyd.

I'm not fond of Starro losing to a swarm of rats. A monster as strong as him losing to rats? C'mon