Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    You mean this line by Pyro in X-men 2?
    "Actually they discovered that males are the ones who carry the Mutant Gene and pass it on, so, actually it's his fault."

He doesn't specify that it's the Y-chromosome. So it could refer to X-chromosome of the male parent being the one to carry the potential for the X-gene forming or activating, while it's recessive on the female parent.

Keep in mind the following three points to consider.

First. It's Pyro throwing that statement at Iceman's parents, in a scene which is designed to resemble a person "comming out" to their parents, with all the usual clichès of blame being handed around. So it's entirely possible that Pyro just made that fact up to troll Bobby's father into having to deal with being the "weak link" that made his son "wrong".

Second. It's also possible it only refers to how things are in normal humans, while for mutants who's X-gene allready activated the "sex linkage" goes out of the window entirely.

Third. "They" which Pyro is refering to could be anyone from a scientific community to a yellow press "expert" and even if it's the former, they could be wrong.
    just on the most basic level it never made sense to me that if they were going to choose and say which side carries an x-gene that they would say a man when woman literally are the x-chromosome and thats not even accounting for the fact that all human life begins as female before shifting. so it always came off to me as some dude trying to make dudes important.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    just on the most basic level it never made sense to me that if they were going to choose and say which side carries an x-gene that they would say a man when woman literally are the x-chromosome and thats not even accounting for the fact that all human life begins as female before shifting. so it always came off to me as some dude trying to make dudes important.
    And i always felt it was just Pyro messing with Bobby's parents. In particular with the father, to make him feel as uncomfortable as possible, by removing his ability to put the blame for their son being "odd" on his wife (as per the first extra point i threw in).

Unless it was stated anywhere in the comics before the movie or copied in the comics since the movie's release, which i think i missed.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-14-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    So it’s confirmed this whole book was just to self insert Vita Ayala in the marvel universe as Gambits replacement with Carmen.
    Lol what? Carmen isn't taking Gambit's place. They don't even have the same mutant abilities or appear in the same books. She'll most likely be a background character in New Mutants.
    I'll ignore the "self insert" part because it's just dumb and disrespectful.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Lol what? Carmen isn't taking Gambit's place. They don't even have the same mutant abilities or appear in the same books. She'll most likely be a background character in New Mutants.
    I'll ignore the "self insert" part because it's just dumb and disrespectful.
    This was an introduction they are willing to change anything later on. She’s 100% a self insert and while not fully replacing it’s clear they are moving Gambit into a legacy role. If he ends up getting his tv series it’s going to be a black widow type thing where he is used as a pass the mantle type character

This was an introduction they are willing to change anything later on. She’s 100% a self insert and while not fully replacing it’s clear they are moving Gambit into a legacy role. If he ends up getting his tv series it’s going to be a black widow type thing where he is used as a pass the mantle type character
    How did you come to that conclusion based on this issue?

Edit: I mean in regards to Gambit being replaced or becoming a legacy character.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Gambit didn’t even show up in this book unlike many of the other X-Men who inspired the CotA. The only reason Gambit isn’t getting that much use right now is because of Tini, but he’s still showing up every month. Also what, Vita can’t introduce an Afro-Latino character? That’s kind of messed up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Gambit didn’t even show up in this book unlike many of the other X-Men who inspired the CotA. The only reason Gambit isn’t getting that much use right now is because of Tini, but he’s still showing up every month. Also what, Vita can’t introduce an Afro-Latino character? That’s kind of messed up.
    I just had a Mandela Effect where i thought he was among the X-men playing pool in the first issue, but he didn't. Storm and Wolverine were there, but neither he or Angel.

Which reminds me, it's somewhat unusual how none of the kids were trying to immitate him, despite him being technicaly the easiest to do (at least weapon wise) and the one most fans might go for. They could have used the hard light projector that seemingly creates Gabe's wings for blades and force fields.
    Benny even uses an online nickname based on Wolverine's identity as Weapon X (is that even supposed to be public knowledge) and would have the physical build to at least pass immitation, yet he went with the phreromone dispenser and immitating Jean Grey instead.

Then again they could have had a Reservoir dogs kind of situation about how everyone would want to be "Mister Black" and decided against anyone being Wolverine.

Interesting enough Angel didn't appear in the book either and apparently he isn't in danger of getting replaced by a character with entirely unrelated powers?

As for Carmen being a "self insert", i can see where people are comming from with that assumption to some degree and wouldn't be suprised if she later goes around wanting to be refered to with gender neutra words (using the shape shifting as excuse), but i really can't see her being designed to replace Gambit. AT ALL.

Funny enough this issue also seems to feature an actual self insert of Vita at the Gala.

Mighty Member

I guess the best way to explain it is Miles Morales (who by the way I really like) how he started off in a alt universe Spider-Man but you see him slowly but faster approaching to being the potential main Spider-Man in pop culture as younger audiences are starting to praise Miles over Peter.

My issue was not about the character introduced. My issue is this idea of “variants”. I want characters to be special. To be one of a kind. But Marvel is trying to transition to new characters but with the legacy titles. I don’t like ideas like clones or variants or alternate versions unless it’s for a specific event or short time. I want every character to be their own thing. I want the next generation to be their own mutants. That’s literally it. It’s no bigger than just letting characters stay unique and don’t use name recognition as a short cut to getting people to pay attention to new characters.

I guess the best way to explain it is Miles Morales (who by the way I really like) how he started off in a alt universe Spider-Man but you see him slowly but faster approaching to being the potential main Spider-Man in pop culture as younger audiences are starting to praise Miles over Peter.

My issue was not about the character introduced. My issue is this idea of “variants”. I want characters to be special. To be one of a kind. But Marvel is trying to transition to new characters but with the legacy titles. I don’t like ideas like clones or variants or alternate versions unless it’s for a specific event or short time. I want every character to be their own thing. I want the next generation to be their own mutants. That’s literally it. It’s no bigger than just letting characters stay unique and don’t use name recognition as a short cut to getting people to pay attention to new characters.
    If you’re best way to “explain” your jumps in logic is Miles than I don’t know what to tell you. Peter would not have gotten his own MCU trilogy if Miles was anywhere near replacing him. And so what if some fans like him more? Some people like Dick as Batman better than Bruce and that hasn’t hurt anybody. All this for a character who is probably gonna show up as background in a side X-book.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 08-16-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Carmen is cool, but she definitely isn't anywhere near Miles level yet. Miles received a TON of pushback when he debuted, both from comic fans and even places like Fox News. He's put in the years and was able to ride the success of the Ultimate Universe which Carmen doesn't have that luxury. I think Gambit is safe for now. I may not be in the right circle's but I don't really hear Miles fans putting down Peter, they just like Miles. Personally I like both (I owe my comic love to the Ultimate Universe, specifically the Ultimate X-Men) but I don't want or need one to fail to like the other. Same with Logan/Laura, let there be multiple Wolverine's for all I care, as long as I can enjoy stories with my favorite characters I'm good.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Carmen is cool, but she definitely isn't anywhere near Miles level yet. Miles received a TON of pushback when he debuted, both from comic fans and even places like Fox News. He's put in the years and was able to ride the success of the Ultimate Universe which Carmen doesn't have that luxury. I think Gambit is safe for now. I may not be in the right circle's but I don't really hear Miles fans putting down Peter, they just like Miles. Personally I like both (I owe my comic love to the Ultimate Universe, specifically the Ultimate X-Men) but I don't want or need one to fail to like the other. Same with Logan/Laura, let there be multiple Wolverine's for all I care, as long as I can enjoy stories with my favorite characters I'm good.

I think it’s just a sports thing for me. You retire the jersey if the player was that good. You leave the place for them. You don’t give the Jersey to anyone else. You only do that if the original isn’t very popular
    If you’re best way to “explain” your jumps in logic is Miles than I don’t know what to tell you. Peter would not have gotten his own MCU trilogy if Miles was anywhere near replacing him. And so what if some fans like him more? Some people like Dick as Batman better than Bruce and that hasn’t hurt anybody. All this for a character who is probably gonna show up as background in a side X-book.
    I mean Peters trilogy is almost finished. So Miles could be coming who knows. I was simply using it as a parallel. I genuinely am not a big enough Spider-Man fan to care which one is Spider-Man. Either one could do a good job in my eyes

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Of course Carmen is not on Miles' level yet. She has only appeared in 6 issues and exist about 6 months for us. Miles has been here for years.

But she is a very interesting character and with a good developed back story.

I do hope she sticks around and perhaps Gabe as well, as villain.

The others were nice for this mini, but no need for them to stay around.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Extraordinary Member

I like the concept of the team and enjoyed the series for the most part, but none of these characters are cool or even interesting on their own. The appeal (to me) is the group and their relationships and how they react to this super powered world full of mutants.

Take Carmen off the team, throw her in the New Mutants book, and what does she bring that any random background kid can't be used for. Is Krakoa in desperate needs of someone to make them costumes real quick? Any of the team could have ended up a mutant and it would have the same impact.

And not to be too negative, but did I miss what her power is exactly? As in, did we see her use it other than I guess whatever happened to her in her bathroom?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by EldonMaguan View Post
    Carmen’s stepdad says that her being a natural genetic X-gene mutant is because of her bio-father, and she’s a metamorph, who could that be? Apocalypse?!
    ....Mystique.

Astonishing Member

I've been thinking about these kids future (doesn't look good as i previously noted).

If Marvel would give me the chance to writer an X-title (mini or ill fated ongoing), but under the condition of having to use one of these kids in it, i would propably pick Benny.

He is not as fanatic as Buddy when it comes to mutant fandom, he is not as hyper active as Jay, not as "ideal" as Gabe, has some good flaws, his gear is so uninteresting that one could easily upgrade him with all kinds of other equipment or super powers and he doesn't have a typical super hero physique (more the stout strength type).
    So i see a few good bits to work with.

Though i guess the downside would be that he would be just another white guy, with his only unique trait being asexual.