Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It isnt enough until the Batman/Superman title features Bruce/Clark as cute boyfriends who fight crime together.

It’s why we have Midnighter and Apollo.

I've seen those statistics before quoting one percent are gay and it's bs. There's a lot more than that. I know enough about research to know that the way that data is collected - often without anonymity, without a large enough sample, who is being sampled etc - can influence the data. I heard one percent back in the early 90s and there are for sure many many more people that identify as gay than that. Far more younger people are feeling comfortable and safe identifying as LGBT than ever before.
    When you look at bisexuality I'd be surprised if that's not a majority of people.
    Funny how back a few decades ago people who are very very concerned over statistic weren't crying out for more LGBT characters when we went decades with none. No one is going to be able to draw a line and say this many is enough - and no one should. It's not just a numbers game as you can have dozens of LGBT characters who are in the background or in limbo, like Bunker who was a new gay character introduced like we're supposed to want and now he's rarely ever seen. Representation isn't just counting heads, it includes prominence too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    The public never care for new ones.
    and the public is going to care about one of the robins?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    See I don't care about any of that and it doesn't really have anything to do with me. But I love funnybooks and I do care when this is being done to Iceman, Hercules (Gee I wonder should I start hanging out outside gay clubs to sell my old Champions issues which featured both, although they were both supposedly straight at the time), Alan Scott and Tim Drake to name a few.

Still no answer. And "faulty premise" isn't an answer at all.
    So you clearly don't know much about Greek myth....

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    DC will miss you oh so much.

Also, you do know that James Tynion IV is...bisexual, right? And him being queer is most likely a contributing factor to this being a new direction for the character.
    so im middle eastern so if i write comics I should change every characters race to middle eastern??

Mighty Member

Hey folks, according to wikipedia: As a percentage of all US adults, 3.1% identify as bisexual, 1.4% as gay, 0.7% as lesbian, and 0.6% as transgender.

So how much representation is enough for you exactly? Is it when Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Thor and Captain America are all out and proud? And your communities are the only ones reading these funny books?

Serious question from a straight dude.
    If comics are aimed at a younger demographic according to Gallup Generation Z -- with 15.9% identify as LGBT and 9.1% of millennials

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    and the public is going to care about one of the robins?
    It's a trending news story right now, so there is some level of interest.
    Tim carried a title for years. He could do so again regardless of his orientation if DC cared enough about him to treat him right.
    Giving Damien a new code name and letting Tim be THE Robin would go a long way to getting him back to the place of importance he belongs. Damien isn't going to want the name Robin once he's old enough, while Tim wants and deserves it.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

See I don't care about any of that and it doesn't really have anything to do with me. But I love funnybooks and I do care when this is being done to Iceman, Hercules (Gee I wonder should I start hanging out outside gay clubs to sell my old Champions issues which featured both, although they were both supposedly straight at the time), Alan Scott and Tim Drake to name a few.

Wow and how many established characters are still straight? Cause I bet the ratio is a big one. We can also list a lot of top athletes that came out as gay later in life.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    It’s why we have Midnighter and Apollo.
    We are obviously selfish so might as well make the biggest two heroes that everyone knows (cause nobody knows who Midnighter and Apollo are) an official couple.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Also, I love how you've trotted "when will it be enough" argument when only ONE of FIVE Robins just happens to be bi...
    Realistic number would be 0,155 actually.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Tim carried a title for years. He could do so again regardless of his orientation if DC cared enough about him to treat him right.
    Giving Damien a new code name and letting Tim be THE Robin would go a long way to getting him back to the place of importance he belongs. Damien isn't going to want the name Robin once he's old enough, while Tim wants and deserves it.
    everything is "trending" now adays. Anytime DC has done this it trended for a day or two and then the public didnt give a ****. Same thing with Green Lantern in 2012 (Earth-2), Green Lantern again this year, and The Ray. DC thinks this is gonna give them a sales boost because they created controversy and stirred the pot. They dont care about actual diversity this is a sales tactic since no one cares about characters dying anymore plain and simple.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Kate used to trend too and look how that turned out.
    "Cable was right!"

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    What do u need as character progression. Or should I ask how many issues is needed before character progression is considered sufficient. Most writers last ard 12 issues at a series, so they do not have much time to properly flesh out over 10 issues. Also, name dropping lgbtq characters isnĀ’t a reason why we canĀ’t have more lgbtq characters.
    C'mon. Mate, you're pulling my chain.
    As mentioned earlier, we've had 30 years with the character Tim Drake. For me? Throwing this out there is just a way to stir up interest in the current book.
    For it to work, it'd want to be really well handled and written. As I've said the Alan Scott retcon didn't work for me at all and I don't think it's been particularly well handled.

And I'm not saying we can't have more characters. FFS, there should be SO much more diversity in comic books.
    What I AM saying, is why not use the under utilised characters you have or simply create a new character?? Lord knows if it's done well readers will embrace them.
    Bunker was the saving grace in the last Teen Titans relaunch and he's a fan favourite.
    Marc Andreyko's take on Todd Rice was sublime.
    Write a great story that just happens to involve a LGBTQ character. Don't just throw out an established characters' sexuality to stir the pot. I find it tacky.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

All I see is whataboutism. Why y'all ain't answering my question? How much is enough?
    Serious question from a gay dude then. How many straight characters is enough for you.

24.6378% of all comic characters. Since you're insistent on an actual number.

It's "enough" when people stop complaining every time it happens.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans