Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 LastLast

Thread: Omega Level

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Same here.
    I never get hung up on the "inconsistencies of canon and character" from one writer to the next as everyone, even the best ones, have either met, surpassed and/or fallen short of my personal expectations (that they're not beholden to, by any means) at one time or another throughout my comic book reading history. I can overlook differing canon from differing eras once I'm engaged in the overall story but to write yourself into a dead-end in your own era/status quo (which HiX-Man has done before, imo) is...disappointing.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Ok, now give Jean back her Omega TK.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Same here.
    I never get hung up on the "inconsistencies of canon and character" from one writer to the next as everyone, even the best ones, have either met, surpassed and/or fallen short of my personal expectations (that they're not beholden to, by any means) at one time or another throughout my comic book reading history. I can overlook differing canon from differing eras once I'm engaged in the overall story but to write yourself into a dead-end in your own era/status quo (which HiX-Man has done before, imo) is...disappointing.
    Hickman’s writing, excluding everyone else’s, is a mixed bag for me. When he gets rolling, things are great. It was just a lot of set up this time and less character moments. I kinda wish he spent more time on characters, even if it were on his favorites. Like I said, when he does start actually writing, he does great. X of Swords is simultaneously a showing of Hickman’s talents and Tini’s faults in my opinion, despite my problem with the idea that Arakko of all things could be interpreted as an insurmountable threat.

It’s as I said, a very mixed bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Ok, now give Jean back her Omega TK.
    I wish Jean would have just been categorized as "Psionic Manipulation"(like 70% of the list gets to have the broadest interpretation of their power by being labeled "X" manipulation)

It would encompass her dual psionic abilities(TP&TK, individually), her ability to telepathically manipulate/absorb/transform psychic energy into telekinetic power(dual-psi SYNERGY), her ability to manifest her psionic abilities in bodies that shouldn't have them (telepathically transferring her telekinesis into Emma's body...also power swap with Betsy...and even if you say the TK was "unlocked", that's still manipulation), Jean seemingly being able to imbue non-psychics with analogs of their physical powers while on the astral plane....and finally her aptitude with wielding and manipulating the Phoenix Force, a fount of mutliversal psionic energy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    I wish Jean would have just been categorized as "Psionic Manipulation"(like 70% of the list gets to have the broadest interpretation of their power by being labeled "X" manipulation)

It would encompass her dual psionic abilities(TP&TK, individually), her ability to telepathically manipulate/absorb/transform psychic energy into telekinetic power(dual-psi SYNERGY), her ability to manifest her psionic abilities in bodies that shouldn't have them (telepathically transferring her telekinesis into Emma's body...also power swap with Betsy...and even if you say the TK was "unlocked", that's still manipulation), Jean seemingly being able to imbue non-psychics with analogs of their physical powers while on the astral plane....and finally her aptitude with wielding and manipulating the Phoenix Force, a fount of mutliversal psionic energy
    But Omega_DCD, this broadens her abilities! His point was to be more limiting. Even made up an insignificant rule just to shortchange her lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    But Omega_DCD, this broadens her abilities! His point was to be more limiting. Even made up an insignificant rule just to shortchange her lol.
    Exactly, he wanted to diminish her, just like he did at every turn when he had the chance to leave his mark on the character. So transparent……try harder Hickman!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Exactly, he wanted to diminish her, just like he did at every turn when he had the chance to leave his mark on the character. So transparent……try harder Hickman!
    She's still an omega level Telepath, and on the council.Not to mention she made the decision to leave the council for the X-men.Aside from a healthy presence in X-men under hickman, she also was in Cable and X-force a considerable amount.She's like second to wolverine and maybe Proffesor/Mags in her presence in the X-line.

Many mutants including Emma got their Omega level status taken away from them.She didn't.

How is this diminishing.......

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    She's still an omega level Telepath, and on the council.Not to mention she made the decision to leave the council for the X-men.Aside from a healthy presence in X-men under hickman, she also was in Cable and X-force a considerable amount.She's like second to wolverine and maybe Proffesor/Mags in her presence in the X-line.

Many mutants including Emma got their Omega level status taken away from them.She didn't.

I’m not talking about the other writers, not talking about duggan, not talking about percy, I’m talking specifically about Hickman……. Emma was never an omega mutant, I don’t care how hard some pressed writers tried to turn her into a blond Jean grey with trashy standards.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

I’m not talking about the other writers, not talking about duggan, not talking about percy, I’m talking specifically about Hickman……. Emma was never an omega mutant, I don’t care how hard some pressed writers tried to turn her into a blond Jean grey with trashy standards.
    That's like saying Hickman did Kwannon wrong, but her fans are happy.It's a multitude of books, and he's writing many things other than Jean.

Says who, her fans felt she is and it's just as canon as Jean's was.A lot of characters omega status was taken by Hickman to establish a standard.Jean was kept, that in in of itself tells us more.

That's like saying Hickman did Kwannon wrong, but her fans are happy.It's a multitude of books, and he's writing many things other than Jean.

Says who, her fans felt she is and it's just as canon as Jean's was.A lot of characters omega status was taken by Hickman to establish a standard.Jean was kept, that in in of itself tells us more.
    By all means feel free to disagree, I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind here but I feel the way I feel and apart from the world setting I haven’t liked a single attempt at characterization performed by Hickman……..my biggest secret? I’m so very glad he is gone, goodbye and good riddance…I’m hardly anticipating the upcoming dumpster fire that Inferno is gonna turn into, now if only Tini would leave excalibur alone as well and follow her mentor on his way out things would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Ugh not this "omega-level" crap again. We were doing so well with clearly defined terminology and Percy had to go and throw **** back into the air again by reintroducing these problematic terms. You can use a plethora of terms or words to convey power level without using the cringeworthy "omega-level" nonsense. No one doubts that Emma is a powerhouse and extremely talented telepath, stick with that please and thanks.
    It can just be labelled as a mistake of Percy wanting to say Emma was powerful and calling her an Omega.

Getting pressed about this or thinking it's a big deal is dumb and useless.

I understand where they're coming from. Without any clear explanation, he had her return to her old codename and second-to-third oldest costume, even though she has dismissed both several times over the years. Furthermore, he took away her Omega Level Telekinesis, which had been reiterated more than twice shortly before his run (Emma was never referred to as an Omega Level telepath in the same way that Jean was referred to as an OL telekinetic), and made other questionable choices for her. Also, moments like these certainly didn't help make fans feel like he was on Jean's side:

In either case, as I have said before, as far as I am concerned, he redeemed himself when he wrote her taking a stance against the QC, dropping out, leading the charge in X of Swords, and, of course, this:

It's a gorgeous moment; a legendary one, actually. She founded the new team. I can't think of a better honor for her. Also, I would be remiss if I left out how beautifully he wrote her in Giant-Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost #1 and in X-Men #21, in which he gave her an amazing feat. He had Jean establish a psi-link between not only all of the mutants on earth, i.e., millions of mutants, but also mutants from the SWORD Station near Mars, which, on average, is approximately 140 million miles from Earth, to announce the new team she founded it.

Last edited by Mercury; 09-30-2021 at 08:08 AM.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

By all means feel free to disagree, I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind here but I feel the way I feel and apart from the world setting I haven’t liked a single attempt at characterization performed by Hickman……..my biggest secret?:o I’m so very glad he is gone, goodbye and good riddance…I’m hardly anticipating the upcoming dumpster fire that Inferno is gonna turn into, now if only Tini would leave excalibur alone as well and follow her mentor on his way out things would be perfect.

BANNED

Making Scarlet Witch and Franklyn Richards so insanely powerful was one of the stupidest Marvel moves in history. I'm glad that they are not mutants.
    There's no plausibility to their world/universe "reality-warping". Franklyn creating an entire universe (Heroes Reborn) is far-fetched and unbelievable, even for a superpowered being like him.
    The Phoenix Force is much more plausible.

BANNED

That's another thing. Hix wanted Franklin Richards, who never should have been a mutant, but JG was overpowered somehow lmao smh