Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Not a hard choice really...if someone gives you the opportunity to play it safe, or go off and create a bunch of new characters at a fledgling comic book company that could be the next Image.....well I would leave to.

I don't think being locked into the Batman world would be that fun...I'd rather have Geoff John's reign to go and explore and write other characters in the DCU.

Seems like a lot of people are jumping ship to join Substack. Zdarsky is the one that hurts me. His work on Daredevil has been great!

I may have to drop my only Marvel title and check Substack out.
    I think Zdarsky said he wasn't going to leave DD, or the Big Two, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I think Zdarsky said he wasn't going to leave DD, or the Big Two, either.
    Good to hear. I wonder why Tynion didn't keep both doors open. Go and create some new characters at substack but keep writing either Batman or the Joker at DC?

Good to hear. I wonder why Tynion didn't keep both doors open. Go and create some new characters at substack but keep writing either Batman or the Joker at DC?
    He sounded tired of how the system worked in DC: too little control of the characters and stories you're working on, and too many changes on the story writers work too fast. I think he meant something like that in the first letter that was excerpted in BC this week.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-14-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Because DC wanted a exclusive contract to write Batman AND Substack offered him a truck loadof money to go exlcusive with them

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm glad Tynion is happy with his successor.

Would that make this the 6th or 7th time :P?
    This is the Groundhog Day of Batman storylines
    Last edited by Writerblog; 08-14-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Spectacular Member

I have a question, somebody have read this newsletter on this retrospective of Batman run ?

If yes, they are interesting read ?

Extraordinary Member

THR: Substack Moves on Hollywood With Top Marvel, DC Writers Targeted
    Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Tynion nabbed around $500,000 for an upfront fee, with, importantly, Substack making no claim to the intellectual property created during that time. Meaning, in addition to a revenue split on a $7-a-month subscription fee, Tynion holds rights to sell IP to studios for future film or TV adaptations. His first comic for Substack, Blue Book, begins later in September.
    One of the Substack co-founders has disputed a different figure in the article so don't know if that 500k number is accurate, but if it is goddamn, good for Tynion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    I have a question, somebody have read this newsletter on this retrospective of Batman run ?

If yes, they are interesting read ?
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/when...-kerry-for-5g/

I thought it was an interesting take for 5g.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

So glad 5g didn't happen. It will be interesting to see if Tynion had some sane nonradical ideas post-Didio that DC editors nixed. But if all his ideas were radical, then I won't blame the DC editors for making it hard on him.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    THR: Substack Moves on Hollywood With Top Marvel, DC Writers Targeted

One of the Substack co-founders has disputed a different figure in the article so don't know if that 500k number is accurate, but if it is goddamn, good for Tynion.
    While I've enjoyed his Batman run , he has created a lot of characters . I think that Tynion did the right thing for himself .
    The new writer will take Batman in a different direction, it's been like that for about 80 years or so.
    Every writer and artist brings different things to the table.
    Batman is DC's main book , it will survive Post Tynion .:-)

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    While I've enjoyed his Batman run , he has created a lot of characters . I think that Tynion did the right thing for himself .
    The new writer will take Batman in a different direction, it's been like that for about 80 years or so.
    I don't think that concept was quite as pronounced for the first +/-30-40 years or so as it has become in maybe the last +/-30-40 years?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    this is always a point of contention
    creative freedom to do what you want is good but then you run the risk of the writer alienating fans for example Tom King and Snyder both given huge swaths of freedom after initially seeing some minor editorial oversight. Eventually sales dipped and for Batman that is especially important because that franchise is literally the only thing keeping DC up right now

At the end of the day these writers don't own the characters, the fans don't own the characters
    There does need to be some type of safeguard otherwise you might get a writer who subscribes to a certain sect within the fandom and thinks frank miller is god or that bruce wayne is what's holding back the batman franchise

Its actually a corporation who owns them. Creator owned work is always going to be more appealing because its your ownership and there's less pressure to live up to anything when you are already doing what you love.

True. In the end if you want "creative freedom" go and produce your own characters and books. If you want to write popular and famous cgaracters like Batman, Superman, Xmenetc then you have to understand you'll never have proper freedom on that.

Not a hard choice really...if someone gives you the opportunity to play it safe, or go off and create a bunch of new characters at a fledgling comic book company that could be the next Image.....well I would leave to.
    And while having creative freedom is great. It shouldbe remembered that about 99% of new characters never become popular though. Its great if an artist/writer has confidence that theirs will buck the trend and be successful but a healthy dose of realism needs to be kept and understand that the chances are very much againts that happening.