Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Tynion Not Renewing His DC Exclusive

A Whole New Era
    But in the midst of all of that, I was trying to make one of the most difficult decisions of my professional life. DC had presented me with a three-year renewal of my exclusive contract, with the intent of me working on Batman for the bulk of that time. I was grateful of the offer, but I couldn’t help but look at the success of my original, creator owned titles and wonder if it was the right choice.

And then I received another contract. The best I’ve ever been given in a decade as a professional comic book writer. A grant from Substack to create a new slate of original comic book properties directly on their platform, that my co-creators and I would own completely, with Substack taking none of the intellectual property rights, or even the publishing rights.

Given my bandwidth, I knew I could only pick one of two contracts sitting in front of me.

Which is a lot of preamble to say that I am going to be leaving BATMAN with Issue #117 in November, and THE JOKER with Issue #14 next April, with no immediate plans to write any other superhero comics in the near future

Huge loss for DC considering Tynion has become one of their biggest writers. Hope he can wrap up all his plotlines satisfactorily before he goes. Does this mean Ridley will get Batman after all? Could also see them giving the book to Tom Taylor considering he’s the other golden boy right now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I’ll miss him on DC but I can understand the decision, especially considering how well his boom comics sell, and honestly I wish him luck.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Huge loss for DC considering Tynion has become one of their biggest writers.
    Yea, it leaves a gigantic hole in the short term.

For those who don't know what substack is: https://www.comicsbeat.com/substack-...-nick-spencer/

Spectacular Member

Big shame, big loss for DC and Batman readers. Lot of story to wrap up, guess another writer will have to carry it on rather than be able to relaunch

Wonder what will happen to the Vampires thing he announced for October
    Last edited by MatthewFieldhouse; 08-09-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewFieldhouse View Post
    Big shame, big loss for DC and Batman readers. Lot of story to wrap up, guess another writer will have to carry it on rather than be able to relaunch

Wonder what will happen to the Vampires thing he announced for October
    Either that or a temporary writer before a line wide relaunch.

Edit - Do we know if Joker will be continuing?
    Last edited by Lightning63; 08-09-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewFieldhouse View Post
    . . . Wonder what will happen to the Vampires thing he announced for October
    That could still be a possibility.
    Guess we'll have to wait and see what both sides say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post

Edit - Do we know if Joker will be continuing?
    That said he’d continue on in until issue 14 in April.

As for DC vs Vampires, technically if Tynion left Rosenberg could still write it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    HAHAHA, that's exactly how Tynion got the Batman book in the first place. He was just supposed to fill in until 5G.

I guess my prediction that Ghostmaker would end up in the trash is about to come true. That character was created in such a lazy way that it just becomes offensive. Hope Clownhunter gets some love though. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Miracle Molly.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-09-2021 at 08:52 AM.

I think DC vs. Vampires is already plotted out start to finish, Rosenberg was brought on to handle the dialogue and script. So he’ll just follow Tynion’s outline I expect.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

For some reason, Substack reminds me of ComicSpace.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I honestly thing this is going to be more of a trend going forward. While not in the critical mode some want to claim it is, traditional Super Hero comics have seen better days sales-wise. And with the movies doing to well, having things these creators have made for the comics be taken for the movies, with them getting very little or it due to the whole "work for hire" thing, it may be easier to sway them to more creator-owned work where they have more control over the IPs.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

He better make sure to finish "Nice house on the lake".

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I honestly thing this is going to be more of a trend going forward. While not in the critical mode some want to claim it is, traditional Super Hero comics have seen better days sales-wise. And with the movies doing to well, having things these creators have made for the comics be taken for the movies, with them getting very little or it due to the whole "work for hire" thing, it may be easier to sway them to more creator-owned work where they have more control over the IPs.
    This is already part of a trend, Tynion even outlines it in his newsletter: you do indie work, then the Big 2 where you build up a fanbase, then you leave to focus on your indie work. Tynion has hit that final stage and now he’ll probably never do work for hire superhero books again outside of the occasional BL project.
    Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    He better make sure to finish "Nice house on the lake".
    He will, he signed a contract to do that so he’ll finish it, and he only says he’s done with superheroes. He may still do more BL projects like “Nice House” for DC.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It will but only for the already established big names that have a built in audience - or for the ones that are doing the group approach like Hickman/V/Howard they'll need a big name to server as an anchor - a mid level creator getting this deal is going to struggle to bring in readers, this is basically how Substack works on the newsletter side, big name = big $$$, everyone else not so much.

Also got to wonder what the end game for Substack is here, got to think it's to build their brand so they can eventually launch comics where they own the IP, no? Otherwise I don't really understand it.