Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    The most impressive part about that is Johnny's ability to turn at a near 90 degree angle while traveling at supersonic speed. In fact, that's damn near impossible for someone whose powers at the time were based on combustion-based propulsion. A herald of Galactus can do it, but a stunt like that on a normal human being like Johnny would have triggered enough g's to cause him bodily harm, if not death. Remember, Johnny doesn't have superhuman durability, accelerated healing, an invisible force field that protects him or anything like that. But ... comics. It worked for Byrne's purposes, so we'll just go with it.
    I agree but it doesmt bother me that much because supersonic flight just means he is moving faster than the speed of sound (770mph). Again, that 90 degree turn was cool as hell.

Mow if he was pushing Mach 4 or 5, I would be even more impressed.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Remember, Johnny doesn't have superhuman durability, accelerated healing, an invisible force field that protects him or anything like that. But ... comics. It worked for Byrne's purposes, so we'll just go with it.
    Possibly hand waved as the cosmic rays altering his body to withstand all that as well.

In the meantime, we have a hard figure for Northstar's speed:

X-Men Reveals Marvel's Fastest Mutant Could DESTROY the World
    In X-Factor, an X-Men speedster just revealed how fast they really are, and how they could shake the world with their awesome power.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Possibly hand waved as the cosmic rays altering his body to withstand all that as well.

In X-Factor, an X-Men speedster just revealed how fast they really are, and how they could shake the world with their awesome power.
    So he stays around the speed of light.

Nice.

Hmm... I finally found a semi-useful ref for how fast Scanner could fly. Story time!

This was immediately after the destruction of the Avalon space station. Scott Summer and several Acolytes crash landed in the Australian desert. They weren't sure exactly where, and the only way to recon was for Scanner to fly sorties. Yeah, Scott can do optic blasts, but the Kleinstocks and Cargill are bricks. Unuscione's powers are energy based, but it's more like energy armor than anything else. Soo... while those five walk in as close to a straight line as they can muster, Scanner flew around trying to find a destination to travel to.

Other than "a few hours" we don't know how long this process of finding the Outback base took. But 400 miles is pretty impressive considering that this is apparently one of several trips. But we don't know how long it took Scanner to fly those 400 miles. :/ The dialog seems to suggest she was spending more time NOT flying and resting with the main group than flying. And well... the repetitive use of her powers took a heavy toll on her. Cargill seems worried that she'd get tired while flying and pass out or worse. Which... um... yeah... how many of these trips did she make? O_o'

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I agree but it doesmt bother me that much because supersonic flight just means he is moving faster than the speed of sound (770mph). Again, that 90 degree turn was cool as hell.

Mow if he was pushing Mach 4 or 5, I would be even more impressed.
    I agree that was a cool feat. And as a huge Byrne fan at the time, I wouldn't even bother to question it. Just saying that even a simple subsonic turn that produces around 4 g's is enough to cause pilots to blackout.

My hope is that one day they'll establish that Johnny really isn't fully a physical, organic being when he flames on, but some type of living cosmic energy masking as a human form. At least with the Original Human Torch we can say that his artificial form gives him some durability or whatever to allow for extremely strenuous feats of flight.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post

Yep, Northstar -- and before all of her changes his sister, Aurora -- were hands down two of the fastest beings on the planet in terms of foot/flight speed. But I haven't read any of their books in years, so for all I know someone has explained away their scientific speed as a trick of magic or something like that and not their real speed at all.

Yep, Northstar -- and before all of her changes his sister, Aurora -- were hands down two of the fastest beings on the planet in terms of foot/flight speed. But I haven't read any of their books in years, so for all I know someone has explained away their scientific speed as a trick of magic or something like that and not their real speed at all.
    I would actually be cool with Johnny as living flames.

I think that was Loki messing with them. Their speed is all mutant ability.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 08-20-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Heh, finally got around to proper number crunching on that thing I posted about Scanner. for the 400 mile trip to be supersonic it'd require her to have covered 400 miles in around 30 minutes or less. Bah.... the fact we don't know how long it took is really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Heh, finally got around to proper number crunching on that thing I posted about Scanner. for the 400 mile trip to be supersonic it'd require her to have covered 400 miles in around 30 minutes or less. Bah.... the fact we don't know how long it took is really annoying.
    I'm going to assume she is as fast an anyone who can astral project. Not a speedster but a fast flyer.
    scanner3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I'm going to assume she is as fast an anyone who can astral project. Not a speedster but a fast flyer.
    scanner3.jpg
    One of Exodus's worst dick moves.

Hmm I wonder how fast your reflexes need to be to dodge that move though? hard to say. Exodus's list of powers is ridiculous.

Hmm it does call her ability "astral self". And in that form she was able to clobber Xavier's astral projection. Hmm, yeah, no idea how fast those move, but it's not usually a power that requires super-human speed to use.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

More speedster shenanigans on who is the fastest in X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #1.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Velocidad of the X-Men's 5 lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael11 View Post
    Velocidad of the X-Men's 5 lights.
    OOOhhh..... yikes.... that guy.,... his actual power is to speed up local time... for himself. However in order to move at twice the speed of a normal person he has to speed up time so that he ages at twice the speed while using his power. Hmm.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Men #527
    he aged by several months while only a day had passed for everybody else
    And
    Gabriel was moving at such a fast rate that he could not even be seen by the naked eye
    That's the only hard data I could find though. Hmm maybe around 90 times normal Human reaction speed?

Timeslip can also speed up time to give herself super faste speed and reflexes. Not sure how fast she is though. She doesn't have limitations like Velocidad with the age thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Timeslip can also speed up time to give herself super faste speed and reflexes. Not sure how fast she is though. She doesn't have limitations like Velocidad with the age thing.
    Was she a mutant? I cant remember.

Only thing I really remember about her was when she outran a bomb.