Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I imagine anyone who watched the West/Ward show back in the 60s as it aired would hear the news that Robin isn't straight and just react with "...yes, and?"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    As long as we are talking about bisexuality, one thing that people tend to overlook is that many bi people are not "out." That's is to say there may be people you know that you think are straight or gay but are bi. People usually get labeled as gay or straight, as if those are the only options.

If you're not comfortable being out as a bi individual, you might: repress that side, keep it on the DL, find love/companionship in a heteronormative relationship, etc.

It stands to reason there are more bisexual people in this world than some of us have been lead to believe. Similar to people who love or find themselves attracted to trans individuals. I'm sure there is some overlap there, but you don't hear people being open about this. A great number of people are more accepting these days and are vocal allies. However, I don't think as a global society we're close to being accepting, yet.
    Can I love someone based off a post? Because, if so, I'm in love with you Jabare!

As an addendum to your brilliant post - bierasure is very real and I hope that, if bisexual is the route they decide for Tim, that writers and DC are wary not to fall into this trap. Sexuality and love are so much more complex than the tiny little boxes and binaries people rely on to simplify everything.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    As long as we are talking about bisexuality, one thing that people tend to overlook is that many bi people are not "out." That's is to say there may be people you know that you think are straight or gay but are bi. People usually get labeled as gay or straight, as if those are the only options.

If you're not comfortable being out as a bi individual, you might: repress that side, keep it on the DL, find love/companionship in a heteronormative relationship, etc.

It stands to reason there are more bisexual people in this world than some of us have been lead to believe. Similar to people who love or find themselves attracted to trans individuals. I'm sure there is some overlap there, but you don't hear people being open about this. A great number of people are more accepting these days and are vocal allies. However, I don't think as a global society we're close to being accepting, yet.
    Another thing that people need to take note of is that being bisexual doesn't mean a 50/50 attraction to men and women, it is a spectrum so someone like Tim can have a stronger attraction to the opposite sex, and therefore it may take them a while to figure out that that the may not be straight.

While I agree that DC should use their existing LGBT characters and even create new I think that sometimes these stories can have more of an impact when a character that the audience is more familiar with is used.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Some people aren't happy on Twitter either which suprises me because it's basically the most Pro-LGBTQ+ social media site. Here's an example:
    Attachment 112447
    Note that disagreement and criticism are always more loud in social media. It's even pretty louder in any public space for talking, actually. Not that I think this time is the case, I don't honestly know, because I don't know enough people within my close friends who read superhero comics. But usually it's what happens, I think. And, of course, there's always people who are not going to like a certain choice, in everything.

Mighty Member

Some people aren't happy on Twitter either which suprises me because it's basically the most Pro-LGBTQ+ social media site. Here's an example:
    Attachment 112447
    I can also go on Twitter and find several if not more posts praising the decision and saying how much it means to them, why didn't you chose to also show those?

No one person on Twitter or on this forum can speak for their community as within all communities people will have different opinions.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    A lot of people on Twitter are not who they say they are. The second post is especially suspect, based on my prior experience a lot of these accounts that use the term 'disingenuous pandering' and 'us Black Americans' aren't actually black.
    ...because "they talk white" I'd kinda hoped that would die out since we live in the future, but I'd be curious to know how you find out they're faking someday. I notice it's regional more than ethinic... the homies from Ghana, Nigeria, and Texas agree more than the ones from Texas, Cali, and New York on the big social issues but everybody's gonna stand where they stand.

On Tim...
    So Dc pulled this stunt. Turn a current tier 3 or 4 characters sexuality and get a buzz. The people caring about narrative progress will rage. The ones focused on progressive stacking will cheer.

Disgusting thing is... Tim wasn't even a topic on the main board until this. They couldn't make a story centered around him and or his Team that got him in the main DC page. So they manipulate people who they think are weak minded into conflict.

If you stop reading him because of it.
    If you start reading him becuse of it.
    You're the same people. Narrowly ocused on the wrong thing.

Straight midnighter wouldn't make me tune out. The man with the quantum brain is a compelling story.

If Tim ever gets to be more than "The gay robin" from now on maybe he'll be get a chance to become compelling again too.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Some people aren't happy on Twitter either which suprises me because it's basically the most Pro-LGBTQ+ social media site.
    OK one more time. The problem isn't that someone is gay. Who cares about that right? The problem is that an established and liked character is suddenly turned gay/bi 32 years into the story with no apparent reason at all. It blows, it's unfair to fans and it's completely fake. Period.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    What kind of lead up would you have wanted?
    Apologies if this was already answered, I haven't read all 10 pages of this thread yet. That said:

To those who have serious problems with these sort of reveals, I don't think any hypothetical "lead up" would make them happy. Look at Iceman (whose reveal, imho, made more sense than Tim's does); people have pulled up X-Men quotes/panels/pages dating back to the 1960's that can easily be interpreted as closeted commentary i.e. "lead up", and most readers don't except it because it wasn't the intention of the writer at the time or because he dated Opal Tanaka for five minutes.

People have an issue with established characters coming out, but then they also have a problem with new LGBT characters being created, and label them "tokens" or "SJW this", "woke that", etc. There's really no winning.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    A lot of people on Twitter are not who they say they are. The second post is especially suspect, based on my prior experience a lot of these accounts that use the term 'disingenuous pandering' and 'us Black Americans' aren't actually black.
    Correct, I've seen it several times. That's not to there aren't people that agree but there's an unusual amount of weirdos on the net pretending to be black to stir the pot.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

As far as Tim being bi goes, yes it's.most likely pandering but at the end of the day it's up to DC to actually do something with that. He can be the bi token character or the writers can actually write a quality story where the recent developments mean something.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Alan Scott wasn't enough? Good grief...
    Neither was The Ray or Poison Ivy. At this point I assume every character in the DC universe is either closet gay or bi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    Neither was The Ray or Poison Ivy. At this point I assume every character in the DC universe is either closet gay or bi
    It's the same over at Marvel, anyone could be outed at any day. Over at X-Men island everyone is gay and has always been, especially if you ask people over at the X board.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    One can hope!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Retroactively changing a fundemental aspect of a character with a 30 year history out of nowhere is lazy writing. This should be an opportunity for DC to give lesser known LGBT chararters like Mikaal Tomas, Tasmanian Devil, Grace Choi, Thunder and Obsidian a time in the spotlight.
    I couldn't agree with this more.
    I feel the same regarding the recent changes made to Alan Scott. Yes, it worked fine in the Earth 2 book, but I don't like the retcon for the original.

Especially when there are some seriously neglected characters within the DCU to highlight as an alternative.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I agree with Shimbo that it seems to be putting a burden of expectations on queer narratives that don't exist for straight ones.

Especially as, again, the only romance he has with a woman that matter is Steph, and this doesn't invalidate anything at all.
    Don't forget Cassie! This finally has paved the way for the Robin/Superboy/Wonder Girl throuple we always deserved. THAT is a Trinity.