Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I don't mind that they changed some things. I don't want to watch what I already read.

I don't want to watch what I already read, either, but for a different reason. I thought the comic was crap. Vaughan tries really hard to sound "cool" with his mundane dialogue, but fails miserably. I even got annoyed with his writing when I tried out Saga, back when that was a hot title.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Most of what has been changed so far seems to have been changed for the sake of getting in barbs and some uninspired commentary about Trump and the GQP. Politically I don't disagree with the barbs and uninspired commentary, and I get that the intention behind them is to "update" the world of Y for our post-2020 society. But goddamn, it's just awful.

Here I am waiting for Alter to show up and instead the Big Bad they seem to be building up is Marjorie Taylor Greene.

So you found the angry conservative females with AKs in the comic to be inspiring, in comparison? That crap was cheesy and so in-your-face it was laughable.....I really don't see much of a change, in that aspect, with the TV show, except it's more updated and I haven't rolled my eyes (Whereas when I had the misfortune of reading the comic, I rolled my eyes so many times I lost count).

Astonishing Member

The clever humor was one of the reasons I liked the comic the most. So far, this show has almost none or that.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Kind of surprised that the comments here seem to be all negative. I’m really enjoying the show so far. Post apocalyptic stuff is usually my jam, and I’m liking the mood of the show.

Since yesterday, I binge read the comics. Now, to be honest, while I thought the comics were great, I’m liking the way the show is setting up the story more. Making his mom the president and making his existence a secret from the majority of the existing government, as well as the political intrigue, is a huge departure from the comic story and those story elements I’m really enjoying. I also like that the show is touching on the issues trans men are facing in this new, biological male-less world, and that the story is focusing on a collection of characters rather than mostly on Yorick and 355.

I can see I’m the minority here, but I’m looking forward to seeing how the story will end up and what different roads it’ll take to the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The clever humor was one of the reasons I liked the comic the most. So far, this show has almost none or that.
    But the humor wasn't clever at all, it was mundane. If the TV show incorporated the comic's "humor", I would've bailed out after the first episode (I probably wouldn't have even finished).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    But the humor wasn't clever at all, it was mundane. If the TV show incorporated the comic's "humor", I would've bailed out after the first episode (I probably wouldn't have even finished).
    To you it was mundane. Just as to me the show is unnecessarily dour and oppressive. The thing I liked about the comic the most is that it found the humor it found in the undeniably devastating circumstances instead of going for the obvious route that every other post-apocalyptic story takes. I've already tried watching the show and just can't with it. If I would've known the approach it was taking, I never would've even bothered starting it. It's just trite, tbh.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-06-2021 at 02:37 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    To you it was mundane. Just as to me the show is unnecessarily dour and oppressive. The thing I liked about the comic the most is that it found the humor it found in the undeniably devastating circumstances instead of going for the obvious route that every other post-apocalyptic story takes. I've already tried watching the show and just can't with it. If I would've known the approach it was taking, I never would've even bothered starting it. It's just trite, tbh.

That would've been a nice premise if the humor actually succeeded in being at least a slight bit amusing.

As for the show, it's not that great, but it's interesting enough for me to keep watching. The reality is it's essentially The Walking Dead without zombies, but with an androcidic pandemic twist......Which kind of is what the comic was, although the comic tried to throw in some humor (but failed miserably). The comic just wasn't my thing, but that's Vaughan's comic book work, in general. I was reluctant to try the TV show out because the comic left such a bad taste in my mouth when I read it several years ago.

Incredible Member

I was rereading the comics. I forgot how bad they are. Like a cross between a lifetime movie and USA network tv show!

Last edited by gwhh; 10-17-2021 at 07:13 AM.

Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Ultimate Member

That was fast.

Incredible Member

I haven't seen the TV show yet. This is sad, I love the comics.

Incredible Member

Like a lot of comics to TV adaptations, it sounds like this one removed a lot of the humor in place of unnecessary convoluted character stories in order to pad out the running time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    Like a lot of comics to TV adaptations, it sounds like this one removed a lot of the humor in place of unnecessary convoluted character stories in order to pad out the running time.
    It wasn't even that, the show runner just dedicated most of the run time to bitching about the political right in post-2020 America. Which, fair, there's certainly a lot to bitch about, but that's not really supposed to be the point of Y: The Last Man.

Not surprised at all that this dumpster fire has been extinguished.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The sad thing is, this probably poisons the chance of getting a good adaptation.

Maybe not, though. With so many streaming services all hungry for content, it might be possible for a really promising property to get a mulligan. Would really like to see Vaughan and Guerra creatively involved, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    It wasn't even that, the show runner just dedicated most of the run time to bitching about the political right in post-2020 America. Which, fair, there's certainly a lot to bitch about, but that's not really supposed to be the point of Y: The Last Man.

Not surprised at all that this dumpster fire has been extinguished.

lol, the dumpster fire was the original comic. This was just the TV adaptation of said dumpster fire, only without the lame attempts at humor.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Not shocked to see it cancelled given that the show had no buzz.

Years ago there seemed to be a pretty big fan demand for an adaptation of the comics but that seemed to have diminished with every failed attempt. The property was in development hell for years and the buzz died off. Some of the stuff in the comics also didn't age that well.