Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Not shocked to see it cancelled given that the show had no buzz.

Years ago there seemed to be a pretty big fan demand for an adaptation of the comics but that seemed to have diminished with every failed attempt. The property was in development hell for years and the buzz died off. Some of the stuff in the comics also didn't age that well.
    Even if it had just a bit?

It was in something of a tough spot being tucked away on a service that anyone interested in would have to subscribe to in order to give it a fair chance.

It just airing on FX would have given it a shot on a few streaming services along with cable.

As it went? Tough sledding.

Ultimate Member

And I wonder if all of the changes that the showrunners made to the story and such have hurt it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    lol, the dumpster fire was the original comic. This was just the TV adaptation of said dumpster fire, only without the lame attempts at humor.
    We get it, dude, you didn't like the comic because the humor fell flat for you, or whatever. Cool. The rest of us here seem to have a different opinion.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    It wasn't even that, the show runner just dedicated most of the run time to bitching about the political right in post-2020 America. Which, fair, there's certainly a lot to bitch about, but that's not really supposed to be the point of Y: The Last Man.

Not surprised at all that this dumpster fire has been extinguished.
    As someone once said, Republicans buy sneakers too.

Astonishing Member

For me and this is just a guess. I don't really know about the quality of the show. But the premise of one guy left on earth with a bunch of women is just a little odd for most people I think. I was not interested in it. I think it was always going to have a tough time.

Its one thing to be a popular indie comic. Its a totally different thing to be a popular tv show.

DAMN. I will say episodes 6 and 7, or the last two before the one airing today were the best ones, especially 6. They felt most like the comic, the bands of roving women with guns. The gravity of 'The event' should have taken up a couple of episodes, most of mankind's social and institutional constructs of what we lean on would crumble, fast, underneath such an event. That's what the show isn't communicating that the comic did better. There just wouldn't be any FOX News jokes about television appearances. Budget seemed to be low for this series too. Again I'm where is this 'mob' outside of the gate guy, it got no shine and when then did, it was just a couple of tank shots for the girlfriend to sneak past and just happened to have been spotted, recognized and let in by the President/not quite mother in law. Eh, should have always been way more Twilight Zone and way less 'ripped from the headlines' if you were gonna make it work.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    And I wonder if all of the changes that the showrunners made to the story and such have hurt it...
    It did seem to me the focus of the show was more on the world than on Yorick himself. Especially in the first few episodes. I have not watched the whole thing yet, but it definitely stuck out to me in the ones I watched.

Astonishing Member

Good riddance. What a terrible adaptation to a fantastic comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    Like a lot of comics to TV adaptations, it sounds like this one removed a lot of the humor in place of unnecessary convoluted character stories in order to pad out the running time.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I mean, it certainly didn't help (no matter what some may claim).
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-18-2021 at 10:50 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

We get it, dude, you didn't like the comic because the humor fell flat for you, or whatever. Cool. The rest of us here seem to have a different opinion.

We get you, too, dude. You loved the attempted humor in the comic, and you despise the TV show because it didn't infuse said attempts at humor. Also because you feel the show is too political, even though the comic had heavy-handed, in your face political themes.

It wasn't even that, the show runner just dedicated most of the run time to bitching about the political right in post-2020 America. Which, fair, there's certainly a lot to bitch about, but that's not really supposed to be the point of Y: The Last Man.

Not surprised at all that this dumpster fire has been extinguished.
    Y: The Last Season

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    As someone once said, Republicans buy sneakers too.
    Makes 100% business sense not to dismiss 50% of your potential market for...reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    For me and this is just a guess. I don't really know about the quality of the show. But the premise of one guy left on earth with a bunch of women is just a little odd for most people I think. I was not interested in it. I think it was always going to have a tough time.

Its one thing to be a popular indie comic. Its a totally different thing to be a popular tv show.
    Y: The Last Season (Most boring Apocalypse ever)