Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Was there this much complaining when Ivy, Harley, Harper, Kate, Holly and Renee Montoya all came out as gay or bi?
    It's been pretty strange that most of the women in the Bat comics are gay or bi while until very recently there's been no prominent non heterosexual men.
    There really is no pleasing people. If a new gay character was introduced people would say there was already too many Bat characters. There's always a reason why this isn't the right character to be LGBT, this isn't the right time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    See, I'm trying not to take offense at that comment.
    That ain't where I'm coming from.
    I'm complaining as it simply strikes me as shock factor, not character progression.
    Same with the Alan Scott retcon.
    There are a number of awesome queer characters in the DCU already. If you wanna be serious, let's drag them out of mothballs and put some shine on them.
    Mikaal Tomas, Tasmanian Devil, Grace Choi, Thunder, Obsidian, Ice Maiden, Pied Piper - all worth a dusting off and a higher profile.
    Not shoehorning a member of the Bat family for expediency.
    What do u need as character progression. Or should I ask how many issues is needed before character progression is considered sufficient. Most writers last ard 12 issues at a series, so they do not have much time to properly flesh out over 10 issues. Also, name dropping lgbtq characters isnÂ’t a reason why we canÂ’t have more lgbtq characters.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I think the answer to that question isn't a pretty one - the majority of this planet's population simply doesn't like gay people. Be their reasons cultural, religious, etc. they find our very existence offensive and disgusting. *shrug*
    Sad but true, I’m guilty myself for internalized homophobia for a huge majority of my life.
    Last edited by nightrider; 08-11-2021 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Was there this much complaining when Ivy, Harley, Harper, Kate, Holly and Renee Montoya all came out as gay or bi?
    It's been pretty strange that most of the women in the Bat comics are gay or bi while until very recently there's been no prominent non heterosexual men.
    Lesbians = Hot

Gay men = Gross
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Hey folks, according to wikipedia: As a percentage of all US adults, 3.1% identify as bisexual, 1.4% as gay, 0.7% as lesbian, and 0.6% as transgender.

So how much representation is enough for you exactly? Is it when Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Thor and Captain America are all out and proud? And your communities are the only ones reading these funny books?

Serious question from a straight dude.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Hey folks, according to wikipedia: As a percentage of all US adults, 3.1% identify as bisexual, 1.4% as gay, 0.7% as lesbian, and 0.6% as transgender.

So how much representation is enough for you exactly? Is it when Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Thor and Captain America are all out and proud? And your communities are the only ones reading these funny books?

Less than 6% of characters identify as any of those things, and that percentage gets much, much, much smaller if you actually go back and include the entire history of comics.

That said that's reported data and a large amount of people who would identify as something other than straight don't want to identify otherwise in our society due to hatred and spite towards them for existing. So your numbers are necessarily smaller than they realistically are and even then they aren't representative.

Wonder Woman is bisexual, anyhow, so enjoy that one.

Serious question from a gay dude: Why are you so combative about this? How many dozens upon hundreds of straight characters do you have to represent what you like that you have to be so distinctly unpleasant whenever someone isn't straight?
    Last edited by Dred; 08-11-2021 at 07:46 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's weird that people want to put a cap on queer representation in a genre that mostly revolves around muscular, handsome dudes that wear skin tight outfits that leave little to the imagination as they wrestle each other and tie each other up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Wonder Woman is bisexual, anyhow, so enjoy that one.
    Lol yeah, and I can't imagine anyone justifiably making a stink out of that one considering the origins of her creations, and the "Suffering Sappho!" exclamations.

BANNED

All I see is whataboutism. Why y'all ain't answering my question? How much is enough?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I don’t understand one thing though, why is it that straight people cannot enjoy or read a comic about a gay character? I’ve been reading about straight characters my whole life and I have no problems with it. Does a character being different from yourself takes the enjoyment out of reading it?
    People aren't gonna accept a drastic change to a favourite character overnight. Nobody got angry at Bluebird, Renee Montoya and Kate. People got mad at stuff like attempting to kill off Nightwing and Batman being a real dad.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

All I see is whataboutism. Why y'all ain't answering my question? How much is enough?
    Why entertain a faulty premise? You're acting like this is a disease that has to run its course when it's just DC, after literal decades, mildly more reflecting humanity.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It isnt enough until the Batman/Superman title features Bruce/Clark as cute boyfriends who fight crime together.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Considering the vast majority of characters not only in mainstream comics but media as a whole are heterosexual...it's impossible to quantify "enough", but I think it's safe to say the people who are really craving more and varied representation don't see what we currently have is enough.

And anyway, yes, the premise is faulty as others have said.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

First it's wikipedia. I could change that in a microsecond. And 2nd...do you know how many straight people are still in closet? Cause I can tell you it's WHOLE LOTTA em that likely identify as bi-sexual if it were acceptable.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    People aren't gonna accept a drastic change to a favourite character overnight. Nobody got angry at Bluebird, Renee Montoya and Kate. People got mad at stuff like attempting to kill off Nightwing and Batman being a real dad.
    This is not even true, maybe not as huge there were some complaints

Extraordinary Member

Not to get into too much debate over my views, but it is an opinion shared by many. You'all should remember that most people in the world aren't actually gay and thus probably can not relate.

It's simple comic book 101, characters people want to read about need to be at least mostly relatable. Just saying. No need to get all woke about it.

Okay, so according to you, being either a billionaire who can afford fancy bat-themed gadgets and ALSO a master martial artist or a Norse thunder god who wields a mystic hammer is all fine and dandy...but being LGBTQ+ is a step too far...

Honestly, that’s close-minded nonsense. Even conceding the point that people who identify as LGBTQ+ make up a minority of the U.S. population or just the comic book audience doesn't mean that they should not receive representation in this medium.

By your logic, there wouldn't be characters of color, so say goodbye to Black Panther and Black Lightning and Katana and pretty much all the nonwhite characters out there...

Also, I love how you've trotted out "when will it be enough?" argument when only ONE of FIVE Robins just happens to be bi...
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-11-2021 at 08:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    First it's wikipedia. I could change that in a microsecond. And 2nd...do you know how many straight people are still in closet? Cause I can tell you it's WHOLE LOTTA em that likely identify as bi-sexual if it were acceptable.
    See I don't care about any of that and it doesn't really have anything to do with me. But I love funnybooks and I do care when this is being done to Iceman, Hercules (Gee I wonder should I start hanging out outside gay clubs to sell my old Champions issues which featured both, although they were both supposedly straight at the time), Alan Scott and Tim Drake to name a few.

Still no answer. And "faulty premise" isn't an answer at all.