Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    yes if the character was being gay before
    Being a guy and kissing girls doesnt make you automatically straight.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Making established, decades old characters retroactively gay/bi/whatever out of the blue is and has always been wack, not to mention disrespectful to long time fans of said characters.

just wooow!

I don't think in this case DC actually cares about long time fans... Actually, they are trying to be more appealing to generation Z.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    just wooow!

I don't think in this case DC actually cares about long time fans... Actually, they are trying to be more appealing to generation Z.
    That's my read. Him being straight didn't help his luck in 2010s til now. The old Tim fans were burned by the Nu52 and the one's left aren't enough to support a solo or even buy the team books he was in.

Maybe this helps him stay relevant and appearing in books. Maybe not.

BANNED

Not to get into too much debate over my views, but it is an opinion shared by many. You'all should remember that most people in the world aren't actually gay and thus probably can not relate.

It's simple comic book 101, characters people want to read about need to be at least mostly relatable. Just saying. No need to get all woke about it.
    Last edited by Ying Ko; 08-11-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added "at least mostly" to avoid useless nitpicking

Not to get into too much debate over my views, but it is an opinion shared by many. You'all should remember that most people in the world aren't actually gay and thus probably can not relate.

It's simple comic book 101, characters people want to read about need to be relatable. Just saying. No need to get all woke about it.
    I'm not a female, therefore I can't even get into a comic with a female lead? Yeah, no.

Relationships are relationships, regardless of the sex of the people involved. 90% of the relationship problems LGBT people have are the same type hetero couples have.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's simple comic book 101, characters people want to read about need to be relatable. Just saying. No need to get all woke about it.
    If people only read about characters they related to personally on all levels, they'd have nothing to read.

Batman would have no female fanbase because they aren't straight men, so why would they want to read about him?

Incredible Member

So I guess BIPOC and people with disabilities are straight out of luck and have to see themselves in able-bodied straight, white people? What about women? Why do children's books have mostly...children in them?

You can't relate to queer people? Seems like an empathy issue, and you're right, many people suffer from that deficiency.

I am fine with it...but to play devils advocate for a second, some people get upset about these things not because they are homophobic or racist...some just want their comics, adaptions to look and feel like they used to. I , for one, was upset that Barry Allen was not a blonde in the TV show at first. And I have brown hair as well. So it isn't that I hate blondes.

And just because someone else mentioned it...I do not understand why some people are upset that Barbara Gordon is paired with multiple Bat characters whether it is crossed media or not.

Alan Scott wasn't enough? Good grief...

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    And just because someone else mentioned it...I do not understand why some people are upset that Barbara Gordon is paired with multiple Bat characters whether it is crossed media or not.
    Because it's usually a sign that the Bat-franchise just views her as The Girl who needs to be passed around between the prominent men, whichever would result in the most popularity at any given time.

Like she's less of a character with her own identity and a more of a prop.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    So I guess BIPOC and people with disabilities are straight out of luck and have to see themselves in able-bodied straight, white people? What about women? Why do children's books have mostly...children in them?

You can't relate to queer people? Seems like an empathy issue, and you're right, many people suffer from that deficiency.
    Dear Shimbo... they just don't get it...

whatever.. i'm going back to read Batman... oh wait... i'm not a hetero American man! ohhhh daaaamn
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

This is a extremely lazy form of representation on DC's part. Push Renee Montoya and Kate Kane.

I guess I should toss my Xena and Sailor Moon stuff cuz I'm not a queer female.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    This is a extremely lazy form of representation on DC's part. Push Renee Montoya and Kate Kane.
    Is there something wrong having queer male characters?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Because it's usually a sign that the Bat-franchise just views her as The Girl who needs to be passed around between the prominent men, whichever would result in the most popularity at any given time.

Like she's less of a character with her own identity and a more of a prop.
    I have never looked at it that way. But maybe that is because in the US there is some kind of weird taboo around sex? I don't know...it has never made me look Barbara as any different.