Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Scaly panties in Urban Legends, which is his only flashbacks appearance post Infinite Frontier

Astonishing Member

This looks great!

You know, for all the millions of Year One/Year Two era Batman stories we've gotten over the last 30-plus years, we've only got a fraction of that amount of stories dealing with Dick's origin and early days as Robin. This has been particularly true since the New 52.

We often discuss whether Robin as a concept makes sense today, and how it could be translated 'realistically' to the big-screen. And I feel a story like this, if done right, could do wonders for Robin, and even potentially serve as a template for a big-screen reintroduction of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh. Yeah. That reminds me. The official origin, shown in Taylor's Nightwing, since he's in charge of the character, shows Dick in flashback wearing the scaly panties. So this would be a non canon Whiteout Black Label lol.
    The all-black suit in the preview is clearly a beta-suit. I think Dick adopting the iconic red, yellow and green colors will be a part of his arc in this mini, leading to the suit on the covers.

I don't think there's any contradiction here. The classic ''scaly panties'' suit may well be something Dick adopts after the events of this story. If the Year One suit and the Zero Year suit can both be canon for Bruce, the same can be the case for Robin suits.

As long as that god-awful New 52 suit doesn't see the light of day again...

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Don't they mostly still use Jason's New 52 Robin costume for him?
    Jason's New 52 suit was great, unlike Dick's!

I like the idea of the Robins having had multiple suits.

So Dick can start off with this suit, and move on to (or alternate with) his classic pantless suit.

Jason could have started off with the classic pantless suit, and wore his New 52 suit at some point as well.

Tim could have started with the classic pantless suit, moved on to his classic green pants suit, and also worn his all-red suit at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    TJason's New 52 suit was great, unlike Dick's!

I like the idea of the Robins having had multiple suits.

So Dick can start off with this suit, and move on to (or alternate with) his classic pantless suit.

Jason could have started off with the classic pantless suit, and wore his New 52 suit at some point as well.

Tim could have started with the classic pantless suit, moved on to his classic green pants suit, and also worn his all-red suit at some point.
    I think Robins should only go through 2-3 suits.

100% in for this title. Great creative team and I'm digging the new Robin costume, also like how his proto costume in the previews gives off big Nightwing vibes

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Lemire is always amazing and Nguyen doesn't know how to turn in a bad page so this will a near perfect book

Astonishing Member

Never read Jeff Lemire but will give it a go as Dustin Nguyen is one of my favourite artists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, at least they didn't bring back the New 52 Robin suit.
    Hate that costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Hate that costume.
    I don't miss it...

Fantastic Member

I'm sure I'll enjoy this if I end up reading it, but yeah, count me as one of those people who are kind of tired of them mining the "Year One" period.

I'd love to see someone do a modern take on, say, that Post-Early Years/Pre-"Dick goes to college" era of Batman's career.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like Lemire, although I'm kind of curious how this is going to stand out from Robin: Year One (besides Dick wearing pants).
    Lemire is the superior writer. That's how it stands out. I loved Dixon's 90s Tim solo, though. Still do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    I'm sure I'll enjoy this if I end up reading it, but yeah, count me as one of those people who are kind of tired of them mining the "Year One" period.

I'd love to see someone do a modern take on, say, that Post-Early Years/Pre-"Dick goes to college" era of Batman's career.
    To be fair, this isn't exactly the ''Year One'' period. The early days of the Dynamic Duo is an era that's been explored in the past, but not nearly as much as Batman's solo pre-Robin career.

I would totally be down for a story set during Dick's later years as Robin too...maybe with some heavy inspiration from BTAS (which was in turn inspired by that era!)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

This story looks like it's set within the 6 months Robin training, usually only done in a training montage, excepting the final part.

Robin Year One is his first year of official active duty as Robin, The Gauntlet was his final test before that.

Incredible Member

From Jeff Lemire's newsletter: a sneak peak at Robin and Batman #2:

Satellite era Justice League? The Teen Titans meeting on the Watchtower? Batman being supportive? Awesome .

Wait, so is this in continuity, out of continuity, replacing continuity, working alongside continuity, or what?
    Either way, I love the early years stuff for Batman and for Robin, so definitely interested in this, definitely going to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    We often discuss whether Robin as a concept makes sense today, and how it could be translated 'realistically' to the big-screen. And I feel a story like this, if done right, could do wonders for Robin, and even potentially serve as a template for a big-screen reintroduction of the character.
    This. Now I've made no qualms about the fact that I'm against doing a live action Robin in film in a serious/grounded non-campy/comedic film. But if they ever do decide to pull that trigger and go down the Robin origin in modern times live action film route, they're going to need some source material that isn't decades old. Some early modern Dick Robin takes like this is a necessity if that's ever going to happen. Because he sure isn't going out with bare legs or tights in a Hollywood movie.