Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Y: The Last man on FX

Finally! Loved this series, it's one of the few runs I didn't want to shed once I began to thin out the collection. After I got back into comics after the 90's crash, it was this series and a couple other non-capes that started it back up.

Yorick's casting looks a little too cable television but that's to be understood. Despite that FX is always solid, looking forward to it.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

OMG! Totally looking forward to this! Can't wait for them to adapt "Girl on Girl"
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Y:_The_La...rl_(Collected)

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-09-2021 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

Finally! Loved this series, it's one of the few runs I didn't want to shed once I began to thin out the collection. After I got back into comics after the 90's crash, it was this series and a couple other non-capes that started it back up.

Yorick's casting looks a little too cable television but that's to be understood. Despite that FX is always solid, looking forward to it.
    Funny enough, I always imagined Yorick looking more like Shia Lebeouf.

Y is probably one of the best series I've ever read. It was peak Vertigo and was one of the titles I used to get my non-comic book reading friends into comics.

I hope and pray they do the series justice.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

This must be why we haven't seen any new "Saga" comics for three years.

I love this series. One of my all time favorites. The casting for Yorick surprised me but fingers crossed he does a good job.

Incredible Member

I liked the comics series. Good ideas, good sub stories, good characters. Except for there was too much whining and feel sorry for us. Instead of trying to rebuild society.

Default Y the last man on FX/Hulu! Review, spoilers...

Did anyone else check this out yet? I watched the first 3 episodes last night and was HOOKED!

I was a little worried as Y the last man is one of my all time favorite comics. I couldn't imagine anyone doing it justice but it was great. They changed enough to make it interesting still to people who read the series. Made updates to the world this is occurring in as it isn't 2002 anymore. Much more of a focus so far on Yoricks mom and all the politics involved in trying to save the country.

Yorick is great. They nailed Beth and Hero too. Looking forward to more.

What did everyone think?

I watched the first two of the three available episodes and I'm fairly disappointed.

Y is in my top 3 comic series, but it seems the only source material that this adaptation adapted was the central premise that something causes every mammal with a Y chromosome except for Yorik and his monkey to die. Everything else from characters to individual scenes are completely different. I get that they had to update the world to 2020-ish and not 2002 and I get that they wanted to "dive deeper" into the characters and make other changes...but so much is different that it was jarring rather than engaging for me. I think it's too early to say if this different "updated" take on the story will make for epic television.

Not-so-minor gripe...I feel like the first two episodes are very rushed. Like, apparently a bunch of angry women storm and burn down the White House? But we don't actually see this. It's told to us before and after the fact. I feel like the show is claustrophobic in its focus on the central characters, to the point that wider world-building scenes or even establishing shots are neglected. That's just my take though.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    I watched the first two of the three available episodes and I'm fairly disappointed.
    I am, too, unfortunately. I've been looking forward to a live-action version since it was optioned for a movie years ago. I get needing to be updated, but the focus is not on Yorick. He seems to be barely in it, and is pretty unlikable when he is. It seems preachy, and I'm tired of that, even when I agree. Reviewers say it really gathers steam through the six episodes they've been allowed to watch for review. I certainly hope so. Easily in my top ten comic reads. It makes me worry about The Great Machine/Ex Machina movie that is in pre-production.

Couple reviews haven't been to kind but FX rarely drops the ball. Missed the premier but I'll catch-up tonight.
    You bet yer ass.

Thanks for combining!

Haven't seen any of the episodes yet, but I think from now on I'll only watch adaptations of books and comics that I haven't read. (Or read and didn't like.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post

Y is in my top 3 comic series, but it seems the only source material that this adaptation adapted was the central premise that something causes every mammal with a Y chromosome except for Yorik and his monkey to die. Everything else from characters to individual scenes are completely different. I get that they had to update the world to 2020-ish and not 2002 and I get that they wanted to "dive deeper" into the characters and make other changes...but so much is different that it was jarring rather than engaging for me. I think it's too early to say if this different "updated" take on the story will make for epic television.

Not-so-minor gripe...I feel like the first two episodes are very rushed. Like, apparently a bunch of angry women storm and burn down the White House? But we don't actually see this. It's told to us before and after the fact. I feel like the show is claustrophobic in its focus on the central characters, to the point that wider world-building scenes or even establishing shots are neglected. That's just my take though.
    I expect when they do something like this it's going to have to be different from the source material. I care more about if it has the same feel. For example, the "Watchmen" movie felt to me like someone getting the look right of a comic but the acting and dialogue (and many decent actors in the cast) felt like someone trying to adapt a story from a language they didn't speak. The HBO show "Watchmen" had almost nothing to do with the original story, but felt much more like the story than the movie (which was supposed to be an attempt at a direct adaptation).

As to this show, it's OK so far. A few of my favorite shows over the last decade came from FX (the Americans, Legion, Fargo) all hooked me pretty much from the get-go and I'd say aside from the death scenes this wasn't spectacular. I will say making 355 a murderer right out of the gate disturbed me. Whatever the reasoning, it makes her "hero" credentials a bit murky. Maybe that's what they were going for in the show, but I always saw her as sort of the main hero of the series so it's disappointing to me.

I'm diggin' it so far. Dude may not totally look the part but he's for sho acts like Yorick. Ha, it was cool to see him 'suit up' in the 2nd episode.

I see it's gonna be way more about 355 than I remember.

It's very 2021 in parts, I think it adds a layer that wouldn't have been there had this been developed years earlier. Gonna work into the stories favor once the problem solving by way of violence really gets going.

The infrastructure breakdowns they keep illuding to along with the wide shots, and the many corpses lol, are fleshing things out cause this supporting cast is kinda bland. I feel they should have focused on more on some principles of the groups he'll meet early on and pushed the event back a couple episodes. The 'gate crowd' isn't really being sold so far.

Not bad so far, just waitin till Yorick hits the road.
    You bet yer ass.

I wonder what would happen if someone ever did just a straight, faithful adaptation of a comic series. The universe would collapse into a supermassive black hole, I guess.