Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I wonder what would happen if someone ever did just a straight, faithful adaptation of a comic series. The universe would collapse into a supermassive black hole, I guess.
    Agreed. Frustrating because Y is a comic that would be so easy to adapt straight, provided you had the budget.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Comics are story boards, more or less, I never understood the difficulty in adapting a comic other than technology limits.

The comic seemed like something you could make in the early 2000s on TV, so not sure why this one whould be hard other than the acting.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I don't mind that they changed some things. I don't want to watch what I already read.

Most of what has been changed so far seems to have been changed for the sake of getting in barbs and some uninspired commentary about Trump and the GQP. Politically I don't disagree with the barbs and uninspired commentary, and I get that the intention behind them is to "update" the world of Y for our post-2020 society. But goddamn, it's just awful.

Here I am waiting for Alter to show up and instead the Big Bad they seem to be building up is Marjorie Taylor Greene.

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I don't mind that they changed some things. I don't want to watch what I already read.
    I'm all for changes and updates that match the tone/spirit in adaptions.

It is just when a comic property whiffs, at least IMHO, all I can think about is, "You have the comic right there, story-boarded and everything."
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I never read the comic (it's on my list) but I was aware of it and the concept was interesting. I decided to try the show, good god I almost turned it off. The first episode muddles at a snail pace with so much useless filler, how could anyone who hasn't read the book stay interested? Does the second episode pick up?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I wonder what would happen if someone ever did just a straight, faithful adaptation of a comic series. The universe would collapse into a supermassive black hole, I guess.
    Sin City...?

BANNED

I have to say, disliking 355 more and more. I know they can't kill her ahead of schedule, but I'll shed no tears when it happens. Yorick's not much of an interesting character in the show either. I'll probably give it a few more episodes, but right now looking like a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I have to say, disliking 355 more and more. I know they can't kill her ahead of schedule, but I'll shed no tears when it happens. Yorick's not much of an interesting character in the show either. I'll probably give it a few more episodes, but right now looking like a disappointment.
    I may have to reread again but I don't recall disliking her. Ever. Maybe distrusting till the "**** Communism" moment.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 09-21-2021 at 01:17 PM.

BANNED

Oh I liked her in the comics. It's the show 355 that has me unable to root for what are supposed to be the main characters/protagonists. Bland Yorick I can take, hard to pull off the lovable doofus/witty guy thing if you're not that (not the actor's fault if he can't, maybe the casting director?). But a nigh-villainous 355 when, again, she was sort of the hero of the comics who made tough decisions but didn't seem to relish or default to them makes this a hard slog so far. Again, 4 episodes. If I'm not into it by 8 I'll do what I did with Preacher after 4 and call it a day. In fairness, Preacher went way the f##k away from what it should have been (IMO).

Anybody here still watching this shite?

Honestly seems like the show runner would much rather make a documentary about the past year in American politics than adapt a really great comic book.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post

Honestly seems like the show runner would much rather make a documentary about the past year in American politics than adapt a really great comic book.
    That's what I was afraid of.

BANNED

I'll be honest, I lost interest a few weeks back. Might check back in after a while, depending on boredom. Maybe better to wait and consume in one go.

I haven't seen ep 6 yet but I'm through 5. A breakdown of this level of society is really not adequately conveyed in the show. On top of that, for the one institution shown to function (function here means dressing the part) and even carry part of the weight of the plot, to be Republican... I can't even 100% really say leadership, is not really hitting on any mark for me. I'd even say this live action Yorick is sorrier than the one from the comic and I don't even care much for this 355. That hand to hand with the other agent was dope though.

Also Ampersand, featured prominently on almost every cover, isn't part of anything. He's kept in the cage so 90% of the time and he kinda ran around free to interact at times in the book. I get the limitations of such a character when transitioning to live action but the undercutting of everything else with this is just another issue with this show.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Well the show runner has made a big fuss about gender identity and such, pretty much using the show to push her own ideals about gender and all of that over everything else...