Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Tim Drake bisexual

First off let me open by saying Y: The Last Man is one of my favorite series featuring many gay characters. I loved the character of Dr. Mann and her relationship to Yorrick and Rose. Likewise Ex Machina by BKV established that Mitchell Hundred's bodyguard was gay was a surprise reveal. I also know gay people in real life. So, I have no problems reading about gay characters or with gay people in general. Now that that is out of the way....I never wondered when reading Tim Drake was gay bi or straight or even cared. He was the first Robin that I grew up with and I have enjoyed his character. He was established as straight to me. He had that relationship early on with that Russian girl (forgot her name) and a long relationship with Spoiler. So, now all of a sudden he's bi with nothing leading up to it? What when he was trying to get Dick to be Robin back in the day, it was because he had a crush on him? Come on. DC bringing a gay character into the fold is fine. But twisting an established character as bi just because? There was no buildup. Insulting and lazy.

This should be in the Batman forum

Incredible Member

It has been what you might expect when the announcement was released yesterday.

Fantastic Member

no lead up was sad and no real romance ether also to do this after getting back together with spoiler is not fair to there many fans
    I think they should have had at least a break up issue I think I could do a better gay tim story then they gave us
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    It has been what you might expect when the announcement was released yesterday.
    just like the Green Lantern is gay, (Alan Scott) announcement/conversion. Hey wait, why does Tim get to be considered bi, I guess because of the Spoiler/Stephanie relationship but Alan (real universe not that nu 52 version) is considered gay despite decades oh history with Molly and other female characters?
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 08-11-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Tim has yet to say if he identifies as gay or bi/Pan.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    just like the Green Lantern is gay, (Alan Scott) announcement/conversion. Hey wait, why does Tim get to be considered bi, I guess because of the Spoiler/Stephanie relationship but Alan (real universe not that nu 52 version) is considered gay despite decades oh history with Molly and other female characters?
    Homosexuality was punishable by law in Alan Scott's times, so his history with women is easy to explain away.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Homosexuality was punishable by law in Alan Scott's times, so his history with women is easy to explain away.
    even if thats true that didn't me he had to date kiss or marry people

Incredible Member

Alan was always a little tight lipped, so you could see how he was in the closet.

Incredible Member

He didn't come out and he's exploring his identity. Labels need not apply. Also, him going on a date with a boy doesn't invalidate his previous relationships with girls. Why do you think that's the case?

The kid is 16/17 in universe, which is a normal time for anyone to explore their feelings, identity and sexuality.

You still have those 100+ issues of his Robin series to read if you want to see Tim with a girl. And let's not pretend the relationship between him and Stephanie has always been healthy, and usually he's the one that treats her poorly.

What's the issue here?

No lead up. Feels forced and like a gimmick which of course is rather offensive. D.c. Being fake woke...ugh...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Tim has yet to say if he identifies as gay or bi/Pan.
    well if he's going out with a guy I don't think he has to identifie as anything it speaks for itself and also if they went to all the trouble to do this I don't think he is going to say
    I only like women not that I would mind that I don't think they should have made him gay

Incredible Member

I don't really care what Tim's sexuality looks like. Love whomever you want.

But comic book fans since at least the 1930s debate relationships quite a lot. Is Superman going to end up with Lana Lang or Lois Lane?
    Why doesn't Bruce Wayne propose to Vicki Vale? Is Selina Kyle Bruce's soulmate? Which is better for Dick Grayson: Barbara Gordon or
    Kori?

It doesn't strike me as odd that we have Gay, Bisexual relationships being shown in the comics now. It would be strange if that didn't take place.

The fact that this struck many people as just suddenly being dropped out of nowhere has rubbed some of the fandom the wrong way. The sense
    is that if Tim was going to change his sexuality, then it should take place gradually. Of course, the problem with that, is that sometimes
    love doesn't work that way. Love can develop slowly, gradually, but it can also just take place in one moment of electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by hero talk View Post
    well if he's going out with a guy I don't think he has to identifie as anything it speaks for itself and also if they went to all the trouble to do this I don't think he is going to say
    I only like women not that I would mind that I don't think they should have made him gay
    I’m sure he won’t be straight after this.
    It’s just uncertain yet if he is gay or bi. I’m not at all doubting that he’s queer.

Incredible Member

What kind of lead up would you have wanted?

Again, he's exploring. He hasn't even had the date that the issue mentions at the end. Did you even read it?

Can you explain what you mean by "they went to all the trouble to do this"?

He's not "gay" yet. Bisexuality, pansexuality, and demisexuality exists.

Okay, you don't think so but some don't mind. Clearly the people at DC. If this is the thing that makes you reevaluate your appreciation for a character, you should probably think about why.

And for future reference, starting a conversation or complaint (because that's what this is) with "I like gay characters! In other things!" is kind of like saying "I'm not racist, I have black friends!". It's suspect.