Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substack

I might be interested if Substack were a single service I could subscribe to (like the Marvel Unlimited model) and read what I chose, but it looks like the model is if I want to read the Tynion stuff, I need to subscribe to Tynion's newsletter through substack, and then the Snyder newsletter separately if I want to read that, and then the Hickman newsletter, and each creator I might be interested in separately at a separate cost, which can run up quite a tab. I think I will be a trade wait on the material being released this way, some of the stuff announced looks interesting, some not so much, and I would prefer to support each completed work separately than have to support each creator separately and get whatever work they happen to be producing at that time.

I wish them well, and I hope it succeeds. God knows the monthly periodical format is a dinosaur and an anathema to the mass market and some alternative needs to be found, and this is certainly an interesting model, but for me personally, I really only buy into digital when I am buying a library pass, not individual issues or works. If I am buying individual works, I still prefer print, so I will buy those of these that interest me on the back end when they get published as finished works.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I might be interested if Substack were a single service I could subscribe to (like the Marvel Unlimited model) and read what I chose, but it looks like the model is if I want to read the Tynion stuff, I need to subscribe to Tynion's newsletter through substack, and then the Snyder newsletter separately if I want to read that, and then the Hickman newsletter, and each creator I might be interested in separately at a separate cost, which can run up quite a tab.
    I agree but mostly because of the price points for these Substack subscriptions, which are too high, imo. Especially compared to manga sites or Marvel Unlimited as you mentioned. Otherwise, I generally do like to buy things individually instead of bundled (think cable).

Makes perfect sense to me. After the marvel news today i definitely understand the great exodus to substack. I also like the idea that i can follow or subscribe to writers that i feel support diverse content. It is a good idea but at the same time ond must acknowledge and give credit that a resume from the big two will make this move easier than for people who would have to build from the ground up in terms of product etc so that could actually end up pushing the older talent to new levels. it's a very interesting concept. And i do like the idea of being able to follow several different universes and perspectives if it's kept small enough as opposed to one large universe that's all over the place and in many directions.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me. After the marvel news today i definitely understand the great exodus to substack. I also like the idea that i can follow or subscribe to writers that i feel support diverse content. It is a good idea but at the same time ond must acknowledge and give credit that a resume from the big two will make this move easier than for people who would have to build from the ground up in terms of product etc so that could actually end up pushing the older talent to new levels. it's a very interesting concept. And i do like the idea of being able to follow several different universes and perspectives if it's kept small enough as opposed to one large universe that's all over the place and in many directions.
    What Marvel news is this? Please don’t tell me I need to buy an iPad in order to enjoy monthly comics now.

Twitter is a toxic cesspool that I think has done tremendous damage to your society. Having said that, it's a necessary tool for doing business if you're an Indie Comics Creator. The problem is that some sick freaks learned how to weaponize it. As for all the Pros moving to Substack, be prepared to hear them being vilified in the comics media as "Alt Right Yahtzees" or some such nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I don't do apple so they will need to come with a better solution if they are serious. Also there needs to be some sort of desktop equivalent because not everyone wants to use tablets or phones. If there isn't some sort of equal distribution this could also come off looking like favoritism for a particular platform which will hurt the end product. People don't like paying the same for less.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Spit and Syntax View Post
    What Marvel news is this? Please don’t tell me I need to buy an iPad in order to enjoy monthly comics now.
    It was more there upcoming plans for the end of the year into march 2022. It looks a hot mess to me personally but for all i know it could be what the people want. Doubt it though.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

*Remembering ComicSpace*

I wish them luck, though.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Inside new Substack comic projects from Tom King, Brian K. Vaughan, Grant Morrison, and more
    EW can exclusively reveal that even more big-name creators are launching six new comics on Substack this week: An independent publication from Grant Morrison; a joint project from Brian K. Vaughan (Saga) and Niko Henrichon; a solo project by Jen Bartel; a collaboration between Tom King (Batman, Strange Adventures) and Elsa Charretier (November); a new publication from Khary Randolph; and a newsletter from the Mangasplaining podcast. Those aforementioned projects from last year are also adding new features: Two new comics are being added to Hickman's 3 Worlds / 3 Moons project; Tynion is beginning publication of his new graphic novella The Closet; and Jeff Lemire is bringing his Black Hammer superhero universe to Substack.

We spoke with King, Charretier, Vaughan, Henrichon, and Morrison about their new projects and the creative opportunities offered by the new platform. Read their thoughts below.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Ugh, those are some great creators but I really don't like Substack. It's just clunky as hell to navigate and I'd rather pay per comic than a whole subscription.

And, as always, I wish we knew some print details before deciding to sign up.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Ugh, those are some great creators but I really don't like Substack. It's just clunky as hell to navigate and I'd rather pay per comic than a whole subscription.

And, as always, I wish we knew some print details before deciding to sign up.
    I would just assume print version are inevitable but probably on a delay of anywhere from 3-12 months - my understanding is that all these grants give the creators print rights.