Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Thanks for the back up Siege!

And from my reading of the issue, they're not in a relationship. They've set up a date after their friendly reunion was interrupted by villainy lol.
    a date by romance story standards means there together unless they were forced on a date because of an arranged marriage or a bet
    sure in real life it does not mean your together in real life if you go on a date but in a story there is suppose to be drama suspense unknown
    now the only thing we have to wonder about is whether they will order the chicken or fish on their date
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

I thought they did a really good job with Alan Scott in that Green Lantern 80th Anniversary special. Hell, making him gay and adding that bit to his origin made him MUCH more interesting to me. It is all about the quality of the story because when they first introduced the African American Wally West I hated it because it was done terribly.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

The "no build up" argument is really weak considering how long LGBT readers have been calling attention to all the little signs.

MAYBE if people listened, and tried just a little bit to look at their points from a perspective that not their own, it wouldn't be such a surprise to them. (It wasn't to me, and I'm as straight as an arrow).

That said, this thread has just took away my drive for discussing comics for at least a week.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by hero talk View Post
    a date by romance story standards means there together unless they were forced on a date because of an arranged marriage or a bet
    sure in real life it does not mean your together in real life if you go on a date but in a story there is suppose to be drama suspense unknown
    now the only thing we have to wonder about is whether they will order the chicken or fish on their date
    You have an extremely myopic view of what a romance story is. Having every story like that would get real boring real fast.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I have never looked at it that way. But maybe that is because in the US there is some kind of weird taboo around sex? I don't know...it has never made me look Barbara as any different.
    It's not a taboo about sex that people have an issue with here at all.

It's reducing Barbara to her role as "the woman" in the Bat-family, who exists to be the love interest for any of the Bat-males, whichever one it's in vogue to pair her up with at any given time. Once Damian is older, she will be paired with him in something too, and it will be very stupid.

Incredible Member

I hope this point is taken seriously. There is a larger point beyond Tim Drake. The way that female heroes have
    been treated by DC.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's not a taboo about sex that people have an issue with here at all.

It's reducing Barbara to her role as "the woman" in the Bat-family, who exists to be the love interest for any of the Bat-males, whichever one it's in vogue to pair her up with at any given time. Once Damian is older, she will be paired with him in something too, and it will be very stupid.
    I would understand that if Barbara wasn't such a prominent character. She has had her own book for a decade now and before that was the lead in BOP for MANY years. She is one of the most iconic DC characters IMO.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    You have an extremely myopic view of what a romance story is. Having every story like that would get real boring real fast.
    yes drama suspense and unknown have always been real story killers goodness knows most people read romance to hear about the two people just looking at each other all day

The Batman 89 book has Barbara engaged to Harvey Dent who isn't even a Bat family member. So I can see the argument about her often being pigeonholed as "the love interest". It's weird because she's a very prominent character and perhaps the lead female character in the Bat mythos, alongside Catwoman. Yet you don't see them do something like that with someone like Black Canary for instance.

Yeah personally I do not get the argument about not being able to relate to characters that are a different race or sexual orientation. Just tell good stories! That is all I want.

But heh yeah as a dork I DO get wanting your favorite characters to look and act like the ones you grew up with. That isn't racist or homophobic...that's just an extra level or dork. If I was ever lucky enough to get a Wally West Flash movie I would want him to be a white guy with red hair who falls in love with Linda Park. A Korean woman.

Quote Originally Posted by hero talk View Post
    yes drama suspense and unknown have always been real story killers goodness knows most people read romance to hear about the two people just looking at each other all day
    And all that can still happen with the way this story is structured. A date isn't a marriage.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Niffleheim

IMHO Representation isn't the goal here, it is just a byproduct of good marketing. Tim needed something to differentiate him from the other Robins and this should make him relevant in the future and also it might even gain him a whole new group of fans.. Expand the fanbase lol!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I would understand that if Barbara wasn't such a prominent character. She has had her own book for a decade now and before that was the lead in BOP for MANY years. She is one of the most iconic DC characters IMO.
    Is she a prominent character? Beyond having a solo that keeps having to be re-started, she's lost the impact she had as Oracle with the BOP, and DC's sporadic treatment of Steph and Cass (if they are even around) so she's the only female of note doesn't help. We then have stuff like fighting over her being what broke up the Dynamic Duo in the DCAU, them flirting with the idea of making her the center of a CW/YA style love triangle with Dick and Jason, and the animated TKJ fiasco.

It all sort of flies in the face of the roots of the character where she was meant to be an independent free female agent who was meant to contrast with Kathy and Betty Kane, (a.k.a Batman and Robin's groupies/beards). She had a flirty dynamic with Dick in the Bronze age which was adapted into BTAS where they became love interests and that would have worked fine if left as is. But then they made it a love triangle with Bruce and it started a gross trend.

Incredible Member

Yeah personally I do not get the argument about not being able to relate to characters that are a different race or sexual orientation. Just tell good stories! That is all I want.

But heh yeah as a dork I DO get wanting your favorite characters to look and act like the ones you grew up with. That isn't racist or homophobic...that's just an extra level or dork. If I was ever lucky enough to get a Wally West Flash movie I would want him to be a white guy with red hair who falls in love with Linda Park. A Korean woman.
    Tim still looks like Tim. Tim still acts like Tim. Lobdell's bastardization of his characterization in nu52 TT is a lot less Tim than what Meghan Fitzmartin delivered in this story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    And all that can still happen with the way this story is structured. A date isn't a marriage.
    not really they both already know they like each other and are going out no ones going to disagree with them going out in the story list they be called a bigit so no forbidden love
    and the first kiss can't be far away jane austen said after the first kiss the story is over