Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It was a good idea that was in the end done in by not having the correct writers on the books. To do this right you needed guys who really loved the MCU, and that sure isn't guys like Millar and Loeb. Something like this would be perfect for a writer like Mark Waid to head up.
    The rumor I read was that a lot of the pitches they initially got were from guys who loved the old stuff and just retold the old comics in modern times, but management wanted new interpretation of the concepts. Mark ended up with the job cuz he didn't have the same reverence for the Stan, Jack, and Steve material. Heck...his first first script for Ult X-Men had them as some para-military mercenary force. Half of it was drawn before someone said, "The people picking this up will have just seen the X-Men movie and this is just TOO different."
    Last edited by ed2962; 08-08-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think Millar and Bendis probably wanted to copy the success of Watchmen. BTW I must be one of the few that wasn't over the moon impressed with it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think Millar and Bendis probably wanted to copy the success of Watchmen. BTW I must be one of the few that wasn't over the moon impressed with it.
    Ironically, I'd say that I'm more bothered by some of Bendis's 616 stuff than his Ult U material which was about and appropriate for teens. But yeah, at some point Millar was getting more attention for doing sensationalism, than the PG, PG-13 stuff he was doing in Superman Adventures and Fantastic Four, so he just went for exploitation ( not just in Ult U, but in general with his material).

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The rumor I read was that a lot of the pitches they initially got were from guys who loved the old stuff and just retold the old comics in modern times, but management wanted new interpretation of the concepts. Mark ended up with the job cuz he didn't have the same reverence for the Stan, Jack, and Steve material. Heck...his first first script for Ult X-Men had them as some para-military mercenary force. Half of it was drawn before someone said, "The people picking this up will have just seen the X-Men movie and this is just TOO different."
    That's extraordinary and I'd certainly believe elements of that. Ultimate Origins and Ultimatum gave the history of mutants in 1610 as being creations of the government. Weapon X created the mutagen in an attempt to replicate the Super Soldier Formula used on Captain America. The mutagen got out, and infected people across the planet. The quest to replicate the Super Soldier Formula was also used to explain where Ultimate Banner got his powers (same origin they used in the MCU movies), where Ultimate Norman Osborn and Ultimate Peter Parker (the OZ formula).

With how close the Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man worked with SHIELD and Triskelion in the 1610 universe. The idea that the X-Men would be a para-military force, on the speed dial of Nick Fury. I totally buy.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-09-2021 at 10:09 AM.

I enjoyed the Ultimate Universe till it started to go too weird. I liked the slightly grounded feeling it had and enjoyed most of it… I fell out of love with it once Jeph Loeb started working on Ultimate Books. I think I stuck with Ultimate Spider-Man the longest but enjoyed X-Men and The Ultimates I and II.

Astonishing Member

I feel like the MCU was a more accurate and successful version of what the Ultimate Universe was going for. It's essentially a modern reimagining of Marvel's heroes with a 21st century spin on all their classic stories. And some ideas initially borrowed from Ultimate, like Fury recruiting the Avengers or Tony Stark's more playboy-ish personality, were much better executed in the MCU than in the Ultimate Universe.

Also, in slight defense of the Ultimate Universe, part of the reason it feels like a complete failure in hindsight is because all of its good aspects were eventually integrated into 616, such as Miles Morales or Steve Rogers being superhuman and not just peak human. When all of the Ultimate Universe's pros now exist in 616 or in the MCU, and none of the UU's cons do, it feels a lot more superfluous and irredeemable than maybe it initially did. Still, I'm glad the Ultimate Universe existed, because I would argue it was a growing phase period that led to a better 616 and better MCU.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-10-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Everything runs it’s course. It’s comics and peoples interests.

We got Miles and The Maker from it, and they’re both dope as hell so that’s fine with me.
    This. New Universe, 2099 and MC-2 came and went. I'll sure we'll see a new one in the future, and it won't last forever.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    This. New Universe, 2099 and MC-2 came and went. I'll sure we'll see a new one in the future, and it won't last forever.
    Technically, 2099 and MC2 were set in what was (allegedly) the future of 616, but yeah.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    How about you? Is anyone else nostalgic for the Ultimate Universe or have something to say about it, all they years later?
    For what it's worth, I'll always love the 2nd volume from 2009/2010 (before the "Death of Spidey!"):

And, I'm still hoping for the return of...

Ultimate Spider-Woman

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    I enjoyed the Ultimate Universe till it started to go too weird. I liked the slightly grounded feeling it had and enjoyed most of it… I fell out of love with it once Jeph Loeb started working on Ultimate Books. I think I stuck with Ultimate Spider-Man the longest but enjoyed X-Men and The Ultimates I and II.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. In spite of everyone hating it, Ultimates III certainly had its moments (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-12-2021 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I loved reading them but hated what they did with Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum. Since they were just going to run it into the ground I'm glad they just ended it instead.

I have nostalgia for that period but wouldn't want them to bring it back. I think it ran it's course.

Incredible Member

Honestly, if they were to bring back the Ultimate Universe in ANY way, I would love the book to star Nick Fury as the main character and his focus on rebuilding the world after it was “restored” by Reed. Have issues that may focus on Spider-Man, X-Men, the Ultimates or whatever, but let the main focus be on Fury. He was one, if not the major character of the Ultimate Universe that they shoved aside after that horrendous Ultimate Power series and Ultimatium.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

[/center]
    So Cap just changed outfits right there in front of everyone??

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    So Cap just changed outfits right there in front of everyone??
    Correct. At the beginning of the mission, Cap was disguised as the one & only Black Panther (1610)...

...then finished the mission dressed-up as Captain America (1610)!

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-12-2021 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Correct. At the beginning of the mission, Cap was disguised as the one & only Black Panther (1610)...

...then finished the mission dressed-up as Captain America (1610)!

If I am remembering correctly wasn't T'Challa a mute because his throat was cut and eventually killed by some experiments in Secret Origin?

I miss The Ultimates and Ellis writing said characters. Ultimates and Ultimatum were just so badly done. It literally killed the Ultimate Universe. I last saw in the Ultimates that the Ultimates are still around so maybe I can still get Ultimate Tony back.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark