Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Movie Spidermen fight it out

Tobey Mcguire Spiderman vs Andrew Garfield Spiderman vs Tom Holland Spiderman vs Miles Morales (Into the Spiderverse)

It's in New York. Who takes it?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

I believe Garfield might be the fastest since he has that close-range bullet-time feat in the first movie, but Holland's is the strongest by the time of Far From Home and is no slouch himself once he worked out his Spider-Sense.

I want to say Miles, being a cartoon, has sillier durability feats, but being dragged by the metro and taking hits from NYC traffic and streets facefirst isn't really beyond anyone beyond this list, much less Maguire who took pumpkin bombs to the face and leapt from rooftop to street level, ate dust, and walked off a sore back.

So I guess...Holland, runner-up Miles, but I admit I'm probably forgetting some things.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    I believe Garfield might be the fastest since he has that close-range bullet-time feat in the first movie, but Holland's is the strongest by the time of Far From Home and is no slouch himself once he worked out his Spider-Sense.

I want to say Miles, being a cartoon, has sillier durability feats, but being dragged by the metro and taking hits from NYC traffic and streets facefirst isn't really beyond anyone beyond this list, much less Maguire who took pumpkin bombs to the face and leapt from rooftop to street level, ate dust, and walked off a sore back.

So I guess...Holland, runner-up Miles, but I admit I'm probably forgetting some things.
    I would say McGuire stopping the speeding subway is a strength feat on par with anything Holland did. His speed in Spider-Man 1 might be the fastest of any of them as well, when he is aware and moving in a time frame where you can observe individual beats of a fly's wings. I don't recall a definite bullet time feat in ASM. The car thief takes shots at him which he dodges, but nothing particularly explicitly reacting to the bullets after they have been fired.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I don't see Toby's Spider-Man winning this.

I thought Garfield's Spider-Man was the overall most skilled but Holland got ran over by a train and recovered so he won't be easy to take down either.

Don't forget about Tom holland's superior webbing and web tech.

Also, would we consider the iron spidey suit standard equipment? he has it at his disposal, and he actually has more showings in that suit then in the other ones.

That would significantly increase his durability.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Tobey has a great speed feat before he masters his powers where he basically freezes the action around him while he decides what to do about Flash, then, you know, does it. He never specifically bullet times, because nobody ever shoots him with bullets.

Garfield has a high-end aim dodging feat in ASM, plus a bunch of good reaction feats there, then a pretty legit bullet time feat against assault rifle fire in ASM2.

Holland, though, has pretty ridiculous bullet-timing blind against more than a dozen sources at once, once he masters his peter tingle in Far From Home.

Tobey's best strength feats are likely even better than Holland's, and worlds better than Garfield's. He catches the falling tram car, with the incredibly heavy cable, with one hand. He stops the subway car. He catches a large chunk of a pretty massive building. Holland catches the bell tower, stops Cull from slicing Tony, and has a number of other salutatory feats. Garfield simply has nothing on their level for strength.

Holland comes off as the most skilled to me, performing incredibly precise moves with ease. Garfield is close as well, maybe equal. Both seem pretty well ahead of Tobey, but a lot of that could be the effects capabilities of the studios at the time.

I'd give Holland the slight edge over Tobey in durability but it's extremely close. Both are well ahead of Garfield.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Holland, though, has pretty ridiculous bullet-timing blind against more than a dozen sources at once, once he masters his peter tingle in Far From Home.
    We just went through this at length in another thread the other day.

It's not bullet timing.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Just for fun, since it was brought up on the other thread and people inquired when Batman and Captain America have done something similar...

Batman Aimdodging.jpg

So all of the lights on the balcony above Batman (first panel) are the muzzle-flashes of people firing automatic rifles. The reason there are also bullets coming from behind Bruce is that the balcony extends all the way around him, and it's packed with gunmen. So...conservatively speaking...forty shooters. Probably more, but I like to lowball rather than exaggerate.

And he's moving through their gunfire while tossing smoke grenades (note that the smoke isn't all out yet and they're shooting at him while they can still see him) in at least the first two panels. One might argue there's enough smoke in the rest of them, but certainly in the first two panels he's in sight.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Just for fun, since it was brought up on the other thread and people inquired when Batman and Captain America have done something similar...

Batman Aimdodging.jpg

So all of the lights on the balcony above Batman (first panel) are the muzzle-flashes of people firing automatic rifles. The reason there are also bullets coming from behind Bruce is that the balcony extends all the way around him, and it's packed with gunmen. So...conservatively speaking...forty shooters. Probably more, but I like to lowball rather than exaggerate.

And he's moving through their gunfire while tossing smoke grenades (note that the smoke isn't all out yet and they're shooting at him while they can still see him) in at least the first two panels. One might argue there's enough smoke in the rest of them, but certainly in the first two panels he's in sight.
    I mean, I would call that bullet timing. I would disregard it for being a bit of an outlier, but not call it aim dodging.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I mean, I would call that bullet timing. I would disregard it for being a bit of an outlier, but not call it aim dodging.
    Bullet-timing is 'being so fast you can react to a bullet and dodge it after it is fired.' Setting aside the fact that this is not being explicitly shown, and Rumbles is pretty picky about that (and burden of proof is on the claimant), there's another issue.

How is Bruce 'reacting' to bullets fired at his back? Like, dozens of bullets here, from outside his field of vision? He can't see them. He's not 'moving out of the way after they've been fired' because he doesn't know where they are.

He's moving so quickly and with such agility that people can't keep up with his movements (even the people shooting at his back). Which is aim-dodging. Absolutely stellar aim-dodging, but aim-dodging nonetheless.

Edit - he's also leaping and rolling in the second panel, and thus actually CANNOT be seeing any of the bullets since they're coming from above. He's not 'avoiding each shot'. He's avoiding them all by moving fast enough to stay ahead of everyone's targeting.

Further Edit - I mean, most bullet-timers are pretty much doing the same when they're dodging attacks from behind, because they can't SEE the bullets. Exceptions are people who have proven supersenses for this kind of thing (Matt Murdock and his radar sense), people who do insane stuff like 'turn and look at the freaking bullets, oh look, bullets, then dodge' (Shang Chi), and people who have insane comic-booky-martial arts skills surpassing that of Batman who are actually SHOWN being trained to 'sense' bullets coming at them from behind and THEN dodge them (Cassandra Cain).

Sans any of those ways of picking up the incoming rounds (the ones outside of his field of vision), and with no explicit example in the art of him bullet-timing, the feat pretty much stands as some top-end, super-awesome aim-dodging.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-10-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Yeah, to be bullet timing you basically need to fulfill one of the following:

1) Explicitly be reacting to an individual bullet after it has been fired.
    2) Catching it.
    3) Parrying it with a relatively small object. Meaning a sword probably counts, a shield probably doesn't.

Sheer volume of gun fire does not a bullet timer make, or most of the CBPHs would be bullet timers by now. Even comic Spider-Man has less bullet time feats than you'd think, because he's normally using his precog and agility to get out of the way of the line of fire. But he does have SOME, and he has other feats that border on super speed and would require that level of reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

2) Catching it.
    3) Parrying it with a relatively small object. Meaning a sword probably counts, a shield probably doesn't.

Sheer volume of gun fire does not a bullet timer make, or most of the CBPHs would be bullet timers by now. Even comic Spider-Man has less bullet time feats than you'd think, because he's normally using his precog and agility to get out of the way of the line of fire. But he does have SOME, and he has other feats that border on super speed and would require that level of reflexes.
    Absolutely. I mean, if one thinks about it, if a character can bullet-time, they can most certainly move more quickly than people can aim at them. The vast majority of dodging of bullets from actual bullet-timers is likely aim-dodging. Why bother dodging each individual round if you can EASILY move quickly enough to mess up someone's aim completely? Cripes, some of them can do the whole 'invisible movement' thing - try aiming at someone who literally disappears from view before you can pull the trigger.

But they CAN bullet-time, if they need to or, in some cases, for shits and giggles.

And yeah, some of them have supporting feats of speed that are above stuff we see the CBPH group doing.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

2) Catching it.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator