Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hero talk View Post
    I explained in my post above
    I agree with Shimbo that it seems to be putting a burden of expectations on queer narratives that don't exist for straight ones.

Especially as, again, the only romance he has with a woman that matter is Steph, and this doesn't invalidate anything at all.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    If you used punctuation, this would be a much easier read.

Bernard was a character introduced in his own series, so he's an old friend. And haha, what an arbitrary number of adventures (10!) before the topic could be razed. How many characters go on 10 adventures with another character before a date happens? Doesn't Dick have a new love interest in legit every run he has ever had, without 10 adventures with said ladies? Also, where is the space in the line for this to have happened? He got 3 10 page back-ups in an anthology title. He doesn't have a solo or a team book where this could be brought up, and even in a team context, it's difficult to focus on individual character's personal issues within the larger superhero framework.

Bernard is the one that asks him out at the end. Tim says yes. After he gets encouragement to figure out what he's feeling from someone that went through something similar. Your way would be fine (except for the ridiculous gatekeeping 10!!!! adventures with a non-hero character as the prerequisite to depicting interest lol) but it didn't happen.

Is your criticism the storytelling and writing or is it the introduction of a queer narrative? It's hard for me to tell.
    10 adventure would give people time to get to know Bernard and learn stuff they like about him and why tim would fall in love with him remember not everybody knows who Bernard is if they were going to do this they should have made the space for
    a longer story
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

10 adventure would give people time to get to know Bernard and learn stuff they like about him and why tim would fall in love with him remember not everybody knows who Bernard is if they were going to do this they should have made the space for
    a longer story

is 10 a magical number?
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Incredible Member

a longer story
    Assuming they follow this story up, you will still get to learn why Tim is interested in Bernard. From in text clues, he thinks Bernard is good looking. And the kid can clearly hold his own in a fight if you actually read the issues you're complaining about. Also, plenty of people go on blind dates or with people they've just met, based on looks.

Buy the books and support a character you purport to like and maybe we'll get to see this story play out and you'll find answers to your questions.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    is 10 a magical number?
    in some cases yes

I can maybe see an argument for some build up to relationships, but 10 stories/adventures is way too much. Especially as male superheroes frequently have gotten new female love interests thrown at them, sometimes before the first adventure is even up.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I can maybe see an argument for some build up to relationships, but 10 stories/adventures is way too much. Especially as male superheroes frequently have gotten new female love interests thrown at them, sometimes before the first adventure is even up.
    Thanks for the back up Siege!

And from my reading of the issue, they're not in a relationship. They've set up a date after their friendly reunion was interrupted by villainy lol.

People tend to have very rigid views on sexuality.

I’ve had friends and classmates that to my assumption were straight only for them to come out as gay or bi. Usually after high school.

Plus it’s not like people haven’t been married with kids only to divorce or separate and ultimately paid with someone of the same sex. Their are countless real world examples. That’s why the argument it’s out of character doesn’t really hold to me. Tim’s had at most one serious romantic interest since his creation, and he’s still the same character he’s always been
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

Assuming they follow this story up, you will still get to learn why Tim is interested in Bernard. From in text clues, he thinks Bernard is good looking. And the kid can clearly hold his own in a fight if you actually read the issues you're complaining about. Also, plenty of people go on blind dates or with people they've just met, based on looks.

Buy the books and support a character you purport to like and maybe we'll get to see this story play out and you'll find answers to your questions.
    I have all those books even if they do more romance now the just finding out how they really feel has already been done with ...so ... now we'll never get a will they get together will they realize how they feel story they are already going out
    by romance story standards there practical married no surprise first kiss no should I tell him what if he doesn't feel the same way no sleepless nights wondering what they should say

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    and those stories were also crap

BANNED

Making established, decades old characters retroactively gay/bi/whatever out of the blue is and has always been wack, not to mention disrespectful to long time fans of said characters.

Thanks for the back up Siege!
    No prob!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    People tend to have very rigid views on sexuality.

I’ve had friends and classmates that to my assumption were straight only for them to come out as gay or bi. Usually after high school.

Plus it’s not like people haven’t been married with kids only to divorce or separate and ultimately paid with someone of the same sex. Their are countless real world examples. That’s why the argument it’s out of character doesn’t really hold to me. Tim’s had at most one serious romantic interest since his creation, and he’s still the same character he’s always been
    Yeah, especially as these are fictional characters and the main reason they default to being straight is just because it's perceived as the norm. And since these days we know a character doesn't have to be either/or, bi/pan/whatever opens up options.

Even in the case of Alan, as an unbiased observer who isn't invested in Alan either way, the time period he's from and the societal pressures he was under makes it come across as authentic that he'd be closeted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Making established, decades old characters retroactively gay/bi/whatever out of the blue is and has always been wack, not to mention disrespectful to long time fans of said characters.
    In what way is this disrespectful to long time fans? They've changed absolutely nothing about his past and all of his previous history is still intact.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Oh wow, profound hot take!

At least the OP attempted to justify it with "No build up".

Like, are we just gonna ignore the fact that these characters are loosely established at best, thanks to the constant retcons and reboots?