Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Characters From Other Media That Remind You Of DC Characters

After finishing the first season of Better Call Saul I thought the character of Jimmy McGill was similar in personality to Booster Gold. Opportunistic and somewhat greedy, but always trying to do the right thing. (Probably won't be the case for long in later seasons)

What other characters from literature, film, television, games have similarities in traits with DC characters?

Catherine from the Tv show "The Great" is a lot like the Perez version of Wonder Woman. Ted Lasso also has philosophical similarities.

Cruella de Vil and Priscilla Rich / Cheetah are also a perfect pair.

If Hal Jordan was an archaeologist in the 40's he'd be Indiana Jones. They have a similar sense of throwing themselves at danger and persevering until they save the day. (especially in "Raiders" when he says, "I dunno - I'm making this up as I go along.") They're also both trying to live up to their fathers and have an attachment to a particular article of clothing that they always wear.

Joshua Nolan from Syfy's Defiance tv series has always given me Steve Trevor vibes. Mostly in personality and charm.

Back when I used to watch procedurals regularly I thought Thomas Gibson (who played Aaron Hotchner) would make a good Bruce Wayne/Batman, especially Hotch's quiet intensity and control combined . Especially if you want to do a Batman where you lean into his detective side more.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Back when I used to watch procedurals regularly I thought Thomas Gibson (who played Aaron Hotchner) would make a good Bruce Wayne/Batman, especially Hotch's quiet intensity and control combined . Especially if you want to do a Batman where you lean into his detective side more.
    Didn't the actor end up being a dick who alienated his castmates? That's pretty Batman...

Incredible Member

Some time ago I watched the movie "The Ice Princess" (AKA "Ice Princess Lilli" AKA "Tabaluga") and I was amazed at how much Lilli and Tabaluga reminded me of Abby Arcane and Swamp Thing.

Lilli is a beautiful young women whose most distinguishing physical trait is her shining white hair (just like Abby). She was raised by an evil father-figure (just like Abby) but despite that she has a pure and kind heart (just like Abby). She befriends and later falls in love with a green non-human (just like Abby).

In addition to being a green non-human (just like Swamp Thing), Tabaluga struggles with issues relating to his sense of identity and self-worth (just like Swamp Thing). He falls in love with a white-haired young woman (just like Swamp Thing) and those feelings of love allow him to overcome his inner demons and unlock a great power that was always within him (just like Swamp Thing).

Extraordinary Member

I recently rewatched Mobile Suit from 1979. One of the characters , Sleggar Law, really reminded me of Guy Gardner.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 08-09-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) from Once Upon A Time In Hollywood reminded me a bit of Morrison's version of Hal Jordan. And I guess retroactively, a lot of Paul Newman's characters from stuff like Cool Hand Luke or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

The Manson family murderers from the same film also dead ringers in terms of characterization of Harley and Joker.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-11-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Jim Caviezel as John Reese in Person of Interest I think reminded everyone of Batman at times. Michael Emerson as Harold Finch in that show was basically a genderbent Oracle who could walk. Heck, Kevin Chapman's Lionel Fusco was basically Harvey Bullock...

Man, Person of Interest ripped a lot from Batman.

Incredible Member

Marina from "Stingray" has some clear parallels with Dolphin. Both are beautiful young women with the ability to breath in both air and water and both are mute (in Dolphin's case she is incapable of speech whereas Marina can speak but has to remain silent due to a curse placed on her people.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Dolphin was at least partially inspired by Marina.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Jim Caviezel as John Reese in Person of Interest I think reminded everyone of Batman at times. Michael Emerson as Harold Finch in that show was basically a genderbent Oracle who could walk. Heck, Kevin Chapman's Lionel Fusco was basically Harvey Bullock...

Man, Person of Interest ripped a lot from Batman.
    I don't know if I'd say that Finch was Oracle since Finch was much more of a driving force. Did Shaw = Cassandra Cain: Stone-cold killers? Did Carter = Gordon? Maybe Root was more of a chaotic Oracle? Finch was maybe if Ra's al Ghul broke good....? Wasn't there even a Catwoman type of thief who appeared several times? And Samaritan = Brother Eye.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-09-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) from Once Upon A Time In Hollywood reminded me a bit of Morrison's version of Hal Jordan. And I guess retroactively, a lot of Paul Newman's early characters.

The Manson family murderers from the same film also dead ringers in terms of characterization of Harley and Joker.
    That's a good one.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Gonna keep mentioning Sound of Music Captain Von Trapp being rich and handsome but emotionally closed off because of grief and too many children for Bruce.

Neal Caffrey in White Collar for Dick Grayson, specifically Agent 37 Grayson, for being the handsome, intelligent, hyper competent, charming agent... also younger partner to an older, stiffer man and all the subtext that goes with it... The con-man, criminal part doesn't fit, but faking their death does.

Hiro from Big Hero 6 for Tim Drake. Young, nerdy genius hero who lost a loved one, also voiced by Ryan Potter, who wanted to be Tim Drake before getting the role of Beast Boy. (Gonna have to mention his kind big brother Tadashi for Dick as a bonus)

Prince Abdullah from Tintin for Damian. A bratty Arabic royalty getting sent away to live with white rich man Captain Haddock (A very mouthy Bruce lol) and the younger kinder more patient but not above disciplining the brat, Tintin himself (Dick, of course, again)
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-09-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Roger Lococco from "Wiseguy" reminded me of Vic Sage, The Question.(the O'Neil version) They're pretty different, Roger being a black Ops assassin turned private contractor, but they both had similarly violent tendencies in their background, then turned to eastern philosophy as an attempt to find balance and meaning. The actor also would have played a great Vic Sage at the time too.

Charlie Crews, the main character in "Life" reminded me of Vic Sage, The Question.(various incarnations) They're pretty different, Charlie as a cop having spent years in jail for a crime he didn't commit, but he emerged from a place of violence and anger and adopted a zen way of approaching crime solving while secretly unraveling a conspiracy in the police department that sent him to jail. He's seen as odd by other cops, including his partner. He later kills a man with a single blow, which is just bad-ass and something Vic would do if he had to. The actor also would have played a great Vic Sage.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-09-2021 at 11:15 PM.

Not just a character, a whole show:
    DEADWOOD/NEW GODS
    -- Darkseid : Al Swearengen (dark lord and master)
    -- Orion : Seth Bullock (hero with a raging temper)
    -- Lightray: Sol Star (light-hearted best friend of said hero)
    -- Kalibak : Dan Dority (merciless thug for the dark lord)
    -- Desaad : EB Farnum (sniveling suck-up)
    -- Big Barda : Calammity Jane (tough as nails lady)
    -- Metron : Doc Cochran (man of knowledge, but his addiction can make him unreliable)
    -- Mantis : Mr Wu (mostly loyal to the dark lord but has his own kingdom and self-interests)
    -- Granny Goodness : Joanie Stubbs (takes care of her stable of girls)
    -- Scott Free : Wyatt Earp (a parallel to Bullock, violent past but honorable - manages to leave Deadwood behind)