Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thompson is Marvel exclusive, so she's ruled out.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    . . . Tom Taylor...well, it wouldn't surprise me, I think he teased a major Bat-related announcement, but seems kind of soon after he just started on Nightwing...
    And he also has Superman: Son of Kal-El, so would it make sense to make him a full-time Batman writer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Guess I'll be the guy saying please no Bendis, no Taylor, no Waid, no Williamson, no Tomasi - DC cracked the door open to new talent with Future State, kick the door open DC.
    Not a good idea to give a "fresh, new talent" the main Batman title.
    Start an unproven Bat-writer on a mini-series or on Detective Comics first and then they can get considered for Batman proper.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Maybe this was why it seemed like he was phoning it in to me? Maybe he was just keeping all his good ideas for his own stuff? If that's the case, then good on him, then!
    Yeah, his creator-owned stuff like Department of Truth is so much better than his Batman work that I’ve long suspected the same thing. There’s the old saying that creators don’t generally do superheroes because they want to, but because they have to, and Tynion’s Batman tenure has that feel to me. But now he has the chance to make a go of it solely based on his own stuff so more power to him.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh is it a hundred issue already?

I don't know what is Bendis speak, I just know he's the type that contradicts the previous interpretation to introduce his own, so I don't want anyone like that.

Taylor would continue the tradition of writers writing Dick first before moving to Batman. I'm kinda half and half on him. He's not as offensive, but also not that hype. It's middling.

Mariko Tamaki seems to be doing a good job in Detective. That book is what I want Batman book to be, a closer focus on Bruce instead of epic stuffs. People will be angry since she wrote the much lambasted I am Starfire, but if she's bad on YA but good on Batman, then don't give her YA, give her Batman.

Tomasi's good but he also feels really selective in utilizing Batman, he's good on Damian but bad with Jason. That kinda thing, and he seems to go for the dark depressed Bruce often when he's not writing the family comedy. So I'm also half and half on him.

So I'm voting Tamaki so far. Super great if it's with Dan Mora too.

Incredible Member

Good for him! I haven't been reading his run since FS but he's a chill dude and his JLD was great. Sad he'll not get a chance to write Diana again.

I agree with Hypo that fresh blood would be nice. It's probably going to be Taylor though (yawn). Williamson seems like the overall DC architect so doubt he'd have time for all that jazz plus Batman so it'll probably be Taylor. I'd appreciate Yang or Ram V though.

Will be interesting to see how this changes the line. It has felt very well coordinated and the sense I got was that Tynion was a big part of making things feel cohesive with the other creative teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    . . . Tomasi's good but he also feels really selective in utilizing Batman, he's good on Damian but bad with Jason. That kinda thing, and he seems to go for the dark depressed Bruce often when he's not writing the family comedy. So I'm also half and half on him. . .
    But Tomasi had already been writing Bat-books off and on for how many years?

Hell, he was the writer of Batman & Robin at the beginning of the New 52.
    Besides, hadn't DC already put him out to pasture around the time DiDio was pink-slipped?

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    . . . Will be interesting to see how this changes the line. It has felt very well coordinated and the sense I got was that Tynion was a big part of making things feel cohesive with the other creative teams.
    It works that way if you're the guy who comes up with the main plan for Batman and everybody else has to follow what you planned.

Good for him.

I'm enjoying Tamaki's run on Detective Comics so I'm cool with her taking over. Ridley can also do it but I see him just sticking with Jace for the forseeable future. Unless they have him do both or just use I AM BATMAN as a relaunch. But that feels unlikely to me.

Ram V is another interesting choice.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Thompson is Marvel exclusive, so she's ruled out.
    Which is why I prefaced it by saying many of them were unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And he also has Superman: Son of Kal-El, so would it make sense to make him a full-time Batman writer?

Not a good idea to give a "fresh, new talent" the main Batman title.
    Start an unproven Bat-writer on a mini-series or on Detective Comics first and then they can get considered for Batman proper.
    New talent doesn't mean they're brand new to comics, just that they haven't worked in the DCU proper - Dan Watters for example has done a few Image books and worked on some of the Sandman stuff among other things and I would consider him part of the wave of new talent that came on board with Future State. No need to have someone like him try out on Detective or whatever first, can always plan on a 6 issue run first and then extend if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Good for him! I haven't been reading his run since FS but he's a chill dude and his JLD was great. Sad he'll not get a chance to write Diana again.

I agree with Hypo that fresh blood would be nice. It's probably going to be Taylor though (yawn). Williamson seems like the overall DC architect so doubt he'd have time for all that jazz plus Batman so it'll probably be Taylor. I'd appreciate Yang or Ram V though.

Will be interesting to see how this changes the line. It has felt very well coordinated and the sense I got was that Tynion was a big part of making things feel cohesive with the other creative teams.
    Should've had Yang on my list.

. . . New talent doesn't mean they're brand new to comics, just that they haven't worked in the DCU proper - Dan Watters for example has done a few Image books and worked on some of the Sandman stuff among other things and I would consider him part of the wave of new talent that came on board with Future State. No need to have someone like him try out on Detective or whatever first, can always plan on a 6 issue run first and then extend if needed...
    But if you give somebody a six-issue "tryout" run on the main Batman title and it doesn't go well, then you're back to having to do damage control on a primary money-maker.
    And then what happens if you tried a second "new" talent following that first guy, also offering him (or her) a six issue tryout run on the main Batman title, and if that second tryout also fairs poorly, you've wasted 12 issues and may have lost how many customers who may not return?

Incredible Member

Do we know if Jorge Jimenez is staying on interiors?

Fantastic Member

Tynion had a tendency to touch several corners of DC I deeply loved, but his stories always came across as dull and uninspired to me. Inoffensive, yes, but never anything beyond that from his books I've read. I've never given his creator-owned work a shot, so perhaps that's where he shines. If that's the case then I suspect this is a good thing all around.

In terms of who I'd like to see next within the realm of possibility...
    - Zdarsky is becoming a fairly high profile writer and has been dipping his toes in what feels like a fair number of Batman-related shorts recently. He has the resume for it, been doing fantastic on DD currently, and is able to bring a unique wit that I think he'd be able to apply without sacrificing tone. Personally, he'd be my preference.
    - Ram V is still relatively up and coming but has proven to be extremely consistent with both his DC and creator-owned work. He deserves a big title like Batman, and I believe he'd handle it well.
    - The Bendis/Maleev DD run is one of my absolute favorites in comics so I'd more than welcome Bendis taking a street level approach here again too. I'm just not sure if that's the direction he'd be interested in taking.
    - I'd be interested in Tom Taylor, though not particularly enthused. I agree with previous comments that it'd be preferred to keep him on Nightwing for now.
    - I saw Jeff Lemire mentioned in the thread, which was interesting to ponder. He has quite a few superb creator-owned titles, with some great great artists (including Lemire himself), and would be a huge grab for DC especially now with the success of the Sweet Tooth tv series. However, I get the impression he has less interest in writing already-licensed characters...his runs tend to be somewhat short and can fall flat compared to his other stuff. I'm not sure I see him as the fit DC are looking for but I'd add his Batman to my pull no questions asked.

Not sure if I'm in the minority here but I'd have to pass on Williamson if that's the direction they took. However, he does seem like somebody they'd turn to for filling the role.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh is it a hundred issue already?

I don't know what is Bendis speak, I just know he's the type that contradicts the previous interpretation to introduce his own, so I don't want anyone like that.

Taylor would continue the tradition of writers writing Dick first before moving to Batman. I'm kinda half and half on him. He's not as offensive, but also not that hype. It's middling.

Mariko Tamaki seems to be doing a good job in Detective. That book is what I want Batman book to be, a closer focus on Bruce instead of epic stuffs. People will be angry since she wrote the much lambasted I am Starfire, but if she's bad on YA but good on Batman, then don't give her YA, give her Batman.

Tomasi's good but he also feels really selective in utilizing Batman, he's good on Damian but bad with Jason. That kinda thing, and he seems to go for the dark depressed Bruce often when he's not writing the family comedy. So I'm also half and half on him.

So I'm voting Tamaki so far. Super great if it's with Dan Mora too.
    Tamaki would definitely be my choice as well, her run on 'tec so far has been solid.

On a side note her book I am not Starfire sold pretty well from what I've heard and was well received by the YA reading population...it's just a small subset of people that are vocally against inclusion that got upset about it and it's not likely they actually read it so it wasn't a huge loss that they didn't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Tamaki would definitely be my choice as well, her run on 'tec so far has been solid.

On a side note her book I am not Starfire sold pretty well from what I've heard and was well received by the YA reading population...it's just a small subset of people that are vocally against inclusion that got upset about it and it's not likely they actually read it so it wasn't a huge loss that they didn't care for it.
    I don't know if it was so much an issue of inclusion so much as people maybe not quite understanding what Tamaki was going for in using Starfire, although I haven't read it myself.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

Tamaki is an accomplished YA writer with quite the following. I always thought DC hiring her was an attempt to get some of her fanbase to follow suit to DC.

Has anyone read this Guardian article? I feel like this might have also been a consideration in Tynion IV leaving:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...movie-made-1bn

Ultimate Member

Guess I'll be the guy saying please no Bendis, no Taylor, no Waid, no Williamson, no Tomasi - DC cracked the door open to new talent with Future State, kick the door open DC.
    The issue is FANS and STORE OWNERS have to be willing to give whoever a legit shot.

There are writers who can do Batman but if they are viewed as unworthy by fans before a single issue comes out-what is the point.

You might as well go get Priest.

Because I suspect it will be someone from the YA field and HELP US ALL if it's Coates.