Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I've been smiling all day. I'm so glad I don't have to read three more years of this. I know someone worse could come on but for now I'm smiling That there is hope. Tynion isint a bad writer, he's just bad on batman. Department of truth is FANTASTIC. Still glad he's leaving. I'm really hoping Chip gets the book. Won't be mad if Taylor gets it. Will be worried if its Williamson and puke if it's Bendis.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    I need him

Okay I see your points... But I think we don't know much about this character's background & deeper motivations (what's his name btw?) to decide that he's a lazy addition to the Bat-universe. Actually, I really enjoy his interactions with Bruce & Harley, these three together are so much fun!
    well that one of the problems with him they didn't even give him a name after being in so many comics we should have a name by now
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

Quote Originally Posted by hero talk View Post
    well that one of the problems with him they didn't even give him a name after being in so many comics we should have a name by now
    They can always jut call him "Bob".

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    In comics, it's more like hiring a painter or carpenter. Especially with the Big Two.
    Creativity is where the plots, dialogue and cool art come from. They really don't want creators that want to be 'in control' of the universe. That's the Editors' jobs.

Sometimes a writer may be given a bit more control, if their editor feels they can be trusted not to break things or infringe on other titles.
    And sometimes a writer may be given more control, despite their tendencies to break things, because they're currently popular (ie: Byrne and Bendis). Then DC has to spend time repairing what they broke after they leave.

Interestingly, one time they heavily promoted a then-current popular creator coming to them, they put him on a minor main title and let him have his own little corner where he didn't break anything. This would be ideal today, if not for how much more important IPs and royalties are in today's comic industry.

The creator was Kirby. And if he was to come to DC today and create the Fourth World, it would be almost certain that Darkseid, Apokolips, New Genesis, Mister Miracle, Big Barda, Orion, the Forever People, Mother Box, and the Boom Tube would not be seen ever again once he left.

Indeed, most likely Kirby would make the same deal that Claremont had with Sovereign Seven, which would make his characters impossible to be used in the DCU after he left (or even before, considering reprint rights of any appearances outside their title since everything is reprinted these days).

If a writer wants to create their own vision, they're better off doing indie comics and selling them online or at conventions.
    DrivethruComics and Itch are both outlets for pdf comics that can be sold by their creators, also.
    i would say that in that ultra sweet spot of dc in mid 80s to 2000ish there was often a great balance where creatives would do work on ips and their own stuff too. animal man + invisibles, swampthing + v for vendetta, shade + extremist etc etc Was a far more balanced approach where dc was a creative artist driven publisher for a lot of their output.

For a section of their writers there is no need to tell them what to do - tom king could write ace the bat hound and it sell a truckload just because it is him and he has a huge following. But its just never enough... no no you have to do this, change this, use this character. There is a point where it just becomes greed that sabotages writer and pushes them out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I've been smiling all day. I'm so glad I don't have to read three more years of this. I know someone worse could come on but for now I'm smiling That there is hope. Tynion isint a bad writer, he's just bad on batman. Department of truth is FANTASTIC. Still glad he's leaving. I'm really hoping Chip gets the book. Won't be mad if Taylor gets it. Will be worried if its Williamson and puke if it's Bendis.
    Wait, are these the leadingtalent for forging stories at 1DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Wait, are these the leading talent for forging stories at 1DC?
    Well, who else do you think would qualify in terms of people who are currently writing for DC?

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hero talk View Post
    well said! it irks me that we even don't know his name :/

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Bob! actually, it's hinted that his name starts with 'Kh' but who knows...
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 08-10-2021 at 11:25 PM.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I'm highly skeptical that Substack will take off. What's stopping people from copying the pdfs of the comics and posting them for readers to view for free on torrent sites?

Fair point. The pirates already swipe most comics from Comixology, after all.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    not saying they should but he should have a name at this point as it stands he may fade away with out even a first name
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs