Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This Jinx person that everyone is going crazy over from Netflix's Arcane show based on League of Legends seems to be Harley lite.

Okay, this isn't really in terms of values or personality, but a while ago I was watching Hannibal.

Hannibal Lecter pretends to be a normal person, but isn't. He uses a public persona which his therapist describes as a carefully maintained "person suit." Despite the obvious major differences between his secret life and public persona, he acts pretty similarly in each, in terms of mannerisms, apparent values, etc. And crucially, Hannibal cannot help himself from making little references to his secret and effectively winking at the camera through dialogue. He says in one episode, for example, "I'm very supportive of bake-offs." Thst line makes no sense if you don't know who Hannibal Lecter really is, so who is it for? Only himself - and of course, the audience.

And in all those ways, he reminds me of George Reeves' Clark Kent.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Prowl from IDW's Transformers comics came off to me as an un-intentional deconstruction of modern day Batman.

Both ultimately pragmatists, project cold public personas, not above using his friends/allies as pawns under the nebulous umbrella of "the greater good" but since Status Quo is God isn't a ironclad in the IDW Transformer continuity like in DC, it meant unlike Batman these all eventually caught up with Prowl and he essentially became a pariah to the Autobots/fugitive.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Hal Jordan

-Garibaldi from Babylon 5

Black Canary

-Kira Nerys from Deep Space Nine

Martian Manhunter

-John Locke from Lost

Zatanna

-Jadzia Dax from Deep Space Nine

Superman

-Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird

Wonder Woman

-Jean Luc Picard from The Next Generation

Carter Hall

-Benjamin Sisko from Deep Space Nine

Oliver Queen
    -Philip Marlow from The Long Goodbye

Aquaman
    -Odo from Deep Space Nine
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-11-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Can you explain how Jean Luc Picard is Wonder Woman?
    It definitely has potential, I just need a clear explanation

The Protagonist from Tenet reminded me of Jace Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Can you explain how Jean Luc Picard is Wonder Woman?
    It definitely has potential, I just need a clear explanation
    I'm trying to work out the distinct personalities of each of rhe members of the Sattelite Era Justice League. It's a difficult task when you take into account how these characters have been handled by dozens of writers who contradict what has been established.

I chose Jean Luc Picard because of his skills for diplomacy as well as his humbleness and professionalism.

Generator Rex reminds me of Conner Kent.

Brendan from Brick reminds me of Tim Drake. Same with Arthur from Inception.

Shutter Island reminded me of Arkham Asylum.

John McClane is to Hans Gruber
    as
    Hal Jordan is to Sinestro
    (and as Carol Ferris is to Holly Generro)

Bradley Cooper from Nightmare Alley felt like he would be a good Nathaniel Dusk or the Question.

He should play Ambrose Bierce.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Ambrose_Bierce_(New_Earth)
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-15-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Retired

Well duh, Harry Potter, Timothy Hunter.

Astonishing Member

L from Death Note feels a LOT like Batman. Well, a younger, mask-less, non-violent version of Batman who prefers to wear and surround himself with white rather than black or grey. But still Batman. Master detective? Check. Strong sense of justice? Check. Consultant to the 'official' police forces? Check. Prepared to take extreme measures to fight crime? Check. Elderly butler who's also a mentor/father-figure? Check.

I particularly got this vibe when I was watching the 2015 TV adaptation and saw L in his secret hideout talking to Watari.

Lisebeth Salander from The Girl in the Spider's Web movie also feels a lot like a vigilante from the DCU - though I don't have a specific character in mind (most likely Batgirl, Batwoman or Black Canary). She's definitely a bit more 'vigilante' than 'hacker', routinely breaks into people's houses to physically restrain and violently interrogate them, is a martial arts expert, and even has a 'suit' with her black motorcycle get-up and a hoodie (with dark makeup) to conceal her identity. All of this is more or less true to her character in the books as well, but this movie really emphasizes these aspects to make her a kind of 'realistic' Scandinavian take on a 'superhero'.

Bruce Willis' David Dunn from the Unbreakable trilogy feels like the Golden Age Superman, which I guess might have been intentional.

When comparing characters from the Big Two. The conversation is usually centered around powers, origins, and physical appearance, but what Marvel characters do you think have similar personalities to DC characters?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 04-10-2022 at 10:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    When comparing characters from the Big Two. The conversation is usually centered around powers, origins, and physical appearance, but what Marvel characters do you think have similar personalities to DC characters?
    Immediate thought, Dick and Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Does this include characters that are purposely meant to be 1-to-1 ripoffs? Like Deadpool and Redtool?
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~