Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default What Are Your Dream Supermythos Projects?

So we’re in an interesting period where there’s a bunch of Superman projects either out now or in production, but the main guy himself is likely not getting a solo movie that features the traditional take any time soon. It feels like WB doesn’t know what to do and are throwing stuff at the wall to try to figure out what will click with the public. So with that in mind, I want to know what are your guys’ dream Superman media you would like to see, in any format, starring any corner of the DCU? Here’s mine:

Comics
    1. A Superman Black Label book that retells the story of his and Bloodsport’s first meeting. Elba’s turned in a great performance as Bloodsport and DuBois is one of the most popular characters with the audience. So I think they should take advantage of that and give us a BL project that updates Bloodsport and his backstory for the modern day (his draft dodging doesn’t really work anymore) and give him the costume and guns from the movie for his debut since those played a huge role in making him look cool. Give us a new origin (I prefer they keep his brother as his motivation over his daughter) and give us that first fight between him and Supes that sent Supes to the hospital.
    2. A Steel (John Henry Irons) mini - Natasha is on Clark’s Authority team but John hasn’t gotten much to do. With his resurgence as part of S&L they should give him a mini at least.
    3. A President Superman mini - Looks like they’re pushing Calvin to coincide with the Coates movie, so give him a 12 issue mini (preferably written by Brandon Thomas) that gives us either a Hush like walkthrough of his status quo or tells us how he became President.
    4. A Kenan Kong mini for Yang - Look I love Kenan and I’m bummed he’s basically been dropped ever since his ongoing ended, I hope DC lets Yang do something with him again
    5. A Hush type story for Superman - What I mean by this is a guide to the Superman status quo that also functions to introduce all the big characters in his world, the supporting cast, the villains. Hush was an entry way into the Batman ongoing continuity for a lot of people and Superman could use something like that. Not sure how to approach it, I frankly would have it set inbetween Tomasi and Bendis’ runs, but it’s something I’ve always wanted and we haven’t seen since Up, Up, and Away.
    6. A Mark Waid Superman book - This is almost certainly coming but I just wanted to list it here just in case.
    7. A Ram V horror Superman story with him and Parasite - I let him know I would love to see it based on his Swamp Thing book and he liked my tweet so here’s hoping!

Animation
    1. If we get another Superman movie set in the Tomorrowverse I want to see either an adaption of his and Bloodsport’s first encounter or a loose adaption of Exile with Superman ending up fighting on Warworld. I’d have him meet Maxima there as well since I’d like to see her in animation again
    2. A Superman Smashes The Klan movie
    3. A Suicide Squad animated movie that has Bloodsport leading the team (be cool if Livewire was on the team as well in place of Harley)
    4. A Legion of Superheroes spin-off show from Young Justice that stars either Kon or Jon as the main Superfamily rep
    5. A Superman & the Authority animated series, Lee is definitely going to try to get his Wildstorm toys adapted at some point, and I would love to see the Morrison book form a basis for it

Video Games
    1. A Superman video game (obviously) where he isn’t evil. I have some hope that WB Montreal is working on one but we’ll see
    2. Bloodsport as a playable character in the SS game

Live Action
    1. A spin-off Steel show for Wole as John Henry Irons
    2. Maybe a Legion of Superheroes show? I feel like that would be perfect for the CW or HBO Max. They could use either CW Jon or HBO Conner as the Superman stars

Collected Editions
    1. Absolute Editions for Birthright and Secret Identity
    2. Omnibuses for Busiek, Johns, and Bendis Superman/Action Comics runs
    3. Deluxe Edition of Fraction’s Jimmy Olsen mini
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Co-signed on Kenan (really just give Yang a Black Label book and do what he wants), Hush, Mark Waid and everything for the Collected Editions. I'm not as high on Bloodsport as you are but I wouldn't mind him showing up outside of Thompson's Suicide Squad.

Personally, I'd like to see a Daily Planet book. I didn't read Rucka's Lois Lane and am not keeping up with the Action's back ups, but it feels like more could be done with the characters given the cosmic direction of late.
    Pull List:
    - Action Comics
    - Moon Knight

My dream comics project is my years-long idea of revealing that current Superman is literally Earth-Two Superman/Earth-0 is literally the rebooted Earth-Two. Since the Crisis it always had been. The Paradise Dimension Superman and Lois Kent? Fake (Alexander and Prime were real though). Meanwhile Earth-One was hidden away, as almost a shadow of Earth-0. Always there but on another vibrational plane (yay comics jargon that really doesn't mean anything!). The lack of Earth-0's complimentary Earth would be the reason for all the instability throughout the decades. They're multiverse balances on either end of the spectrum, and with the other not there, the balance was off. The New 52 was actually things briefly switching places: the old Earth-One in a rebooted form came forward while Earth-0 became shadowed. The major aim is to peel these two realities apart once and for all and restore the balance.

That's about as far as I've ever gotten in really trying to make it make "comic book sense". Who did it, why they did it, how to pull a Geoff Johns on Infinite Crisis, how to change it back, etc. But that's my dream, to restore the pre-Crisis dual Earth set up this time with Earth-0 and a new Earth-1. Its everything that I'm actually tired of in a general sense. Big event, complicated course of events, retconning stuff, etc. But for this end I'd love it, heh. It will always just be a dream but its one I love to pull out of my brain every now and again and imagine.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-08-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Since we are talking dreams rather than things that might happen:

Superman: Life Story by (Grant) Morrison, Mark (Waid), (Elliot S!) Maggin and (Alan) Moore with art by Jon Bogdanove and Jerry Ordway. Telling the story of Superman from the destruction of Krypton in the late 19th century through 2038 as if real time passed.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

1) My biggest priority right now would be a Smallville animated series. Specifically one that ignores both the comics and COIE.

2) A Superman 78 ongoing.

3) An origin reboot. Preferably one that lifts from Smallville, S&L, and the GA. Namely, one that gives him powers from day one (not necessarily all of them), the Fleischer suit, keeps his parents alive as Superman, and doesn't have a costumed Superboy.

4) A movie reboot. If Batman gets one every couple years, so should Superman.

5) An appearance on Titans. I know that's not likely and it's kind of the black sheep of the TV show family but he does exist in that universe and I would be nice to see him. Batman is already a regular.

6) More Black Label projects.

7) Supergirl on YJ.

8) Another Earth One book
    Last edited by superduperman; 08-08-2021 at 03:44 PM.
    Assassinate Putin!

My biggest pie-in-the-sky dream is a novel saga that covers Clark's entire life on earth. A huge, sprawling mass of narration, like the Wheel of Time or Stormlight Archive.

Clark arrives on earth in the early 20th century, goes public in 38, fights in wars, meets allies and foes, sets off the First Heroic Age, travels time and space, loves, mourns, suffers defeats, betrayals, and ultimate victory, and eventually leaves earth a century later at the story's conclusion.

Start it off as very much a period piece, slowly allow Clark and his friends to make real changes to the world, and by tale's end have the earth be a near utopian sci-fi setting.

If Superman does go public domain in a few years, maybe someone will write it. Someone else must have had similar ideas. I know I'm not doing it, but maybe somebody with the talent to pull it off will dedicate a decade or two to the effort.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    1) My biggest priority right now would be a Smallville animated series. Specifically one that ignores both the comics and COIE.

2) A Superman 78 ongoing.

3) An origin reboot. Preferably one that lifts from Smallville, S&L, and the GA. Namely, one that gives him powers from day one (not necessarily all of them), the Fleischer suit, keeps his parents alive as Superman, and doesn't have a costumed Superboy.

4) A movie reboot. If Batman gets one every couple years, so should Superman.

5) An appearance on Titans. I know that's not likely and it's kind of the black sheep of the TV show family but he does exist in that universe and I would be nice to see him. Batman is already a regular.

6) More Black Label projects.

7) Supergirl on YJ.

8) Another Earth One book
    I know people complain about it all the time, but numbers wise it’s not the black sheep at all. It’s one of the most popular and widely streamed shows last I checked, that’s why it’s a Max show now and not a CW one. I wouldn’t be surprised if Superman or Luthor show up on the show, I thought they casted a Lex but I guess not.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I wanted the Alan Moore reboot in 85-86, art by José Luis Garcia Lopez, Rick Veitch, and,,, hmmm how about Brian Bolland!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I just want good Superman comics. I was a little leery of the new direction that the Superman line was going in, but, so far, I've been enjoying it.

If I had my druthers, I'd love to see an ongoing series set during Superman's first year in Metropolis in 1938 that leaned heavily on the approach Morrison took with his New 52 reboot.

Looks like someone became a big Bloodsport fan recently

Anyway, my own "dreams":

1. Calvin series that really fleshes him out and his world. But I have a big BUT here. I was really disappointed by Secret Files issue that showed their Totality team being identical to ours and there was some recent cover that also had Calvin, Nubia and then everyone else looked like our versions. I loved what Morrison did with Carol Jordan in Green Lantern run. When Guardians and Zamarons get flipped entire concept of GLs (and related corps) changes. If the world has black Superman and black president and the world is no different to ours then might as well ask whats the point of Calvin in the first place then?

2. Solaris being one of the main villains for Jon.

3. If we actually get a Val-Zod HBO show I would like a reboot of New 52 E-2 focused around him. I think that people really want classic JSA to be in main continuity so E-2 could do its own thing. Many of the ideas introduced during its New 52 existence were pretty cool and interesting, but were unfortunately very badly executed by Robinson. Taylor managed to salvage some of it (and introduce Val-Zod), but I think that by that time DC already had made their mind on ending the whole thing.

4. Superman Smashes The Klan getting either animated or live action adaptation.

5. I hadn't thought about it, but after reading first post I really wouldn't mind Superman/Authority animated series.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Jonathan Hickman.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Not really interested in a traditional take An "elseworld" whatever that meand.Really,i want an adaptation/modernization of A Goldenage superman series,live action or animated with quality and budget comparable to the big budget movies.Something closer to old westerns,samurai movies..etc.Action and scifi oriented..romance and drama would be on the back foot.

My Dream would be redemption story for the champion/gladiator for the common folks and the immigrant who became chained by the society, authorities,dogmatic discussions,..etc.It would be based on the sword of two strangers(loosely), goldenage (duh!) and one piece.heck!i would use the crux of superman and authority series...Batman would be the antagonist(let's just say i have something to say about the character).I want a story of no name/superman(Nanashi) that fell from the sky.who hides behind glasses so that people don't recognise the strange the visitor actually is.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-09-2021 at 06:45 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Lol it’s funny, I still don’t know if I consider myself a Bloodsport “fan” so much as my reaction is “hey I loved Elba as DuBois! Other people love Elba Bloodsport too? Well by God let’s not waste this opportunity to get people excited about a Superman Rogue!” There’s a lot of work they need to do to make his comic counterpart cool, but if they start doing some of the stuff I’m asking for, I think they can achieve it.

Incredible Member

My dream supermythos is really of a much smaller story. I know it is radical in the era of bigger explosion movies
    where character development is either confused or ignored.

But I would like to see a Daily Planet movie. With Perry White as editor, lots of reporters fleshing out what it
    means to be a journalist in the modern era. You have a supervillain, but also the sense of what it is like living in
    Metropolis. Clark is there of course, balancing being a superhero with a successful journalistic career.

That would be an interesting movie, at least to me. Of course, it would not have Superman chasing Krypto.
    Nor, Superman turning evil, so everyone on Earth has to scour the planet looking for Kryptonite to save the day.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I know people complain about it all the time, but numbers wise it’s not the black sheep at all. It’s one of the most popular and widely streamed shows last I checked, that’s why it’s a Max show now and not a CW one. I wouldn’t be surprised if Superman or Luthor show up on the show, I thought they casted a Lex but I guess not.
    I think we're more likely to get Luthor more than Superman simply because Superman has his own show now and with Supergirl going off the air, that frees him up to be used elsewhere. And he plays a larger role in the show overall than Superman in that he directly created Conner. Half the villains on the show work for him. I know the show gets a lot of crap for how "grim and gritty" it is and having watched both seasons I know it can be kind of a slog to get through sometimes. But it's off doing it's own thing and doesn't always get the kind of larger press things like the Arrow-verse do.
    Assassinate Putin!