Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Female action movies from a Males's perspective only

Why do female driven action movies fail? From a Man's POV. What is it about female driven action, superhero or science fiction films that makes you less interested. I have some ideas that could be wrong

Men don't find women believable as action stars
    Men fear the movie will be too much of a chick flick
    Fear of romantic male leads
    Unconscious sexism that the female gender is weaker or bitchier
    Men cannot relate to female character development or women issues
    The female character is never attractive enough to hold interest.

These are just some of my reasons I believe men are lukewarm to female driven movies.

I think it could be as simple as the draw of action movies are often the star power, and there aren't a lot of female actresses which have the same box office draw as their male counter parts.

But Captain Marvel made a billion at the box office despite having a female lead. Marvel movies don't necessarily rely on star so much as the marvel brand name itself, so that potentially circumvents that problem regardless of the gender of the lead. We'll see how Black Widow does. Though in the case of Scarlet Johanson, she's probably a pretty solid box office draw even without the marvel name behind her.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Why do female driven action movies fail? From a Man's POV. What is it about female driven action, superhero or science fiction films that makes you less interested. I have some ideas that could be wrong

Men don't find women believable as action stars
    Men fear the movie will be too much of a chick flick
    Fear of romantic male leads
    Unconscious sexism that the female gender is weaker or bitchier
    Men cannot relate to female character development or women issues
    The female character is never attractive enough to hold interest.

These are just some of my reasons I believe men are lukewarm to female driven movies.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

Simply the ones which fail aren't good movies. In fact there are a lot of successful action franchises (so not only movies) with females in leading roles: Charlie's Angels (except the TV series of 2011 and the last movie), Tomb Rider, Resident Evil, Underworld… and most of the times (if not every time) those franchises have been successful thanks to the male fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

Simply the ones which fail aren't good movies. In fact there are a lot of successful action franchises with females in leading roles: Charlie's Angels (except the TV series of 2011 and the last movie), Tomb Rider, Resident Evil, Underworld…
    I will add the Sigourney Weaver led Alien & Aliens, which were both highly successful.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I think all of those reasons are a factor. The movie "Salt" was successful as far as I know. I forget who it was written for but he turned it down. Angelina Jolie saw it and decided to do it. The studio and writer offered to "rewrite it for a woman" and she said she would rewrite it herself because she knew what "rewrite it for a woman" meant. It meant, "Insert crying scenes where the cold professional spy who assassinates people for a living cries to prove she's "really a woman deep down". Her rewrite mostly was just changing he to she.

So, there was a debate here on CBR where someone insisted it was a bad movie because it was so unrealistic. The argument was that she was doing impossible things and defeating all the men. The response was, yeah, because Arnold Scharzenegger throwing a lead pipe with such force that it goes completely through a guy and into the cement wall behind him is soooo realistic. Chuck Norris and Stephen Seagal defeating a dozen trained opponents is so real. Rambo dodging bullets and shrapnel is the epitome of reality. [You might note from the fact that all of my references are from the '80s or ''90s that I don't tend to watch action movies anymore unless they are superhero movies].

While Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman were very successful, I don't know if people think of them the same as they do of movies where the heroine allegedly is not superhuman.

The question of the box office draw of women is another issue. I just recently looked up who the ten highest paid male movie stars are and the ten highest paid women. I honestly had never before even heard of numbers 8, 9 and 10 on the male list. I have no idea who they are. But they are all paid more than the highest paid on the female list who I most definitely know who they are. The highest paid on the Women's list would not even make number 10 on the male list. This goes to the discrepancy in pay that may or may not reflect box office draw. I suspect Jennifer Lawrence is a bigger draw than three guys I never heard of before. In fact, one of the issues brought up was that there were a couple of female led movies where it turns out that the male co-star who wasn't even as big a name got paid more for the movie. So there may well be a systemic tendency to pay men more.

When it comes to action movies, there is more of a male audience and the reality is also that the people in charge of movies tend to be men. Note the WW movie where you don't have any of the shots or camera angles you might expect but in both B v S and JL, you have scenes where the camera blatantly lingers on her posterior as she walks or slides up her body in a way that doesn't happen with any male character.

I think your last example tells the story. Is she attractive enough to keep male interest?

Do you think we will ever see a woman as old as Harrison Ford playing Lara Croft, who is the female equivalent of Indiana Jones? Angelina Jolie was considered too old to play the character again even though she was younger at the time than Harrison Ford was the first time he played his character.

Edit: I don't necessarily think female led action movies are less successful. It's more a question of why they are successful and who tends to get cast as the lead. It will usually be someone who is much younger than an equivalent male lead and often much better looking.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 08-01-2020 at 07:04 AM.
    Power with Girl is better.

I’ve no real idea why any movie fails tbh.

On topic, I liked all three Charlie’s Angels movies, the Resident Evil movies (for the most part), the first Tomb Raider and the reboot (part 2 w. Jolie not so much), Underworld movies were meh, i liked The Long Kiss Goodnight, Peppermint...basically I like female action movies, really. No bias here.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Outside of the films already mentioned, I liked Lucy and it was a box office success. The original Ghost in the Shell is a highly regarded classic if you want to throw in animation into this

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Outside of the films already mentioned, I liked Lucy and it was a box office success. The original Ghost in the Shell is a highly regarded classic if you want to throw in animation into this
    I liked those also.

Really, female action movies combine two of my favorite things, females and action. What’s not to like!

Do they fail?

Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Alien 1&2, Res Evil, Underworld, Lucy, Old Guard, Le Femme Nikita, most likely Mulan and Black Widow.
    On TV, Alias, Buffy, Supergirl, Star Girl, Bat Woman.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Many male movies are rubbish and they don't fail. 99% of every female movie considered rubbish fails.

I used to have a male friend that hated Flight Plan. Reason- Jodi Foster was unattractive with masculine features.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Actually also the 99% of the "male movies" fail, if they are considered rubbish by the most part of the audience. For example Joker was considered rubbish by the critics, but the audience loved him and it was incredibly successful. At the same way I consider rubbish the entire Fast and Furious saga, but the rest of the world love it and…

Actually Joker got mostly good reviews. 68% on Rotten Tomatoes
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The critics who disliked Joker largely were pushing a political agenda that ultimately blew up in their face.

Atomic Blonde was moderately successful and it was a decent flick to boot.

Without getting into the main topic, I really liked "Atomic Blonde." I heard Netflix might make the sequel I think, and considering the success of "Old Guard," I hope that makes it more likely.

Theron was also awesome in "Fury Road" so between those and the F&F franchise, she's becoming a big name in action.

Ultimate Member

In recent years, they haven't really been failing.