Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bozo Movie in the works.

Used to watch wgns version of bozo for the cartoons like transformers and bugs bunny and the 80s action figures in the grand prize game.

https://www.cbr.com/david-arquette-b...e-clown-verse/

Scream actor David Arquette has acquired the rights to beloved 20th-century children's entertainer Bozo the Clown and has big plans for the character.

Arquette spoke to Chicago's WGN-TV about the sale, which he says was 15 years in the making. Arquette is a longtime Bozo fan, having watched the character on television as a child. Appearing almost giddy in the interview, Arquette said, "Bob Bell's portrayal of Bozo was always my favorite. It just lit my heart up, and I want to bring that kind of joy to the people of the world."

Created in 1946, Bozo the Clown gained national popularity after the rights were transferred to Larry Harmon, whose name became synonymous with the Bozo brand. Bozo became a successful franchise across the US and beyond under Harmon's leadership, with several local television stations airing their own programs starring various versions of the clown. Chicago's Bozo's Circus premiered in 1961 and soon became the most popular children's program in television history during its 40-year run.

Arquette's plans for the character include opening a permanent museum in Chicago full of Bozo memorabilia and building a "family of Bozos," possibly around the world. "At one point there were 200 Bozos throughout America and Mexico and Brazil, so we really want to sort of replicate that," he said. "You have to kind of think of it as Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse." When asked whether he plans to create new Bozo programming like television shows and movies, Arquette responded, "Absolutely." Arquette also said he wants the brand to reflect "the world we have now," with more of an emphasis on diversity.

It's no secret that in recent decades, clowns have become less of a form of children's entertainment and more of a horror staple. Arquette acknowledged the obstacles involved in the undertaking. "There's a lot of rebuilding we need to do for the love of clowns in general," he said. "But we're being really sensitive about it -- there's going to be a lot of charity involved." He also mentioned a "new take" on clowns and the circus as a concept. In that vein, Arquette is bringing a pop-up interactive circus experience to the Empire Stores shopping complex in Brooklyn, New York this November, with plans to bring it to Chicago at a later date.

It's currently unclear whether Arquette himself will don the Bozo suit. However, it's not out of the realm of possibility, since clowning is in the family -- he says his father dressed up as a clown for all his birthday parties growing up.

Last edited by Gaastra; 10-09-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Used to watch wgns version of bozo for the cartoons like transformers and bugs bunny and the 80s action figures in the grand prize game.

https://www.cbr.com/david-arquette-b...e-clown-verse/
    Sorry, when I clicked on this, I thought it was Bozo the Clown. Despite that being an odd choice for a film.

It is bozo the clown he is making a movie on.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Sorry, when I clicked on this, I thought it was Bozo the Clown. Despite that being an odd choice for a film.
    ...it is Bozo...did you not look at the actual article or read the interview in the opening post?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

wild, that a single actor buys this franchise after it was so ubiquitous in its heyday.

Well, best of luck. This kind of programming is, or was, a product of its time, and there's competition from thousands of other things. the monday - friday show were a staple in so many households, especially for anyone who had access to WGN years ago.

I wonder how many copies of shows were kept intact over the decades. Maybe there could be a means of showcasing vintage excerpts on a website or YouTube, etc.

I was born in 87, so just missed out on Bozo I guess. Don't really have any feelings on the character since he wasn't a part of my childhood, but I both wish Arquette well with this and sincerely hope he manages to shift at least some of the public perception on clowns these days. Frankly I feel the horror versions of clowns works only as a sub-factor of clowning, not the whole damn thing. We need normal funny takes on clowns again. Actually, funny clowns might be considered the abnormal take now, since scary clowns seems to be the normal take.

Good luck Bozo.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I was born in 87, so just missed out on Bozo I guess. Don't really have any feelings on the character since he wasn't a part of my childhood, but I both wish Arquette well with this and sincerely hope he manages to shift at least some of the public perception on clowns these days. Frankly I feel the horror versions of clowns works only as a sub-factor of clowning, not the whole damn thing. We need normal funny takes on clowns again. Actually, funny clowns might be considered the abnormal take now, since scary clowns seems to be the normal take.

Good luck Bozo.
    I think it depends where you lived, I was born in '86 and there was still a locally affiliated Bozo program running on one of the local Boston or Providence channels. It wasn't one of the "cool" shows as it showed mostly I think public domain cartoons between live audience "games" with kids but I remember watching it occasionally.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 10-15-2021 at 04:45 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

I kinda hope they make an actual kid's movie and not try to do some dark "ironic" thing for adults.

Good luck Bozo.
    "Classic Coke..." Bozo is like when Svengoolie was still Son Of Svengoolie or the tail end of punk rock.

If you have to second guess it for even a second, you probably missed it.

I watched the WGN version and man was it a lot of fun. I loved the games. I cant remember too many of the cartoons he showed. I just remember the games and the Grand Prize game and seeing how much fun the kids had there I was very jealous. I had no idea that there were tons of Bozos. I though that WGN was the only one.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think it depends where you lived, I was born in '86 and there was still a locally affiliated Bozo program running on one of the local Boston or Providence channels. It wasn't one of the "cool" shows as it showed mostly I think public domain cartoons between live audience "games" with kids but I remember watching it occasionally.
    Maybe, my region is more rural in South Alabama/North Florida, so wouldn't surprise me we didn't get our own Bozo.
    Although I don't remember it, apparently I did use to watch Romper Room I think?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "Classic Coke..." Bozo is like when Svengoolie was still Son Of Svengoolie or the tail end of punk rock.

If you have to second guess it for even a second, you probably missed it.
    Yep - however, I do get to enjoy current Svengoolie.

Maybe, my region is more rural in South Alabama/North Florida, so wouldn't surprise me we didn't get our own Bozo.
    Although I don't remember it, apparently I did use to watch Romper Room I think?

I used to spend part of each year in north Alabama as a kid. As I recall it went(assuming you got up stupid eatly/4am trying to do cereal and cartoons...) -

Farm report/Hee-Haw/Farm report/local news/farm report/"WGN" Bozo.

Yep - however, I do get to enjoy current Svengoolie.
    Sure. I still keep up myself.

That said, I do surely miss the "WFLD..." days. I think I turned five the year that show started. The weird part is having a really vivid memory of that I was really, really psyched about that show getting ready to start airing.

I was born in 87, so just missed out on Bozo I guess.
    Wgn bozo lasted into the mid 90s so he was still around in 87.

Astonishing Member

I was born in '82 and I don't remember there being a Bozo show up here in the Albany, New York area. Though I had heard the name (my dad had grown up with stuff like the Freddy Friehoffer show).

I wish Arquette luck with what will probably be an uphill climb. I mean, even McDonald's doesn't use their clown anymore. The last clown show I remember being on kids' TV was The Big Comfy Couch 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    The last clown show I remember being on kids' TV was The Big Comfy Couch 20 years ago.
    I remember watching that when I was young. Good times.

Recall the actress reprised the role for comedy sketch r.e. that rash of clown muggers years ago.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)