Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I don't really care what Tim's sexuality looks like. Love whomever you want.

But comic book fans since at least the 1930s debate relationships quite a lot. Is Superman going to end up with Lana Lang or Lois Lane?
    Why doesn't Bruce Wayne propose to Vicki Vale? Is Selina Kyle Bruce's soulmate? Which is better for Dick Grayson: Barbara Gordon or
    Kori?

It doesn't strike me as odd that we have Gay, Bisexual relationships being shown in the comics now. It would be strange if that didn't take place.

The fact that this struck many people as just suddenly being dropped out of nowhere has rubbed some of the fandom the wrong way. The sense
    is that if Tim was going to change his sexuality, then it should take place gradually. Of course, the problem with that, is that sometimes
    love doesn't work that way. Love can develop slowly, gradually, but it can also just take place in one moment of electricity.
    Like, nobody can explain HOW they would have handled it differently. Just that not like this. Okay, then, so what would a "natural" or not forced way of addressing him exploring his identity and sexuality look like? Crickets.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Like, nobody can explain HOW they would have handled it differently. Just that not like this. Okay, then, so what would a "natural" or not forced way of addressing him exploring his identity and sexuality look like? Crickets.
    The only thing I would have done is shown how Tim was feeling before and what led to the breakup with Steph, but that can be solved in flashbacks as he open up to more people.

I understand the writer's choice however it is hard to show a character going through an issue within themself when the character don't even at understand it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    The only thing I would have done is shown how Tim was feeling before and what led to the breakup with Steph, but that can be solved in flashbacks as he open up to more people.

I understand the writer's choice however it is hard to show a character going through an issue within themself when the character don't even at understand it.
    In my admittedly anecdotal experience, most boys who come out while dating a girl/after breaking up don't announce their queerness. Some do, and sometimes they can still be friends with their ex gf, but often they break up and just never mention it. Then the girl will see on facebook or something that he's dating a dude now.

So Tim just breaking it off and not explaining to Steph seem incredibly realistic to me. He doesn't even know if he is gay/bi/pan whatever. Some guys try dating guys and figure out they're not queer.

And let's not forget this is comic books. The medium isn't known for it's subtly. There is a reason they were called "funny books".

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

What kind of lead up would you have wanted?

Again, he's exploring. He hasn't even had the date that the issue mentions at the end. Did you even read it?

Can you explain what you mean by "they went to all the trouble to do this"?

He's not "gay" yet. Bisexuality, pansexuality, and demisexuality exists.

Okay, you don't think so but some don't mind. Clearly the people at DC. If this is the thing that makes you reevaluate your appreciation for a character, you should probably think about why.

And for future reference, starting a conversation or complaint (because that's what this is) with "I like gay characters! In other things!" is kind of like saying "I'm not racist, I have black friends!". It's suspect.

Or a Marvel/MCU example...

"i don't mind if a character's gender or race is changed in the MCU! i'm a completely open-minded, accepting person! if the MCU version manages to reflect the core charcteristics & values of the comics version then it's fine dude!" and this attitude lasts until their favorite character is 'race/genderbent' -_-
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Or a Marvel/MCU example...

"i don't mind if a character's gender or race is changed in the MCU! i'm a completely open-minded, accepting person! if the MCU version manages to reflect the core charcteristics & values of the comics version then it's fine dude!" and this attitude lasts until their favorite character is 'race/genderbent' -_-
    It's telling that the expectation is for BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ and people with disabilities to enjoy and empathize with/find aspects of themselves reflected in white straight characters but that same group of people find it impossible to do it the other way around. Tim isn't all of a sudden a completely different character. His origin is still the same and he has all the experiences he did before. He's still highly intelligent, a skilled detective, and a good fighter. He's still been part of YJ and TT. But this one aspect of his character is enough to completely nullify everything else about him, despite the common complaint from this group of people about creating a character whose entire identity is not subsumed or defined by their sexuality.

It reeks of respectability politics. You gotta do it this way, with this character, the way that's least offensive to people. Be queer but I never want to see it or have it mentioned but feel free to do it hidden and behind closed doors. So corny.

When you preface your argument with "Look, I don't have a problem with _____" before anyone even implies that you do, yeah, you have a problem with it.

I also don't get the complaint of "there was no build up to this." Build up in what? He has no solo book. Young Justice was cancelled. In what book would this build up happen?
    Last edited by Noodle; 08-11-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I don't like the change but I don't get the "no build up" either.

E2 Alan had a boyfriend already, so did Bunker. Crush was implied to have a crush on someone but we didn't know who (I thought it was Emiko).
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    When you preface your argument with "Look, I don't have a problem with _____" before anyone even implies that you do, yeah, you have a problem with it.

I also don't get the complaint of "there was no build up to this." Build up in what? He has no solo book. Young Justice was cancelled. In what book would this build up happen?
    Well, it's important to preface that because that opens the door to "oh you don't like that this character is gay? well, you must be a homophobe". Which is stupid to assume that.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

It's telling that the expectation is for BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ and people with disabilities to enjoy and empathize with/find aspects of themselves reflected in white straight characters but that same group of people find it impossible to do it the other way around. Tim isn't all of a sudden a completely different character. His origin is still the same and he has all the experiences he did before. He's still highly intelligent, a skilled detective, and a good fighter. He's still been part of YJ and TT. But this one aspect of his character is enough to completely nullify everything else about him, despite the common complaint from this group of people about creating a character whose entire identity is not subsumed or defined by their sexuality.

It reeks of respectability politics. You gotta do it this way, with this character, the way that's least offensive to people. Be queer but I never want to see it or have it mentioned but feel free to do it hidden and behind closed doors. So corny.
    A few weeks ago one of my colleagues told me exactly this...

Yeah, i don't see why we cannot relate to characters having different background from ours... It's just the matter of empathy & respect as you say.

and Tim's queerness needs a build-up... yeah it needs it but how? DC is cancelling books & cutting back its line of titles... when Tim Drake had the opportunity to explore his queerness? actually his self-discovery has just begun...
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Mighty Member

In my admittedly anecdotal experience, most boys who come out while dating a girl/after breaking up don't announce their queerness. Some do, and sometimes they can still be friends with their ex gf, but often they break up and just never mention it. Then the girl will see on facebook or something that he's dating a dude now.

So Tim just breaking it off and not explaining to Steph seem incredibly realistic to me. He doesn't even know if he is gay/bi/pan whatever. Some guys try dating guys and figure out they're not queer.

And let's not forget this is comic books. The medium isn't known for it's subtly. There is a reason they were called "funny books".
    I agree and I've seen people have similar experiences and I actually find those parts of the story is very realistic.

I didn't mean that I wanted Tim to announce is sexuality to Steph because it is clear at this point he's not sure what his issues were when he decided to break up with her.

Comics is a "show" medium and where this story falls short it is focus on the "tell". It is understandable that for some fans would find the breakup between Steph and Tim, so that he can explore his sexuality somewhat forced (for lack of a better word )when the last time they saw them they seem to be happy, so from a story telling point there is a gap.

That said, I don't have a problem with them going in this direction with Tim.

Fantastic Member

I agree with OP. This is bullshit already

Between this and what James Tynion posted on substack about what’s going on at DC they will never receive a dime from
    me again.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Well, it's important to preface that because that opens the door to "oh you don't like that this character is gay? well, you must be a homophobe". Which is stupid to assume that.
    By saying it right off the back you're already opening yourself up to it.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Fantastic Member

What kind of lead up would you have wanted?

Again, he's exploring. He hasn't even had the date that the issue mentions at the end. Did you even read it?

Can you explain what you mean by "they went to all the trouble to do this"?

He's not "gay" yet. Bisexuality, pansexuality, and demisexuality exists.

Okay, you don't think so but some don't mind. Clearly the people at DC. If this is the thing that makes you reevaluate your appreciation for a character, you should probably think about why.

And for future reference, starting a conversation or complaint (because that's what this is) with "I like gay characters! In other things!" is kind of like saying "I'm not racist, I have black friends!". It's suspect.
    I think you meant me when you said what do you mean by all the trouble to do this
    what I meant was they wouldn't have told the story if they were not going to use it they aren't just going to have him go out with a guy then go nope not for me
    also what I meant by no lead in was they didn't have them slowly come to realize there was something more then friendship in the first part of the story they had tim thinking oh my he just looks so ... so ...
    when they could have done it slowly like at first they really are just hanging at as friends then they would go on adventures at least ten as well as just hanging out then tim would say something like I forgot how much fun it is being with you and then then there hands accidentally touch tim blushes and timidly pulls away slowly Bernard takes up more and more of his thoughts and he doesn't feel bad about his break up anymore then he would go up to Bernard and say I think I have feeling for you please would you go out with me
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

Extraordinary Member

It's too late at this point to salvage Tim as a character. DC spent the 2000s and 2010s systematically removing or destroying everything that made him unique and interesting. If it wasn't for his status as Stephanie Brown's main love interest I'd say just erase him because he adds nothing and has no value as a character anymore. This reveal doesn't make him suddenly interesting again, make his personality any less boring, or undo any of the damage they've done to him over the decades.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I don't like the change but I don't get the "no build up" either.

E2 Alan had a boyfriend already, so did Bunker. Crush was implied to have a crush on someone but we didn't know who (I thought it was Emiko).
    op is talking about tim drake not alan scott
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs