Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Don't forget Cassie! This finally has paved the way for the Robin/Superboy/Wonder Girl throuple we always deserved. THAT is a Trinity.
    I would actually totally be ok with that in all seriousness.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Not to get into too much debate over my views, but it is an opinion shared by many. You'all should remember that most people in the world aren't actually gay and thus probably can not relate.

It's simple comic book 101, characters people want to read about need to be at least mostly relatable. Just saying. No need to get all woke about it.
    Not sure what world you live in but there is a huge group of LGBTQ comic book readers. X-men franchise for instance attracts lots of LGBTQ readers. Also I’m not sure where you’re from but majority of the people I know are gay or closeted. Just because you don’t know any gay people, doesnt mean they don’t exists.

Incredible Member

It's the same over at Marvel, anyone could be outed at any day. Over at X-Men island everyone is gay and has always been, especially if you ask people over at the X board.
    Sounds like a grand old time.

Crying about a fictional, teenaged character exploring his sexuality on an internet forum is a pretty snowflake thing to do. For those of you who don't like it, there's back issues of Robin still available at your local comic shop!

Or maybe you can write fan fiction of him and Stephanie! Or perhaps, don't read the books he's in. Since it offends you so. And DC will shed all the tears missing yall.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Apologies if this was already answered, I haven't read all 10 pages of this thread yet. That said:

To those who have serious problems with these sort of reveals, I don't think any hypothetical "lead up" would make them happy. Look at Iceman (whose reveal, imho, made more sense than Tim's does); people have pulled up X-Men quotes/panels/pages dating back to the 1960's that can easily be interpreted as closeted commentary i.e. "lead up", and most readers don't except it because it wasn't the intention of the writer at the time or because he dated Opal Tanaka for five minutes.

People have an issue with established characters coming out, but then they also have a problem with new LGBT characters being created, and label them "tokens" or "SJW this", "woke that", etc. There's really no winning.
    There is absolutely no winning because, if we read between the lines, those complaining just want everyone to be like them and look like them and be tailored to them specifically. God forbid DC make a decision aimed at a different demographic.

Astonishing Member

OK one more time. The problem isn't that someone is gay. Who cares about that right? The problem is that an established and liked character is suddenly turned gay/bi 32 years into the story with no apparent reason at all. It blows, it's unfair to fans and it's completely fake. Period.
    I came out as gay when I’m 30. Before that I’ve dated at least 6 girls and had sex with more than a couple. No one that i came out to tells me I’m being fake for being in the closet for 30 years. Besides, all the robins has always been fantasized by fans for being gay, there are so many fanfics n fan art out there, google it.
    Ultimately nothing is gonna make people happy due to this internalized homophobia that many of us has, but I applaud the writers daring to make a difference.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Sounds like a grand old time.

Crying about a fictional, teenaged character exploring his sexuality on an internet forum is a pretty snowflake thing to do. For those of you who don't like it, there's back issues of Robin still available at your local comic shop!

Or maybe you can write fan fiction of him and Stephanie! Or perhaps, don't read the books he's in. Since it offends you so. And DC will shed all the tears missing yall.
    There is absolutely no winning because, if we read between the lines, those complaining just want everyone to be like them and look like them and be tailored to them specifically. God forbid DC make a decision aimed at a different demographic.
    I don’t understand one thing though, why is it that straight people cannot enjoy or read a comic about a gay character? I’ve been reading about straight characters my whole life and I have no problems with it. Does a character being different from yourself takes the enjoyment out of reading it?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I came out as gay when I’m 30. Before that I’ve dated at least 6 girls and had sex with more than a couple. No one that i came out to tells me I’m being fake for being in the closet for 30 years. Besides, all the robins has always been fantasized by fans for being gay, there are so many fanfics n fan art out there, google it.
    Ultimately nothing is gonna make people happy due to this internalized homophobia that many of us has, but I applaud the writers daring to make a difference.
    But did you have lead up to being gay lol

Incredible Member

I don’t understand one thing though, why is it that straight people cannot enjoy or read a comic about a gay character? I’ve been reading about straight characters my whole life and I have no problems with it. Does a character being different from yourself takes the enjoyment out of reading it?
    A couple of us touched on that earlier in the thread.

What I get from all of it is straight people feel like something is being taken away from them and that we should just shut up about wanting better representations for real world demographics and find something of ourselves in characters palatable to them.

It's the same thing with BIPOC characters.

Then they justify their views with, "pandering", "woke", "lazy" and my absolute favorite, "why don't they just create a wholly new (insert whatever undesirable demographic) character instead?"

The irony is this is only happening because a new character, Damian Wayne, was created and usurped Tim's role. See what happens when you create new characters!?! The horror.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 08-11-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Hhahaha, I really did not have any lead up to majority of my friends. Guess that makes me being gay not real.

Mighty Member

I don’t understand one thing though, why is it that straight people cannot enjoy or read a comic about a gay character?

I think this is the $65 million dollar question.

Tim Drake was my favorite DC comics character yesterday. Today? Nothing meaningful has changed, he's still my favorite and will continue to be. We learned something new about him, which potentially helps bring the character back to his roots in some ways (getting his civilian life back into his story). Way I see it that's not a bad thing by any measure, though we'll obviously have to wait and see how DC follows up on this development moving forward.

If you enjoyed the character, how does learning this new thing about him so completely change your perspective? I totally get arguments that it wasn't well executed, or they should have approached it from a different angle, or what have you. Preferences for style of storytelling are very much a thing, and completely legit. But how has the character truly changed in any way with this latest reveal?

Feels like Jason would have made more sense to change given the lack of any established love interests for him. He was more malleable even if it isn't great. It has been interesting to see how many people that showed no interest in the character, like didn't post in his thread or discuss the character at all, suddenly say he is now one of their favorites. I'm on record saying that I don't like such big changes to a character with such established history in the main canon. Be it sexuality or race. The New 52 Wally West race change didn't get enough backlash for how forced it felt in my opinion, but I am more interested in seeing how the people that stuck with and followed the character through the rough last decade feel about such a major change.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    This. This is the winning post of the whole thread. Thank you, for slaying me with your sarcasm hahaha. Love it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Feels like Jason would have made more sense to change given the lack of any established love interests for him. He was more malleable even if it isn't great. It has been interesting to see how many people that showed no interest in the character, like didn't post in his thread or discuss the character at all, suddenly say he is now one of their favorites. I'm on record saying that I don't like such big changes to a character with such established history in the main canon. Be it sexuality or race. The New 52 Wally West race change didn't get enough backlash for how forced it felt in my opinion, but I am more interested in seeing how the people that stuck with and followed the character through the rough last decade feel about such a major change.
    That was tone deaf and mired in racist stereotypes.

But Wallace and Wally are separate characters now and DC has course corrected that ship.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

See, I'm trying not to take offense at that comment.
    That ain't where I'm coming from.
    I'm complaining as it simply strikes me as shock factor, not character progression.
    Same with the Alan Scott retcon.
    There are a number of awesome queer characters in the DCU already. If you wanna be serious, let's drag them out of mothballs and put some shine on them.
    Mikaal Tomas, Tasmanian Devil, Grace Choi, Thunder, Obsidian, Ice Maiden, Pied Piper - all worth a dusting off and a higher profile.
    Not shoehorning a member of the Bat family for expediency.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I think the answer to that question isn't a pretty one - the majority of this planet's population simply doesn't like gay people. Be their reasons cultural, religious, etc. they find our very existence offensive and disgusting. *shrug*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES